stir_fryi

Confusing and Misleading specs on GPM shower heads

stir_fryi SE Mich

I am looking at the Delta Linden or Ashlyn shower packages on Build.com. I can't seem to figure out the actual GPM flow of the main showerhead.

https://www.build.com/delta-dss-linden-1401/s973718?uid=2415248

On the right under Dimensions and Measurements it says 2.5GPM. On the left under Shower System Specifications it says Shower Head Flow Rate: 2 gpm @ 80psi. Then if go to the webpage specifically for the showerhead ( T14294 ) it says 1.75gpm.

I am concerned about buying a shower head with a weak flow, but confused on how to pick one.

• catbuilder

"I am concerned about buying a shower head with a weak flow, but confused on how to pick one."

That's why you go to a plumbing showroom/warehouse. Try Herald Wholesale.

• Nancy in Mich

i second Herald Wholesale on Maple west of Crooks in Troy and add Wittock Kitchen and Bath east of the Van Dyke expressway and 23 Mile Rd at 50800 Corporate Dr, Shelby Charter Twp, MI 48315. They also have the running water displays. Premier plumbing shop on Mound north of 13 Mile (used to be Clayey's) and Vic Bond Sales at 43780, 2172, Merrill Rd, Sterling Heights, MI 48314 both have plumbing supplies but I don't think they have the running water displays as Herald and Whittock do. You can ask the places that do have them to put up a showerhead if the one you want to see is not already being shown with running water. Ferguson's is near Herald Wholesale and also sells plumbing supplies. I don't remember if they have water displays, though.

• kudzu9

The difference between 1.75 and 2.0 gpm is trivial for your purposes. It will be entirely adequate for a decent shower, presuming that you have normal water pressure in your house. Many locales limit shower head flow to 1.5 gpm. That's what mine is and there's no problem. Besides, your hot water will last longer if you don't install a gusher of a shower head. You're looking for problems where none exist. Buy it and enjoy it.

stir_fryi SE Mich thanked kudzu9
  • stir_fryi SE Mich

Thank you kudzu9. I have been accused over "over-thinking" and "analysis-paralysis" by someone before!

• geoffrey_b

You can always call the manufacture and find out the correct value.

I agree with kudzu9 - 1.75 - 2.0 is fine for a shower.

• ryburns26

You would love anything from Speakman! Pull the flow restrictor and you won’t have to worry about any GPM numbers.

• wdccruise

"Then if go to the webpage specifically for the showerhead ( T14294 ) it says 1.75gpm."

Don't do that. Just look at the spec sheet linked to the Delta DSS-Linden-1401 web page. If you look at that spec sheet, you'll see that both the hand shower and the shower head (see the graph) have 2.5 gpm, which matches the number on the web page itself.

However, I think those numbers are wrong. The date on the Delta DSS-Linden-1401 spec sheet is 2012 while the dates on the showehead/trim and handshower spec sheets are both 2017. Therefore I think you can assume that the products you will receive have flow rates of 1.75 gpm.* Manufacturers are reducing the flow rates lower and lower over time, particularly since they want their products to be salable in California.

• kudzu9

....and the bottom line is: anything at least 1.5 gpm should be entirely adequate for a shower head.

StarCraft Custom Builders

This may be the wrong place to ask the question. This may be a variable flow head available with restrictors from 1.2 gpm to 2.5 gpm. Why don't you call customer servie and get the real scoop?