Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jeanwedding

planted supposedly butternut squash seed some green an cream striped

Got this seeds from some delicious butternut squash bought from a local guy...I called him later he said they prob were Buterscotch or such variety.

pos every seed I dried out and saved after eating thru out the winter... germinated later in peat pots.

Had so very many. Too many for the 4ft diameter wire raised bed bins.

Unfortunately put like 4 plants in each bin S I COULDNT FIND ANYONE TO TAKE THEM..

too prodded. Trying to let them grow up som welded wire "ing" envelope 3 ft tall...

Anyone?

Comments (2)

• farmerdill
    4 years ago

Assuming that you asking why is my butternut squash green with light striping? A couple of possible explanations.

1. Tan is the ripe color. Most are light green with vague striping until they began to ripen.

2.Butterscotch is a hybrid, probably even if not Butterscotch it is a hybrid.

3. While C. moschata is limited to several types, they are promiscuous within species Most growers may grow several types resulting in cross pollination

jeanwedding. zone 6 thanked farmerdill
  • jeanwedding. zone 6
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Now some of the squash is prominently striped light tan with DARK GREEN stripes. I think they cross pollinated with the couple of TABLE QUEEN acorn squash in same "bin"

Yey are growing vertically in the crowded 4 ft diameter wire raised bed bins. I need to support them. as they are some shaped like gourds. Some in other RB Bins are regular light green with no Prominent dark dark green stripe

The stalk is very dark green. Yeah I know I started the seeds too early some are close to 10 12 inches gourd shaped long.

Im thinking of cutting out 24 inch squares of tulle and tying that to the wire circle around them. Making like a cradle for them. Like a stork carrying a baby in a square of diaper fabric. Wish I had a bunch of onion mesh bags, Unfort gave away many many pantyhose and stockings. Dang it wish I saved them for growing squash vertically thanks all

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County