Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sparkleswest

Which bathroom floor plan do you like best and why?

Seak and Sparrow
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Hello all!

I was wondering if you could tell me which one of the below floor plans do you like best and why. In the first one I have the makeup vanity in the master bathroom and in the next one I have moved it so its in the master bedroom. If I have it in the bathroom then I would have a smaller one on the wall opposite the window. If I have it in the bedroom then I would have it on the window wall but I would get windows that are high up on the wall above the mirror. Just a note I do not like a double sink and wouldn't want one. I also don't mind the smaller sink vanity if I have the makeup vanity as well in the bathroom. Both include a shower/tub wet room with a partial glass wall.

What are your thoughts? THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!

Comments (14)

• chiflipper
    4 years ago

If the vanity is to be a "built-in", I would opt for placing it in the bath. If it's to be "free-standing", either place is fine.

• Lars
    4 years ago

I would put the sink exactly opposite the sink in the secondary bathroom (with the same rounded corners, and then you could move the door closer to the bedroom wall and extend the bedroom wall that has the vanity. I agree with Acm that the walkway in #2 is just too narrow, but I do also prefer the make-up vanity in the bedroom.

• girl_wonder
    4 years ago

Is this new construction? I'm not a fan of those odd angles or the closed room for the toilet. Plus I'm guessing extra walls are more $ to build. BTW, what is on the right wall by the tubs (in the bottom two floor plans)?

These are more conventional layouts.

You have extra space so the vanity can be longer. It doesn't need to be two sinks, but it can be two-tiered, with a makeup area, something like this

BTW, are there any windows in the either of the bathrooms?

Are you working with an architect? Those are a lot of small bedrooms. I have a 1940 bungalow and the two front bedrooms (original to the house) are that 11x11 size. Tiny! As you can see, the bed is pushed against the wall. That is not great.

• PRO
    Seak and Sparrow
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Oh boy, I thought I had found a solution, because ideally we would really like to retain two full baths (for lifestyle and for house value). My husband and his family /friends all work in the trades (construction, plumbing and electrical) so a lot of the work will be done by us/them. I wanted to try and come up with a solid plan, but it looks like I'm still running into roadblocks so I may have to bring on an architect. This is a very old house with small rooms and narrow doorways. We actually love that! The living room is below the bathrooms and face the yard. Thank you for everyone's input. VERY HELPFUL!

Girl/wonder, I love the idea of the built in makeup vanity as part of the sink vanity. Thank you for that idea! There will be a window on the wall if you are looking at the plans to the right. It will be a new construction window, so we could essentially put it anywhere. Also, none of the bathrooms' walls (outside the one that is shared by the one in the hallway and the exterior wall, which is to the right of the master bathroom) are load-bearing so we could play around with where they are set.

So I guess if I was to make these spaces your average two rectangle shapes, how would you suggest laying out the master bathroom? Ideally, I would have a tub, but if it can't work, it can't (and I don't want a traditional shower tub combo as I much prefer a walk in shower as we age).

Here is a template of what we would be working with:

• felizlady
    4 years ago

I would not have a toilet in a separate room with a door but no sink because a person using the toilet should always wash h/h hands before touching the door knob.

• PRO
    Seak and Sparrow
    Original Author
    4 years ago

OK, I actually came up with two alternative plans. Note: The "walls" blocking the toilet are just short walls. Attaching the original idea as well. Thoughts?

• tangerinedoor
    4 years ago

Maybe I'm look at this incorrectly? How do you get into the toilet space and close the door behind you?

• PRO
    Seak and Sparrow
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Are you talking about the toilet room? I've done away with that idea after hearing sage advice on this post.

• Neo Nelle
    4 years ago

I like the one layout you drew up with the toilets furthest away from the bedroom.... it’s nice to have distance from certain sounds ;) also, it looks like there is room for some storage, or possibly a corner walk-in shower(?). Looking good!

• Neo Nelle
    4 years ago

Oops— I see it’s a walk-in shower—- Looks good!

• scottie mom
    4 years ago

If all your solutions involve staggered walls, outswing doors, and tiny passageways, you’re trying to fit too much in. Get an architect and/or a K/B designer. Old houses are tricky. Good luck.

• threepets37
    4 years ago

From your revised set of plans, what if you took #2 and swapped the sink and vanity in the M Bath? I don't think I'd want the vanity across from the toilet, and if you are sitting at the vanity, you are completely blocking tehe doorway.

• girl_wonder
    4 years ago

Another vote for bringing in an architect. I’m not clear on what is new construction vs. remodeling, which walls are new, and how this fits into the house overall or if there are extra issues to consider since this is the second floor. Etc.

I would do versions of the plans I posted. (With longer vanities). Can the doorways be moved? The master has 2 feet behind the door, and the hall one opens in the middle of the room. if that hallway door can’t be moved, I think the second plan is better (having the door open to the vanity). I’m still not a fan of walls around the toiliet and not sure what the other thing is on the plans of the master—a bidet? Again, I vote for bringing in a design pro. That $ is worth it.