thao_tran4213

what to do with WIIIIIIIDE living room wall?

Thao Tran

I have no idea what to do with this wall. I want a cabinet with shelving. I need the cabinets to store away toys and misc items. I want the shelve to display photos, books, trinkets etc but this wall space is just to wide. I want a setup where it would flow from the master bedroom all the way to where the TV is. I’m looking to replace media console to have everything flow well together. Would appreciate ideas!

• girl_wonder

I’m not clear about the layout of the overall rooms (you mentioned flowing from the master bedroom. Where is that?) Can you post a floorplan, even a quick sketch? Also, are there vaulted ceilings to the right of the TV? That might influence your choice of furniture.

I might consider decorarting it as two separate areas. In the top pic, is the door to the left the front door? The area closest could act as a foyer, leading into the living room proper, for example.

• Thao Tran

The door you see on the left is the master bedroom door. Let me dig up a floor plan. Clusterfeeding a 4month so I can sketch anything up.

• girl_wonder

Of course. Now that you say that, it’s obvious. Duh! ;)

LB Interiors

I think you need a more pleasant floor plan. I would try moving the TV to the left as well as the sofa. You can move the sofa 1st, since moving the TV creates more work to move it. I would keep the seating and TV area contained within the door frame and the invisible vertical line of where the ceiling changes to a vaulted ceiling. The TV extends into another section of the next room. The balance is off.

I suggest moving the sofa closer to the TV to create a path behind it and the kitchen cabinets.

Any space on the left of the moved sofa can be designated as a play area.

Then you can decide what sized wall units to buy that will be the most functional.

Waco Symphony Showhouse 2013 · More Info

LB Interiors

You might be able to find an armoire on Craigslist sites or Thrift stores for storing the car seat and larger toys. Add matching bookcase units on each side of the armoire.

You can store toys etc in a cedar chest or flat top trunk and also use it as a coffee table at the sofa.

In the photo, add bottom doors on bookcases

Andrea May Hunter Gatherer · More Info

Naperville - Kid Friendly Small Loft with Movable Parts · More Info

I use Besta from Ikea for this type of need and it works well since you can customize it for your needs and space.

• Fun2BHere

If you aren't going to have custom shelving built, I would check out Ikea's design planning app. You can create a layout of your wall using the various storage products.

Countryside Amish Furniture

Have you thought about adding a bookcase?

https://www.countrysideamishfurniture.com/suite/rushmore-living-room-set

Also, adding a big canvas, a collection of family pictures on the wall, or some other nice wall decor!

• calidesign

You need a builtin unit with lots of closed storage below and a combination of open and closed shelving above. But figure out your best furniture arrangement first so you get the right placement for your TV. Your sectional looks like it belongs on the end of the room - there isn't much space between the sectional back and the kitchen. Post photos from all angles of the room for help.

• groveraxle

You seem to have a lot of space that is not being utilized for anything. Please give us a shot of the other end of the room and a shot of the sofa and what's behind it, as well.

• happyleg

More pics for the other side of room.

• groveraxle

We all know this is what it looked like BC, Before Children. You will not totally eliminate child clutter, but I propose that you style the area under the lower ceiling as the living room with appropriate storage and art, and leave the two ends where the ceiling is vaulted for temporary overflow.

• Thao Tran thanked groveraxle
  • happyleg

Really nice Grover! And put bike elsewhere.

Thao Tran thanked happyleg
    LB Interiors

I still feel that the TV needs to move to the left away from the edge of the 2 room separations indicated by the ceiling elevation change. Then a design plan for the wall.

Thao Tran thanked LB Interiors
  • Thao Tran

Thanks everyone for your input thus far! I hope the panoramic view of the space gives you all a better idea of the layout. I apologize about the mess. Our play date ended not too long ago and I just put the kids to bed. I like the Havsta at ikea. We almost bought 3 of them but realized it would flow very well. I want a built in but not sure if it would work because of the low/high ceiling. (There’s a den right above which serves as gym)

• Thao Tran

Oops forgot to post pics

• happyleg

If u put tv between the ceiling lights; move couch down to cent couch & tv.

Thao Tran thanked happyleg
  • Thao Tran

Here’s a view from my couch as I am wiped out from wrestling with my 3.5 year old who skipped his nap today.

• Thao Tran

Not sure why the image didn’t post

• Thao Tran

Very impressive groveraxle! Not too sure if I could move the living room underneath the low ceiling/lights bc of the layout. Here’s a pic from the wall where you eliminated the clutter

LB Interiors

After seeing the new photos .... to me it looks like the 2 spaces are not being used to their potential. There are two separate areas.

1 - TV Space - The fireplace space with the high ceiling, is one space.

2 - Play Room - The large area with the lower ceiling, is another space.

I think you have two separate and individual spaces that could be functionally more convenient.

Maybe this is an option:

1. - * TV Space - Place the TV nearer the fireplace which means moving it to the right on the wall where your art is now, within the ceiling height change. (TV and fireplaces are partners in a room. * Seating for TV and viewing the fireplace within close proximity of each other and as an entertainment space).

* Move the Sofa closer to the Fireplace, (in the same position it is now) the longer side will probably be very close to the fireplace wall. Push the sofa all the way to the wall, no space behind it. I would also add a long console table or storage cabinet, behind sofa to help soften the sofa back

* I would add some seating for the children for TV watching in this space as well. Kids seating on the ..... left side of the TV. Maybe bean bag chairs or kids chairs. (I see one child's chair in this space)

* Move the cream barrel chair to the ..... Right side of the T V , angled (where the art is now).

* Maybe the children can use the coffee table for play while in this space. I would remove the child's play table to the 2nd space. (the wide wall)

2. - * Play Room - I would use the remainder of the 'wide wall' room for storage cabinet, toys, bookcase etc. and art against the wide wall.

* Maybe you would like to add a desk ? in the center of this wide wall and build upon it from that perspective. (if a desk might be convenient here) The children can use the desk for homework, when they get older. Or for bill paying where the family seems to be gathered most of the time.

* I would add a 4 chair child's table in this space for children's friends and crafting.

* The remainder of this large space will be roomy for the children's activities.

Something like these

LB Interiors

Forgot photos - I just posted ideas to my above comment - something like those.

LB Interiors

Maybe you could try the Floor Plan I mentioned above, 'without' moving the TV..... If you think this might be an option, it would be a test run. Move all the furniture and other items, without moving the TV and see what it feels like.