Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_962429

Need help with narrow living room open floor plan design

After a home fire and a local contractor ripping me off, Im ready to tackle this room. I want to keep the fireplace, maybe a bit higher off the floor. There is so much wasted space behind this wall..I would like an area for a small wet bar and wine fridge too.

Thanks for any help,

Michelle

Comments (17)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    4 years ago

What is in that wall space it seems wasted to me too but could have all kinds of stuff in there. You will have to rip it open to see what is there.I think changing the fireplace will be expensiveif it is gas or wood burning. I assume it vents out the back since the TV is up there. Iam a bit confused over how you would get a wet bar into the already crowded space

Michelle Cataldo Favaloro thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • roccouple
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Would you build a surround and mantle around the fireplace and remove the rest of the wall? Or are you looking for more of a wood stove look? If a wood burning look could it move to the corner?

i think removing the outer wall is a great idea if possible. You might leave 3-5 feet next to the entrance door and build in a small dry or maybe wet bar there? With wine fridge recessed below perhaps. Then there’d be a small corner into the wider part of the room

sorry to ear about your fire and rip off. Hope things get on a better track soon

Michelle Cataldo Favaloro thanked roccouple
  • PRO
    User
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Since your TV dwarfs the fireplace size I would do a stone all the way up creating a fireplace zone so it gives the illusion the fireplace is larger (see first photo where the TV is larger than fireplace insert). Then, mount TV above fireplace on stone. This will look much cleaner and wont restrict you to a TV that must fit a set TV-cove-size. I would then do built-in cabinets, with doors on the lower half to hide and organize items. A wet bar could easily be incorporated into the cabinetry and built-ins. The only way I would add a wine fridge is if it could be in line (and possibly hidden) with matching cabinet doors. I agree with Patricia that a wine fridge has potential to clutter the space.

Upper East Side · More Info

Sudbury · More Info

Hope this helps!

• Michelle Cataldo Favaloro
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Yes, I agree the room is crowded at the moment as I am trying to figure out what I want to do. I like all the ideas and they seem to coincide with what I had in mind. I was thinking the same with stone...thoughts?

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    4 years ago

Since your ceiling is only 8' tall, it might be better to consider a linear fireplace if you want it up from the floor.

Original Author
    4 years ago

roughly how much would it cost to do a job like this

Original Author
    4 years ago

Ok I have ripped out the wall between and want to accent the fireplace. I really like a lighter quartzite stone but now not sure of I should use large or small stone veneer. Any suggestions for room. I want to merge these two rooms and have the fireplace center focal point ...

• njmomma
    4 years ago

following

• RedRyder
    4 years ago

I’m interested in what people advise you to do. I’m also looking into putting stone all the way to the ceiling but my research only confuses me. Each type of stone is a different price, so keep that in mind.

Michelle Cataldo Favaloro thanked RedRyder
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I opened two rooms to make large room. I want fireplace joining rooms. Stumped as not sure if I should use large stone veneer or smaller stone veneer. My walls will be alabaster color. I will be putting my round dining table on right side of room and sectional on left side of room. Fireplace w TV above will be in center.

Original Author
    4 years ago

I want to change my pendant lights , thinking clear class? Need to do a backsplash or not???

This is so overwhelming.

• Gcubed
    4 years ago

What is the floor plan? How does the kitchen relate to the other spaces and the wall you removed?

• greenfish1234
    4 years ago

One thing at a time. Leave the pendants for now. I dont think the pictures explain as much as you think they do. Did the FP get moved to the outside wall? “Big stone” or “small stone” doesn’t really describe the stone you are looking at well enough for us to give you advice. Pictures of all of your options, a drawing of the space, and inspiration photos are important

Original Author
    4 years ago

Yes fireplace moved to outside wall. I have open floor plan

• greenfish1234
    4 years ago

Ok I think I get it. The pics of the studs w the FP still in were confusing. Now we need inspiration pics, and stone samples. IMO w the beam running through you may not want to have a stone feature wall, maybe just a really beautiful mantle and surround

• marylut
    4 years ago

Really hard to understand your room layout without seeing a To Scale drawing. If sectional is on left and tv is in center, where is seating to watch TV?