Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
staceyonion

Finally! my own office!!

Stacey Onion
4 years ago

My husband has finally agreed to move the workbench! Happy day! He also wants me out of his office. The space from the backs of the white chairs to the window is 11’ and the width is approx 11 1/2’. I would love furniture placement advise and any other inspiration ideas you may have. I will have a desktop computer and printer to deal with as well as a need for a file cabinet of sorts. I don’t want to sit with my back to the sitting area because people will come up behind me and startle me. Thanks!

Comments (171)

• Stacey Onion
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I'll try it later.

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    4 years ago

That's true. How about this? I think the the desk would look fine against the window, with the single file cabinet to the right of the desk. Ideally, I'd buy a second one for the left side. The door does not have to open all the way. You could put lesser used items in the left side.

• Stacey Onion
    Original Author
    4 years ago

This is what it looks this way but I think I like it better looking out the window

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    4 years ago

Yes.....out the window is best. Plus, you can hide wires and your tower.

• Stacey Onion
    Original Author
    4 years ago

This is what it looks this way but I think I like it better looking out the window

• Stacey Onion
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Any thoughts about window treatments or rug?

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    4 years ago

I recommend one large rug for the entire room. I imagine the current rug is much too small to center in the room?

Window treatments: it depends on if you want them for functionality. One way make a house feel more open is to use the same window treatments from room to room.

• Stacey Onion
    Original Author
    4 years ago

OK I move the file cabinet to the right of the desk. I put this other piece to the left of the desk for balance? If I get another file cabinet and put it on the left it’s going to cause the door to open and less. What are your thoughts? I was thinking of doing a simple white drapes on either side of the windows in the entire room but I’m kind of thinking that they’ll be in the way of the desk now. As far as the rug is concerned, it’s not in the budget to get a whole new rug for the entire room. What if I bought the same rug and butt it up to the existing one? I also put this smaller brown chair in the room. Until I find two new chairs will this work? Is this the right size for the space?

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    4 years ago

This is why you plan an entire room, prior to buying anything.

I'd move the file cabinet all the way to the right and printer all the way to the left.

You don't need another rug if you have a couple of chairs in the living area. 2 chairs that size of smaller and lighter in color.

• krottmann
    4 years ago

• shirlpp
    4 years ago

Gosh....it looks a lot better facing into the room. Since you like it closer to the window, do you have to have it so close to the window?

• Stacey Onion
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Oh boy, now I’m really confused

• shirlpp
    4 years ago

What do you think? When you have guests what do you want them to see in your office? You have a lovely living room and IMO your office should be sophisticated and compliment the living room.

• Stacey Onion
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I think if i turn it around it will be too tight for the chairs and the cords will be draped across the room.

• shirlpp
    4 years ago

I see what you mean. How do you feel about having the desk facing the other smaller window?.

• Stacey Onion
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I don’t like the idea of looking at the side of my neighbor’s house.

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    4 years ago

You originally said you wanted to face out, but that you needed to hide the tower and wires, so you were planning a desk that was closed somewhat. But, you bought an open desk.

So, now with the open desk, your choices are to place it against the window (which I think looks fine) or return it.

I am not liking the look of the 3 pieces that don't match (desk, file cabinet and other piece).

• Stacey Onion
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I understand. In don’t like all three pieces either. Here i’ve spread them out but I think I should remove the piece on the left. What I do like about this set up is that it doesn’t take over the room andI like the view.

• Stacey Onion
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I think today is the last day to return the desk. If I were to do that what type of desk would you recommend. I actually thought this was the one you liked earlier in our conversation.

• Stacey Onion
    Original Author
    4 years ago

These feels a bit better. Simple white drapes and maybe a tall plant in the corner?

• Gcubed
    4 years ago

How much privacy do you need in you work set-up? The way you have it now, anyone in your sitting area can easily view your computer screen,,etc, and you don’t have a view of them to converse. I think that’s why in most or many offices (not necessarily none offices), the desk is facing or side ways to the “entrance”
    This may be a moot point for your needs, but I thought I’d mention it.

Stacey Onion thanked Gcubed
  • Stacey Onion
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you. Privacy is not an issue for me.

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    4 years ago

I like the desk, but if you wanted it floated and can't hide the wires, no sense in keeping it. Sounds like you like it against the window, so it works.

2 other pieces look better spread out, but still look piecemeal. I'd consider one long piece to put under the small window.

Stacey Onion thanked CDR Design, LLC
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    4 years ago

Yes......like that......but I'd buy a longer single piece that can house the printer and files. Still looks choppy.

You could consider putting the printer behind the door. I don't like looking at that printer as soon as you walk in the door. Wait till you have the funds to buy the right thing, rather than small pieces just to get by.

• Stacey Onion
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I think i'll keep it against the window for now while I have my PC. Once I get the laptop and that should be by Christmas I'll have the option of floating it if I want.

• Stacey Onion
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Nobody really uses that door. They come through the big french doors by the sitting area. We have one of those front door entry ways that nobody uses. I'd love to hide it too but I really need the big copier/scanner/printer for my work. The view people see would be from the sitting area into the office area.

• shirlpp
    4 years ago

What about a sofa table behind those two white chairs? You can put tall stuff on it, to help shield the office area. A nice new chair would help also. Does the printer have to be in front of that window?

• Stacey Onion
    Original Author
    4 years ago

The printer is a problem but I don't see any good place for it. Noone sees through that window so it's not a problem from the outside looking in. I've removed those white chairs because they were too big. I'm looking for two smaller scale lighter colored chairs.

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    4 years ago

I'd put the printer behind the French door.

• Stacey Onion
    Original Author
    4 years ago

What would you put it on? Would some kind of Lucite stand work to draw attention away?

• shirlpp
    4 years ago

What's wrong with keeping it on the lovely file cabinet. I agree with CDR Design - behind the french door.

• Stacey Onion
    Original Author
    4 years ago

If I put it on the file cabinet I won't be able to use it because of the door. I'm in and out of the files all the time. My option would be to just not use the door and that doesn't seem right. They are not standard french doors, they are minis. The width of the one side of the door is 20 3/4".

• Stacey Onion
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Doors

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    4 years ago

I'd get a cabinet that fits the depth of that area behind the door. The cabinet won't fit behnd the door?

• Stacey Onion
    Original Author
    4 years ago

nope

• Stacey Onion
    Original Author
    4 years ago

The space between the molding and the wall is 16" and the cabinet is 30" deep

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    4 years ago

Can you buy a longer file cabinet, instead of having 2 small cabinets? Then, maybe a smaller proflle printer.

• Stacey Onion
    Original Author
    4 years ago

That’s the smallest printer I could find that did what I needed it to and i had one heck of a time finding a file cabinet! That was my original intent but I couldn’t find one! Ugh

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    4 years ago

Why can't you buy 2 matching file cabinets?

• Stacey Onion
    Original Author
    4 years ago

You mean buy another of the one I have or a whole other set? an other set that’s one drawer and shorter?

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    4 years ago

Buy a second file cabinet.

• Stacey Onion
    Original Author
    4 years ago

To go next to the other on the wall with the window or for the printer behind the door?

• map
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I have one thing to say. I just don't know how she's going to see the computer screen with the glare from the window. I may be wrong but I would try it before I decorated the room like it is now.

• Stacey Onion
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you. I seem to get a glare from both of the big windows.

• shirlpp
    4 years ago

Stacey, have you tried a sun screen on your computer and you can play around with the monitor brightness to see if it helps.

• shirlpp
    4 years ago

Project completed?

• Stacey Onion
    Original Author
    4 years ago

This is where I am now. Excuse the crib it’s temporary and I still need to get another file cabinet...

• Stacey Onion
    Original Author
    4 years ago

The latest

• Stacey Onion
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Ok, loving my office but I’m sliding around in my office chair like I’m on an ice skating rink! I really need a rug but I’m not sure what size to get and what would work with the existing rug in the room. My desk measures 51” I’d that helps. Thanks!

• felizlady
    4 years ago

Your wheeled office chair makes it easy to roll from desk to file cabinet to printer and back. A rug will make that ability less fluid, but you could try for a fairly thin rug with a low nap so that you can still roll your chair. You can have a piece of low-pile broadloom carpet cut to any size and the edges bound for a finished look. A very thin rubber waffle mat will hold the carpet in place. I would choose a solid color from the rug in the other part of the room.

Stacey Onion thanked felizlady
Sponsored
Integrity Woodworking Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry Professionals