Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ellenoir17

To retile or not to retile?

Elle
4 years ago

I'm trying to decide whether or not to update the tile in this bathroom (for resale value, mostly).
We have been living with the poo brown walls since we moved in over a year ago, and I can't take it anymore. We want to paint and get a new vanity (the one we have now is very cheap, has no drawers, and is unnecessarily small).
But tiling would be pretty cost prohibitive for the next year or so. As it is, vanities are so expensive!

I think the choices are:

1. Decide we are never ever updating the tile, and replace the vanity now.
  2. Just throw up a coat of paint for now. Plan to replace both the tile and vanity a few years down the road.

The tile itself is your average $1/sqft ugly white porcelain tile with painted on "marble" veining. The grout is slightly stained, so that one area looks perpetually wet, and no amount of grout bleach will fix it. While the bathroom of my dreams does not include this flooring, I can live with it.

I guess my question is, when the rest of the house is very builders grade meh - ugly tile floors in red and beige throughout, a Home Depot kitchen, gold door knobs, cheap trim... does having a fully polished bathroom make a big difference to potential buyers?

We had originally considered doing a bigger reno to fix all of the above, but fully renovated houses in our neighborhood aren't going for enough to make our money back. But it seems like a diy bathroom update might be a better ROI?

Retile
Keep the tile

Comments (16)

• Elle
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I was estimating about $1000 for a diy tile job, does that sound about right? For simple white porcelain hex tiles.

• eld6161
    4 years ago

I think you can live with the tiles. I would paint the walls a lighter color and replace the vanity.

You don't have to get an expensive one. Look for quality and something on sale.

Oh, and I would say chocolate brown not poo!

• M
    4 years ago

Remodelling for resale is almost always a fool's errand. The exception is if you remodel a house for flipping. But in that case, you'd have to minimize cost at all times. Flipping is all about appearances without actually spending much money or investing in quality.

Remodelling for your own benefit is an entirely different thing. That's always fine. And maybe, when you sell, you'll get a tiny percentage of money back. But overall, think of it as an expense and not as an investment.

• biondanonima (Zone 7a Hudson Valley)
    4 years ago

Are you planning to move any time soon? If not, I would ignore resale and do what works for you.

• PRO
    Debbi Washburn
    4 years ago

Agreed about the remodeling for resale... when are you selling?? if soon then paint and have a pro come in and replace the grout and change the color to match the tile so it blends away some more and be don with it.

If you are staying, then do something of a larger project.

• kathleen MK
    4 years ago

tile is ok, the poo is on the walls. paint and the supplies to do it would be $75. That white grout sealer or just acrylic craft paint would brighten the floors. If vanity is soon to be replaced sand and paint it to match walls. pick a light color that goes with the tile. Maybe a grey blue or green for a bit of color.

• AJCN
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

It is really expensive to re-tile, especially if you are also talking about the tub/shower area, because it involves waterproofing. If you want to do a light update, don't do anything to the shower tile. If you want a new shower head or something easy like that, it's an easy and cheap change without messing with the plumbing.

For the vanity area, if you remove the towel bar between the toilet and vanity, you could get a wider vanity, 1 sink and keep the sink in the same spot, off-set to the right, getting you some extra counter area to the left. I can't see your mirror, but if you decide on a wider vantity, you could get a beveled mirror (by a local glass company) installed for not very much money, that will span the width of the vanity. In order to determine the widest vanity you could get, measure the toilet area. You need at least 15" clearance from the center of the toilet to either side. Generally that's 30", but many people recommended at least 32" for comfort. Then, remove the TP holder on the far wall and relocate it to the side of the new vanity. A lot of people don't like a towel bar right next to their toilet for hygiene reasons, but I don't know where else you could put a towel bar. Perhaps there is a little wall area where you could install 2 towel hooks instead of a bar. If there is no place for hooks, leave the bar there. It won't impair resale.

For the floor, I'd re-grout in a color that matches the existing tile. The floor will be a uniform, consistent color that way.

For paint, try a soft, light greige (a mix between gray and beige) that has either a green or a blue undertone. I've used several of these greiges in my house and there is a little trick to use to picking the right one. Get a Sherwin Williams, or other brand, paint fan deck. Go to the neutrals/grays/greiges. Find the 8 or so cards that have some nice soft greiges that have blue or green as the darkest colors at the bottom of the cards, and separate those, fan them out. Then look down at the darkest colors at the bottom of all the cards. The undertone of the lightest shade on that card is represented by the darkest shade at the bottom of the card. Find a couple of dark (bottom) shades you like, and then move up the card to the lighter shades. Pick the lighest or the next-to-lightest shade on the card. Get a couple of $6 quart samples and test them out on your walls. This method has always worked for me. The reason this trick works is because the undertone only shows itself when it is painting in a large area; you can't see it in a little sample square you paint on your wall.

Then, a 5' runner in front of the tub would be nice, maybe a woven cotton one, not to "bath" looking, and new white fluffy towels. Take away the mat in front of the vanity.

• Elle
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks for the input everyone. We ended up not changing the tile, and in general opting for the least expensive options that would meet our needs because we don't plan to sell for another 3-5 years.

Here's some pictures. The original pics are from when we bought the house but I took some extra befores too. I think it's all done except for art on tbe big blank wall - thoughts?

Originally we were horrified at the price of vanities because we were looking for big ones. It seemed to make the most sense for resale to take up the extra space with a big luxurious vanity. But this bath is the downstairs powder / guest bath and honestly we would just never have used the big one. So instead we were able to snag a 32" with a quartz top on sale for $199.

Overall, for new paint (SW sea salt), hardware, fixtures, lights, and vanity it ended up being about $600. The best ROI was definitely a new exhaust fan. The other one was yellow, cast a dingy glow, and was half as bright but twice as loud. I'm also really excited for the new shower head that has a great detachable dog washing handheld.

I'm glad we saved money on the visible stuff because, like everything else in the house, shoddy craftsmanship made this project an expensive nightmare.
    The wall in the corner of the vanity isn't square. The previous vanity's laminate countertop had been cut at an angle of over 1/2" front to back to make it appear square. But we couldn't cut the quartz, so we had to slightly offset the vanity from the side wall to make it fit without a crazy gap.
    The previous vanity was super glued to the wall, so we had to patch as best we could, but the wall is still a little rough.
    There was no junction box for the lights, just wires poking out of the wall. The sink plumbing was all wrong, coming out of the wall too low and at 1.5" kitchen sink diameter. We had to redo all that.
    And now we need all new trim. The trim was bad to begin with, but now we are missing trim because the new vanity is offset.
    I tried another round of ground cleaner but it's a lost cause. Oh well, a new bigger rug hises more of it

• User
    4 years ago

Nicely done. I would use a solid color towel(s) to add a little color. For the art on the wall across from the shower curtain, play off the shower curtain geometric design to stay cohesive.

Here’s an overpriced example: https://www.saatchiart.com/print/Painting-Curvas-pticas-en-Negro-III/283901/4165917/view

• Elle
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks. What color would you do the towel, more navy like the rug, or a third color? I don't know if you can tell but the walls are a light mint.

• User
    4 years ago

I wouldn’t even try to guess over a picture. Simply get a few shirts in solid colors and hang them in there...trust your eye!

• PRO
    Debbi Washburn
    4 years ago

You may want to put one of those ladder towel bar things next to the vanity to fill up some space

Also you can paint grout... I would look into that - many people have had success with that...

• User
    4 years ago

Nothing permanent until you have used the bathroom for at least 6 months. Once that has happened, you can make a much more informed decision.

• PRO
    Sunshine Foundation Repairs
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Home improvements often returning more than 100 percent of the cost at resale are Kitchen and Bathroom remodel. Other ways to resale fast is improve curb appeal by replacing the house siding, it ranks high on the cost vs. value.

Get rid of clutter, bulky furnitures and outdated window covers.

Repaint the walls in natural colors and change the hinges on doors. Paint the front door, and make the home welcoming and inviting by letting a lot of natural light in. Depersonalize your home by removing family portraits and any other personal item on display. Good luck

• biondanonima (Zone 7a Hudson Valley)
    4 years ago

This is a big improvement! I agree with Debbi that a storage tower of some type would look nice and help fill the space between the toilet and vanity. You might consider raising that towel ring or adding a larger towel bar at a height above the backsplash to make it a bit more user-friendly. As for color, on my monitor the navy rug doesn't work especially well to tie together the floor tile and wall color, but it is impossible to say how it actually looks in real life. The wall color appears to be a blue-leaning grey on my screen, not mint. I would try to bring the wall and floor colors together with perhaps a dark taupe or warm grey rug and then choose a bold accent color for towels and artwork,perhaps burnt orange or deep plum.