brenda_near_eno

Fall 2019 Raleigh Swap, special side trades outside of General Swap

brenda_near_eno
last modified: July 23, 2019

This is not the Main Swap post. John, our fearless leader, posts the date of the Main Swap, the main event. Some people set up special side trades too. If you are side-trading, feel free to post what you are looking for, what you will have to offer, and set it up here.

• lorabell_gw

One of my favorite trade flowers is blooming, some type of lily. Has sword like leaves and blooms in Fall. Smells like heaven. Any ID would be greatly appreciated.

Picture is sideways! Ha

• karen__w z7 NC

Lorabell, that’s Gladiolus murielae (have also seen it sold as Acidanthera murielae) aka Abyssinian glad. I’ve grown it in the past but lost it - loved it when I had it.

Need help choosing an area rug

Hello Nancy, I have decided not to do anything until the floors are done. My eldest daughter lives in Alaska with 3 of my granddaughters, they are coming for a visit in 3 weeks, When they visit we spend the majority of our time outdoors. Been spending most of my time in the backyard trying to clean out the gardens and get the pool ready for summer. We also had to re-screen the porch thanks to the redecorating efforts of Lilly and my grandpup Issy! Screen was 10 years old, so I can't complain and it looks great now. We are focused on trying to get everything cleaned up and ready for their visit and a big family BBQ. Never a dull moment around here. We will do the floors in early July after they return home.

POLL: What Makes a Good Neighborhood?

Different stages of life bring different priorities. I currently live in a city center neighborhood that is walking distance from downtown, live music venues (major ones), two big, expanding restaurant districts, live theatre and move theaters that serve me drinks and dinner as I watch. As an empty nester, heaven, but the neighborhood is pretty cool- very quiet street, no natural traffic and full of great people. I don't think I'd have raised children here, though... When my son was 2- I went looking for something very different than current home. Truly spent hours on the street of a house for sale, at different times to day and night, to see who was "out", whether their were children around- whether their were parents. Bingo, found it. Two cul-de-sacs split by a 3 acre small city park. Nobody but our kids really every used it. Imagine having your own soccer/football/baseball area... Parents all over the place. Lol- full of a bunch of hospital-based medical specialists. Cool, as there were men around all the time- good for the kids. Stay at home, very educated moms. Nobody ever felt lonely in this area, and to this day, three of the families and their grown-up children are still among our best friends.

POLL: Favorite Fall Decor?

I voted for the mums, but I also liked the outside branches brought inside. However, I thought the room was too overdone with the pumpkin light fixture and orange pillows. It bordered on too cheesy to me.

Art piece above couch

The two works together are too overpowering. You can keep the one, the color is very nice, but then add two smaller not the same size works to the side of this piece. Framed, and a bit more neutral, but perhaps picking up a bit of your color or complimenting it. I would be happy to look for works for you - this is not the same, but shows a grouping above a sofa. Works that I helped a client put together. The large painting on the other side I sourced for them as well.
  • karen__w z7 NC

Also, Lorabell, are you still interested in miniature bromeliads? I potted up an offset of Neoregelia punctatissima ‘Yellow’ if you want it.

• Judy Brown

Laura - Beautiful gladiolus!! If you ever have that for sharring, please remember me. You always have the best plants!!

• lorabell_gw

Thanks for the ID!

Karen, would love your miniature bromeliad! Would you like that gladiolus? I’ve also some pups on a couple of my miniatures - I’ll post names tomorrow.

Judy, I’ll pot some up for you tomorrow and keep it for the Spring swap.

Another of my favorites from the swap is Alstroemerias Psittacina( sideways picture above) it’s having its third round of blooms and the hummers love it! I’ve a few starts to share- and does anyone have any other colors?

• pambucol

Les ... I am talking about QUART pots for the dwarf mondo... and that's insane. You get about 3-4 of the big box stores plants from one of the Brodwells pots.

Vlad

• CasaLester RTP, NC (7b)

Thanks, Vlad. That is closer to insane. Size does matter. Have you seen any Juniperus chinensis 'Spartan' or similar columnar conifers over there? After this dry summer we have to replace a row of Thuja occidentalis 'Emerald', planted in 2010 :-( .

Also, check out our new succulent thread where we use the example of your rescued Plumeria to describe our approach to reduce pot weight and increase drainage, as well as to reduce cost by avoiding Perlite, using packing peanuts. Contrary to the bad rap packing peanuts get, they worked quite well.

• pambucol

Cool Les, I will look at the post. I don't remember their conifer collection but that reminds me, we killed a beautiful thuja and we need to replace it maybe they have it at Brodwells.

Vlad

Screenwriter

I went to Broadwell's Nursery yesterday and bought the Jap. mondo grass. Thanks, Vlad. It's amazing how big the nursery is. If you go and don't have a truck, you can 'borrow' one of their trucks to drive around. My car bottomed out on their rough road.

• lorabell_gw

Karen, Ive a small pup of N. Red Waif, and large pup of N. Inca x Fireball if interested.

• karen__w z7 NC

Lorabell, I'd love the pup of Inca x Fireball. Red Waif is what I gave you before, glad that it's doing well and pupping for you. I can't believe this is only three weeks away. I feel totally unprepared.

Screenwriter

Does anyone have a pink bearded iris to share?

• lorabell_gw

I’m seriously unprepared as well.

Ralph, want a bunch of garlic to eat?

Anyone else, I’ve two varieties of garlic for eating or planting. Rouge River Red -a medium and Transylvania- a hot.

I’ve also a miniature leaf African Violet.

Screenwriter

Hi Lorabell, I would like both varieties to plant. What would you like?

Brenda, do you want more Lamb's ears?

• tamelask

well for a change a major event isn't going on the day of the swap so i'm going to do some special trades, within a reasonable amount of time. :)

Lester, is there anything i can trade you for some of the Tephrocactus articulatus?

Screen writer, i am intersted in your Cephalanthus ‘Bailoptics’ & Chitalpa ‘Morning Cloud. i have a dwarf dark purple siberian iris, and double saponaria that i could trade that were on your list.

Lorabell - what color is the mini african violet?

Brenda, i'll keep thinking about what else we could swap but right now i have you down for tapioca and the climbing fern for spiranthes.

I have a bunch of houseplants/non hardies propagated - brilliantasia, 'mona' plectranthus, a mix of angel and dragon wing begonias, blue ginger (a tradescantia relative), some abutilons, and aloe vera.

for hardy perennials i also have aquilegia canadensis, white wood aster, zigzag solidago, strawberry begonia, hosta ventricosa, catnip, marshmallow, lion's tail (special trade), apple mint, mountain mint, egyptian/walking onion sets, dwarf tamarilllo (special trade), garlic chives, 'cassis' yarrow, verbena bonariensis, malvaviscus drummondii, 'black & blue' salvia guaranitica, 'artgentine skies' s. guaranitica, 'grand parade' beebalm, 'raspberry wine' beebalm, a pale lavendar tall beebalm, hibiscus coccinia, platycodon. I'll add more when i can see what else we have started later this week. I can also take cuttings of hardy kiwis and a few other things fresh the day of the swap. We are selling plants for our garden and the swap is after our last sale so i'll bring an assortment of what we have left for the swap.

I'm looking for mini things - esp really interesting ones. Unusual herbs or edibles, too. Natives that do well in part shade or shade are always a good bet for me, too.

• lorabell_gw

Tammy,

i don’t know the color of miniature African violet. Was given 6 little leafs a year ago- nice sized plants today. Haven’t bloomed for me yet.

I’ll take Sylvee

• karen__w z7 NC

Tammy, I’ve got a rooted cutting of Salvia Anthony Parker for you if you‘re still interested.

• Ralph Whisnant

Anyone interested in rooted coleus cuttings to over winter? I have about 20 different varieties rooted plus several varieties of plectranthus and large flowered portulaca.

• lorabell_gw

Ralph, can a please get your portulaca? Is it your bicolored?

screenwriter, yes to the garlics. I’d love your Chitalpa morning cloud

• CasaLester RTP, NC (7b)

Tamelask, unfortunately, we only had one extra Tephrocactus that has been promised to Karen W. Maybe Senor Vlad has some more?

As discussed before, we are interested long term in your guava seeds. See our trading list, which has been updated. The varieties of H. syriacus that we have available are pictured under the Hibiscus genetics thread, except 'Blue Satin", which we'll keep until we have some plantings established.

We are already quite exhausted after Lauren Clear's plant rescue, so we have to stick to accepting trades from our list, unless something is really exciting.

• karen__w z7 NC

Brenda, I potted up the pink Callicarpa for you over the weekend, was happy to see that it had roots. Let me see what else I have that might interest you - my oldest daughter is in a house now and is coming to the swap with me this fall and I'd love to get her an Edgeworthia/rice paper plant.

• karen__w z7 NC

Lester, I think I can bring you orostachys this fall and based on my prior experience recommend that you leave them sitting out in their pots and ignore them over the winter. Has always worked well for me, I can also bring you Aechmea Prieto, if you want a nearly black bromeliad.

• brenda_near_eno

Karen, i will happily bring you a Tetrapanax, rice paper plant. Edgeworthia is different.

• karen__w z7 NC

Oh those common names! Tetrapanax looks cool and I’d love it. Will have to hit Vlad up for an Edgeworthia for Monroe.

• Ralph Whisnant

Lorabelle, I have 5 varieties of portulaca. The original bicolored rose and white, its solid red and solid white reversion products, a new bicolored one named 'Gaye's Peach' and a double flowered version of the rose and white colors. All of these are fairly easy to overwinter compared to most portulacas which just fade away in the greenhouse in the winter. Will you have garlic this year? Now that I have access to this website, I will post what I have to trade asap.

• Ralph Whisnant

I am also rooting some petunia Wave Red Velour and petunia Wave Deep Red to overwinter in my greenhouse and to share. They root easily and make beautiful trailing plants that thrives in my barely heated greenhouse. Ditto the African Blue Basil. Lorabel, I finally caught up on the above posts and see that you offered garlic already. You know I would love some.

• tamelask

Lorabell, you are welcome to come and see her after the swap but taking her!? over my dead body... ;) Brenda's coming over to see her baby and give her a shot, so seriously, you are most welcome. I'm willing to try the little african violet if i have anything OTHER than Sylvee i can trade LOL!

Lester, no biggie. It's super cool - maybe at some point. Unfortunately my guavas didn't fruit this summer. They are happy, so i don't know why. :/ But i will save you seeds next time it happens! I'm happy to bring some fresh cuttings if you'd like to give that a go; just let me know.

Karen, i'd love to get anthony again. I think i actually have him (i have something whose leaves look the same), but in cases.

Ralph, it sounds like you're starting a whole new trend with your somewhat cool hardy portulacas! We have the solid magenta and the bi colored for the garden. Would love to get some blue basil again if i have anything you'd like.

• CasaLester RTP, NC (7b)

Tamelask, don't recall precisely whether you have Acca/Feijoa sellowiana (pineapple guava) or Psidium cattleianum (strawberry guava) or both, but since they are rated zone 8 and 9, respectively, an outside shrub would likely be the former.

We talked about propagation with Sir John and he said that the rooting percentage of cuttings is very low. However, according to this article rooting efficiency varies significantly depending on the location of the cuttings:
    "The easiest to root pineapple guava tree cutting is one taken from the bottom of the tree, according to horticulturist Michael Dirr. These cuttings rooted 87 percent of the time, while those from the middle and the top rooted 63 percent and 9 percent, respectively." So we could give it a try if you could get their recommended material: "Cuttings should be one-fifth inch in diameter, contain at least three nodes, or areas on the cutting where the leaves join it, and have two leaves at the tip". However, they say that "The ideal time to take the cutting is in November".

• tamelask

Lester, i have both. the strawberry guava comes in the greenhouse/basement for the winter. i have several different pineapple guavas to take cuttings from if you'd like, and 2 strawberry guavas. if you want to meet up in novemeber sometime to get cuttings we can do that or i'm happy to take some for the swap. let me know. (i don't know how far you come). the pineapple guavas do have fruit set so i can save some seeds but they won't be ready til close to nov either.

• pambucol

Karen, I will bring you an Edgeworthia!

Les/Karen - do you guys want a nice big piece of a euphorbia bovicornuta? There is plenty to share so I can get you both a piece

Lorabell - your condom plant is getting ready to SUPER bloom (I hope I will not jinx it) ... it probably has ... I don't know 30+ blooms...

Tammy - I will bring you both varieties of Tephrocactus. I swear, you can only keep those to 3 segments ... if you look at them they break ... so no chance to bloom them.

Do you still do the potted agave sales? If yes, I can put aside a bunch of the agave pups.

...I think I will try to clean my big agaves this weekend - prepare the bandaids

Karen, Less, Mike, anybody? - I will bring some A Lopanthas quadricolor over, do you want me to put some aside for you?

Karen - didn't I bring you some Echinocereus reichenbachii from seed? If not or anybody ... I have a few segments that busted so I can bring some. They make very pretty blooms...

Any other special requests?

Vlad

Screenwriter

Vlad, I would like Agave Lopanthas quadricolor pups.

Lester, I would like the yucca recurvifolia and Iris 'Hello Yellow.' Unfortunately, I don't have anything you want.

Vlad and Lester, let me know what you would like to trade?

Screenwriter

Lorabell, I have only one 'Morning Cloud' and Tammy asked first. What else would you like?

• pambucol

Screenwriter, you got it.

Vlad

• tamelask

Vlad- yes, indeed we do and we're out! Would love to get some. Do we need to buy you a big box of bandaids?? ;) good to know about the tephrocactus. it looks cool enough i don't care.
    what can i get for you?

• CasaLester RTP, NC (7b)

Tamelask, since that article doesn't specify how much better the November cuttings are it would make sense to try them first now in case the difference from September is acceptable. If they show no rooting until November we may get in touch about a second batch. Seeds can wait until spring.

For Psidium cattleianum summer cuittings are recommended: "Cuttings of half-ripe wood, July/August in a frame", and a number of sources mention also root cuttings and suckers.

• CasaLester RTP, NC (7b)

Vlad, cannot find any info on Euphorbia bovicornuta, did you mean Agave bovicornuta? The answer is yes. We'll also take more backups of A. lophantha 'Quadricolor' for our outside plantings whose winter survival is still undetermined. Also yes to Echinocereus reichenbachii.

• pambucol

Tammy ... bandaids or thick leather top with AC included :-). I looked at some pictures from last year when I was pulling and I got SOAKED from the heat and humidity...

• pambucol

Les, definitely not agave bovicornuta. I have one of those also. Hmmm ... I always called that euphorbia bovicornuta... This is the plant:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/HH93wCeukkXs1Rcz7 

OK. I will bring you all the other stuff also.

Vlad

• CasaLester RTP, NC (7b)

That seems to be Euphorbia grandicornis. The answer is still yes.

• elsie narron

Gail, Are you planning to make it to the swap? If not I will bring your plants in the spring.Let me know please!

• karen__w z7 NC

Vlad, I don't think I got one of your Echinocereus reichenbachii seedlings so I'd love a piece. And if you've got extra of the second Tephrocactus species (different from the one I'm getting from Les), I'd love a piece of that too. I've got several Quadricolors but have never put them outside - do they winter for you? I may have asked that before but have forgotten the answer. Finally (or not) I'd like a piece of the Euphorbia. You gave me that last year and I had it potted up to root, but a big wind came and blew it away. I swear I'm not making that up. I looked for weeks in the woods for that thing.

BTW, I looked this up: Euphorbia grandicornis = Cow's Horn euphorbia, Agave bivocornuta = Cow's Horn agave.

• CasaLester RTP, NC (7b)

While the common name is a literal translation of the scientific name for the latter, it should be Bighorn euphorbia for the former.

• pambucol

Les, what are you bringing Karen - tephrocactus? ... pricks or no pricks? To know what to bring...

... Euphorbia Grandicornis ... I am making a tag right NOW!!!!

Vlad

• CasaLester RTP, NC (7b)

We have only one variety of Tephrocactus - the one with soft paper-like spines.

• karen__w z7 NC

Les, can I get some of your Glaucium seeds?

• CasaLester RTP, NC (7b)

Yes, they were already promised in the post with the timestamp August 6, 2019 at 7:23PM. Also, check out our updated list.

• karen__w z7 NC

Sorry, I've been slammed at work and haven't been able to keep up with the postings very well. I'll try to catch up this week.

Screenwriter

Lorabell, I would like the Alstomeria psittacina. I have orange alstomeria to trade. I don't have another 'Morning Cloud'. What else would you like?

Screenwriter

Lester, I would like colocasia 'Black Magic' and Royal Hawaiian Aloha' too. Please let me know what you would like.