daisychain01

Berries! What to do?

daisychain01
last modified: July 22, 2019

On the 3 hour drive back from dropping DD2 off at camp, we stopped and bought fresh picked strawberries - a lot. Any ideas on what to do with them? Of course, my DD that is at camp is the baker in the family so this was not the best decision (but they looked and smelled soooo good, I just had to buy them). I was thinking I will make a strawberry shortcake for tonight and freeze some for smoothies, but any other ideas on desserts I could make that would preserve the good taste and freeze well?

I also have a bumper crop of Alpine currents this year. We've never done anything with these except stuff our faces (so tiny and very mild).

We had a few cherries and DD2 made some jam that was amazing. We only have one cherry tree and just as it was getting mature enough to bear fruit, it was snapped in half during a storm. This is the first year we've got fruit and only enough for one jar of jam, but we have hope for next year.

Our season is extremely short (north of Fargo) so we enjoy fresh fruit season a lot.