Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cheryl_hays3290497

Exterior wall hook to hang dry cleaning delivery?

Intoodeep
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Hi Everyone! I don't want a hook on my front door to hang my dry cleaning deliveries on - my door is too pretty! Has anyone hung a hook on the wall or on a pillar? I am planning to put a hook on our front porch pillar (facing the house so you don't see it from the street). I would love to see photos if you have done it and what hook you have used. All of the hooks I like don't seem to be in a material that can be used outdoors!

Comments (17)

• Intoodeep
    Original Author
    4 years ago

LOL. Yes. They are currently hanging it on the door handle and I don't want to ruin that either. Looking for a better solution.

• bpath
    4 years ago

Look in the garden section of your garden center for a garden-type hook, for holding hanging planters.

• branson4020
    4 years ago

Any solid brass or solid bronze hook will be fine outdoors.

• One Devoted Dame
    4 years ago

I was thinking a hanging basket hook, or shepherd's hook, too, in a garden center. :-)

• PRO
    Anglophilia
    4 years ago

Will the laundry not bring it around to the back? My across-the-street neighbor has laundry hanging from the door knocker on the front door weekly. It's easy to get to her back door, and I can't help but wonder why she doesn't request they do this. It looks awful and seems an invitation, even though we have no problem with "porch pirates" in this neighborhood. The biggest problem is that it's not under cover so if there is a sudden storm, those flimsy plastic dry cleaner bags will do little good and all that laundry/dry cleaning will be soaked.

• PRO
    Jeffrey R. Grenz, General Contractor
    4 years ago

Thank you for being concerned with the finish of your entry door. A few hanger marks or a piece of tape to hang a note can easily create hundreds of dollars in damage.

• Intoodeep
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I have a dog and don't want anyone in the backyard. We have a very large covered porch, so it's not that big of a deal and won't even be very noticeable.

• just_janni
    4 years ago

I love the idea of a dry cleaning hanger. I would think that again a solid brass / bronze or stainless steel would work and be welcomed by the delivery people. You could hang it perpendicular to your door (if it was going on a pillar) and make it less obvious that hanging though the door knocker or handle.

GREAT IDEA.

Oh - check out this folding hook from Blomus (if stainless works for you) - this is so cool - small hook for small loads, fold out large hook for larger!

• O Home
    4 years ago

Hi - curious if you solved this problem. I looking for exact same thing for our dry clean deliveries - it’s driving my husband nuts. Can you post a pic of your solution? Thx.

• Intoodeep
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Yes, I got it at Home Depot in oil-rubbed bronze. If I have a rust/corrosion issue, I will replace with stainless. Been up 6 months and still looks new.

• PRO
    Molly's Suds, LLC
    4 years ago

Love this! Found your post searching for a solution. Thank you for sharing!

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    4 years ago

I prefer the Carter High Security Clothes Delivery System. On the outside of the house you can only see a 7 1/2" wide door about 66" tall. The door opens to a cavity that is about 6 1/4" wide and 64" high and 25" deep that extends into the house, with a 1" diameter rod located near the top about half the depth back of the cavity. There is another door locate opposite the outside door that access is from the interior of the home. The clothing delivery person opens the outside door and hangs the garment on the rod and closes the door. The clothing is retrieved from the interior door. A patented locking mechanism allows only one of the doors to be open at a time. The deluxe model also comes with a steam and UV light feature on. I made this all up.

• just_janni
    4 years ago

^^^ modeled after the urine sample door at the lab...

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    4 years ago

If it's good enough for urine, it's good enough for your dry cleaning.

• Jason Palmer
    3 years ago

Look for hooks for a wreath. I have been using one of those for 10 years. I can take it on and off with each delivery and I don't have to drill holes.