Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mjammjam

Please help me choose Ellie Cashman Wallpaper style for powder room

mjammjam
4 years ago

Hello all,

This is my powder room which I have not purchased wallpaper for yet. I wanted something bold and beautiful. I LOVE LOVE this Elli Cashman design with the huge flowers (I'm not sure what percentage to order). Does this wallpaper match my bathroom floor/sink/wainscoating? I already purchased the mirror, and faucets, but am regretting not buying brass. Does this all go together or not? What can I do to make it all work? Thanks so much!

This is the wallpaper I love:

South Franklin · More Info

Traditional Custom Home · More Info

Or this pattern too:

Mountain Solitude · More Info

Ellie Cashman Dark Floral Powder Room · More Info

This is my bathroom and the mirror/fixtures I already bought a year ago:

Does it all work together????? What do I need?

Comments (65)

• mjammjam
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I’m worried about the black paper now that you said I need a grey background. ....

• ptreckel
    4 years ago

The rooms that you like have sconces, not over the mirror lighting. They also seem to have small chandeliers. Look at the details. Your vanity, floors, wainscot are all lovely. A large scale floral would look spectacular. But get the lighting and mirror right.

• mjammjam
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks all

PTreckel -- I would love to get the lighting and mirror right, but I'm not sure how. I chose those just because I liked them -- I don't know how to join items cohesively....... Any ideas about lighting and mirror? My vanity is only 24" wide....

• mjammjam
    Original Author
    4 years ago

How's this mirror?

• Molly
    4 years ago

Posting to see pictures

• megs1030
    4 years ago

This is a link to the original paper you liked, but it is available with a gray background on Ellie Cashman's website. https://www.elliecashmandesign.com/us/floral-wallpaper/dark-floral-ii-gray-wallpaper

• megs1030
    4 years ago

I also agree with the lighting and mirror you picked. Try to keep the style of both a little more classic. I like the mirror that pennydesign posted above.

Lights:

1. https://www.houzz.com/products/maxim-rondo-2-light-1675-w-bathroom-fixture-polished-nickel-white-fabric-shade-prvw-vr~30961678

2. https://www.houzz.com/products/olivia-1-light-wall-sconce-polished-nickel-finish-prvw-vr~114529157

• mjammjam
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Ok Thank you guys,

Meg - I saw that grey wallpaper, but I don't love it and it doesn't come in the 200% size. I just love the drama of the black one, but I worry that it doesn't match my floor as well as it should. And then I think to myself - Nobody I know would say that the wallpaper didn't match the tile.

But the mirror and light do not look right with it. I like the one Penny posted too - I'm going to try to find it in the narrow version. Should I put a light above the mirror or next to it. The wall behind the sink is small.....

• mjammjam
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Is this too cheap looking --

• hollybar
    4 years ago

Gilbert - Full Interior Remodel · More Info

This is the regular size, which is also lovely. I adore the mirror they used here but it is likely a bit short. But who wants to cover up the paper!

• Olychick
    4 years ago

Omigosh, go with the paper you love! The floor, the mirror and the rest will be fine. That paper is so spectacular that all else will fade into the background, but will still look nice with the paper.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    4 years ago

Change the floor, ditch the faucet, mirror, light etc and no more than 100% and a VERY skilled paper hanger. Whom you ask how MUCH to get.

Otherwise? Come back crying : (

• wickedwhite
    4 years ago

I like the wallpaper you chose, but not in this room. Not unless you change the floor. But there are plenty of other wallpapers out there. Keep looking. Last choice should be your mirror and lighting.

• mjammjam
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you all!

I am not ditching the floor - I paid so much for that marble and just installed it about a year ago. I guess I'll try to find a wallpaper with a grey background that I really love. That one with all the fish matches but it's not for me. Suggestions welcome!

Should I go back to this one? I liked it before I saw the Ellie Cashman design. If so, would I keep faucet, light, mirror?

Thanks

• Cheryl Smith
    4 years ago

i totally love the original wallpaper its large... but what fun

• megs1030
    4 years ago

Keep the faucet, I don't think it's bad at all. But ditch the light and mirror for ones (or similar ones) that were suggested earlier in this thread.

• beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally
    4 years ago

Have you taken a look at Anthropologie's offerings?

• User
    4 years ago

To me, the floor is a non-issue..

.(also I love it, btw...)

• Cheryl Hannebauer
    4 years ago

following

• megs1030
    4 years ago

I agree with pennydesign. I think the original wallpaper you chose works fine with the floor. But I do agree with poster above not to go over the 100%. You will still make an impact with that paper. Your bathroom is small AND you have wainscoting, which will drastically reduce how much of that pattern you will even see.

• mjammjam
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Guys -- I'm so confused

Is the floor an issue for the wallpaper because it's grey marble?

Is the floor too modern for the wallpaper?

Are my faucets and mirror too modern? They're both BRIZO RSVP collection

I thought the mirror was plain in the first place.

The light is def modern but i thought it looked GLAM which I like.

I don't know if I have a style other than I like Glam .

• User
    4 years ago

The problem is that if you ask a bunch of people, you'll get a bunch of answers and all we can do is explain our answers...which won't help at all. But my thinking is:

The floor isn't an issue. For one, it's not next to the wallpaper. Even if it was, I don't see it as an issue. How many grand and fabulous homes have (for example) marble checkerboard floors and beautiful hand-painted wallpaper going up the stairs? A lot. (I get that this is a small room, but that's one of the reasons it's not an issue, also. It's a light color and doesn't draw your eye down to it)

I like the large scale as opposed to a smaller scale wallpaper with a repeat. To me, that would fight the floor because you would have 2 patterns in there. Large scale isn't repetitive like a pattern would be.

My own preference for the mirror and faucet and light is to keep it consistent with the vanity and wainscoting. A traditional look.

Venetian mirrors are NOT"cheap looking"....I suggest you google them to give you an idea.. If you prefer simple, then that works, too.

• calidesign
    4 years ago

Completely agree^.

• beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally
    4 years ago

Are my faucets and mirror too modern? They're both BRIZO RSVP collection

I don't think they're too modern but even without the wallpaper factored in, I think all the curves make them too "fussy" looking.

I think what some are finding problematic is the more geometric flooring with a blowsy botanical. oversize wallpaper.

In fact, if you could find a hexagon mirror, that would tie in well with the flooring and eliminate the curves.

• btydrvn
    4 years ago

The paper will not have the impact and wow factor if you decrease the size of the flowers...it is more like art or a mural....than “floral wallpaper”...this room is more about the beautiful parts than the overall look...

• btydrvn
    4 years ago

Anyone sitting there for 10 minutes or so will have a feast for the eyes...

• mjammjam
    Original Author
    4 years ago

OK . --

How's this mirror?

or this

or

Am I looking for brass or chrome?

• hollybar
    4 years ago

As penny said, you will get all sorts of opinions. Trust YOUR gut. Myself,I would go with the faucet, find a new mirror and use the paper that I love most....after careful measuring to make sure that the size of the flowers will show to advantage.

• calidesign
    4 years ago

I think you can use the first 4 mirrors, but not the last one. The mirror needs to be fairly traditional to fit in with your other choices. I think the brio faucet and light are okay. Although they have a more modern design the crystal details bring it back toward traditional.

• User
    4 years ago

I agree...the last one is my least favorite..

If you don't like the venetian, the third one is pretty.

• btydrvn
    4 years ago

Try for one that is no wider than the sink...and remember the smaller it is ...the less paper will be covered...in your first pics the frames that were larger were open work so that the paper was still in view

• Molly
    4 years ago

How much room do you have for a mirror?

• mjammjam
    Original Author
    4 years ago

My sink/vanity is only 24” wide. How small should the mirror be?? Should I use 2 sconces next to mirror, or something across the top? I don’t know how to fit it all

And, am I sticking with chrome sconces?

• Molly
    4 years ago

I don't think there is room for sconces on the side of the mirror. I'd keep the width at around 20 inches wide. How tall can you go?

• LeAnn Misko
    4 years ago

Love the wallpaper, but agree with the earlier comments that I don’t think you’ll get the impact you like so much with that cabinet and wainscoting. Looking forward to seeing what you end up with.

• mjammjam
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Well --

Just wondering if this is a better wallpaper

look for my bathroom -

With this color mirror and my chrome faucets?

• calidesign
    4 years ago

That mirror would be perfect with any of your wallpapers. You would have to check the background color of the one above to be sure it doesn't look grungy next to your wainscoting. The wallpapers with the gray or darker backgrounds add more interest.

• btydrvn
    4 years ago

The white paper may match better ...and the fixtures you have may work better....the main difference will be ....the white is less exciting ..more conventional...sort of depends on .how daring you want to be

• mjammjam
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Yes Calidesign -- I thought so too . Sometimes those cream color backgrounds don't look so good above the white.

Ritasj -- I know! I wanted that black one to work better. But I can't keep buying things and not using them. I bought my faucet and mirror over a year ago when I thought it looked good with the first wallpaper. (Silver with cherry blossoms) . But now i'm sick of that one . HAHA

• Gargamel
    4 years ago

Maybe this is a bit out there, but...what about not having a mirror over the sink (it reflects the door anyway which distracts from the fantastic wallpaper (Ellie Cashman). You could have one of those pedestal mirrors on the counter. I wonder how many people would really be looking at the floor thinking about whether it went with the wallpaper or not - I imagine they’d be staring at that WOW wallpaper.

• btydrvn
    4 years ago

Every one makes mistakes...that is how we learn...you obviously have a love of design and a willingness ...to ask for ...and listen to ....other opinions....so pat yourself on the back...good job

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    4 years ago

Not everyone can afford "mistakes"! You can only have so many stars in a room, or all will beg for attention . If you love your flooring, faucet , mirror and light!?

Paint the walls a glossy deep gray! Go buy some oversized / peony art for the wall!

There are MANY ways to make a beautiful powder room, and infinite ways to combine too many elements taken out of their context....... And cry real $$$$.

• mjammjam
    Original Author
    4 years ago

What the Heck?!

• mjammjam
    Original Author
    4 years ago

How’s this style

• Rachel Prosperan
    4 years ago

Why don't you just order a wallpaper sample book from Ellie Cashman

• calidesign
    4 years ago

All your other options were better. Stick with the more traditional styles instead of going tropical.

• cpartist
    4 years ago

I like your original choice the best

• ashtonchic
    4 years ago

I'm curious about whether the powder room fits with the style in the rest of your home. I would do something that is not so overpowering but still elegant such as this PR.

project cottingman · More Info

• Gcubed
    4 years ago

Is the powder room done?

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!