tcbjones98

Help for kitchen paint color needed-butterfly beige counter tops

tcbjones98
last modified: July 30, 2019

We have butterfly beige counter tops, stainless steel appliances, and white kitchen cabinets. From the choices we had at the company we were working with, we picked an antique white subway tile back splash to go on the wall, which is to be installed soon. The white subway tile was whiter than the kitchen cabinets, so we didn't go there, although I seriously thought about white tile with dark grout. The other tiles were variations of grays, from light to medium, to dark. We have bead board on the bottom part of the walls and we have high ceilings on two walls. I need help choosing paint colors for an east facing kitchen that gets great early morning light, but darkens during the day. The tile looks slightly gray in the morning, but then gets very bland as the day progresses. Our kitchen floor is in the beige colors tile. I am looking at Light French Gray or Edgecomb Gray for the wall color above the bead board. But, I have thought about something tan and lighter - just don't know what to choose. I don't want the space to become too dark and weighted down. Edgecomb gray becomes more taupy in the kitchen space.

I have no idea without at least seeing samples of all the elements . As for the change in color that comes from having lighting that is not the right color IMO LEDS in 4000K range help keep colors true all the time. I rarely like beige and gray together

tcbjones98 thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • tcbjones98

Thank you. I just got my pictures uploaded. We also plan to change the hardware to oil rubbed bronze.

need help in kitchen counter top...

I agree with the soapstone comments. It is a beautiful product, but really gains a patina over time and will not keep the cool feel you have going with the whites and greys. Ceasar Stone is a wonderful option. It is in the higher end price point of most solid surface materials, but worth it for beauty, ease of use & longevity.

Need help with paint color to use on kitchen walls with wedge wood blue laminate counter tops.

Without a picture of the counters, it's difficult to recommend a color. Sans a picture, I'm thinking maybe a very soft, light lime green. You could pick up on the green with vases, bowls, etc. on the counter top and add a colorful blue and lime roller shade.

We need help with paint for the kitchen and what counter tops

Beautiful start! Personally I prefer the Blue. I see a light/white granite with greys and beiges and browns with big movement. Since your backsplash is simple (and btw i LOVE it with the grey grout) I think you can have fun w the counter tops. Blue kitchens are awesome I think. The kitchen feels contemporary with the backsplash/ though timeless, I think the melon walls might be too country? That's my taste anyways...

Need help with paint colors and Counter Tops. PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!

A warm gray/beige would work better than the current cool gray on your walls. Benjamin Moore CSP-220 Lace Handkerchief is a nice option. It is a great color to use when gray is wanted but warmth is needed. Take a look at a sample of it with your countertops.This whole line of paints (B Moore's Color Stories) has some great gray options: http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/for-architects-and-designers/color-stories/shades-of-gray
  • tcbjones98

Our painter uses Sherwin Williams paints or Benjamin Moore paints. Our kitchen opens on the other side to our great room and dining room which are currently painted a Porter Paint called Soft Cloud.

• herbflavor

the soft cloud is really a warm tan unless your setting does something else to it. I think Id put SW sky high blue 6504 or another one like that on the kitchen walls. blue is always cool to live with, but some, like this, possess some yellow to work w those tans that are interspersed everywhere in your space. I look at the kitchen and the white is cool, the stainless is cool, but the floor and counters correspond to the warmth of your porter paint and the backsplash is warmer. It's hard to get this all to work out …..so a very light blue with yellow in the formula is what I'd do. It'll work with the warm things and the white and stainless as well .It would be nice...keep it light and move away from all the tans and you don't need gray if you find a very pale pretty blue.

tcbjones98 thanked herbflavor
  • tcbjones98

Do you think going back to white tiles with dark grout would be better?

• thinkdesignlive

Any chance we can see all three paint options vertical by the tile floor. All three could work w your counters but good to get a visual w the floors. I’d say stick with white tile to match cabinets.

tcbjones98 thanked thinkdesignlive
  • Momofthree Ma

We have BM Balboa mist throughout our first floor and I love it. I just think it is the perfect light greige and looks slightly different depending on lighting and what’s around it. Excuse the messy house(kitchen is getting demoed in two weeks!), but this is it in three different rooms with natural light.

• thinkdesignlive

Balboa Mist is much too cool w the OPs counters and tile floor. The 3 that were posted - BM pale Oak, SW Canvas Tan and Accessible Beige are in the right ‘warm griege’ family.
    https://www.mariakillam.com/is-greige-mistake/

tcbjones98 thanked thinkdesignlive
  • thinkdesignlive

And btw Momma that Balboa Mist looks great in your setting!

• Momofthree Ma

I thought edge comb grey was in the same family, no??? I had them in different spaces in my other house and I think that even though balboa is cooler, it’s kind of a chameleon in the way it looks different in different light. Paint color is definitely not my specialty, but I really love edgecomb grey and balboa mist. But, I will defer on the tone factor because I am not good on reading that :)

• tcbjones98

My floor isn't showing up the exact right color - it is lighter than the top couple of pictures.

• Momofthree Ma

Are you trying to match the tile to the paint? Some of them are almost exactly the same, just wondering if a whiter tile would work better with one of those paint colors.

tcbjones98 thanked Momofthree Ma
  • tcbjones98

Not trying to match the tile to the paint. My husband got involved in selecting new counter top material and tile. I had a lighter counter top and white tiles picked out. He wanted darker counter top because he thought it matched the flooring better. I still thought I might want white tile with this counter top Butterfly Beige, but we thought the white was too white next to our cabinets, so settled on the antique white as it seemed to blend with the counter tops. It's not installed yet and I keep second guessing the decision. We are selling and were told to upgrade kitchen from old laminate and the blue and pink wallpaper. We are having to add bead board to the walls to cover the wallpaper because it is stuck to the sheet rock, from the initial build and previous owners, which was not painted or primed before the wallpaper was put up. So, the bead board will be painted one color, and there will be another color above it. I started on paint colors by choosing ones that were listed as good staging colors for selling a home.

• thinkdesignlive

Ok I’m totally confused. Is the floor and counters in the pictures the final or are you changing?

tcbjones98 thanked thinkdesignlive
  • tcbjones98

The floor and counters are final. The tile and paint are coming.

• tcbjones98

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ho9C4DP3Hco

Saw this just recently. Wondering how this would look?

• CindyR

I’m not a pro...

I have seen more husbands (especially mine) trying to make decorating and design decisions and it ruins the partner’s whole overall plan. They do this by picking one element and fixating on it without being able to look at the whole design plan (not saying at all that your design is ruined - but it was not what you originally envisioned).

I’m not a man-disliker by the way!

I think the antique white looks “dirty” compared to your cabinets, and something lighter would look better. I just don’t see any way to make grey walls look super cohesive with antique white tile and tan floors? Maybe better would be to paint your walls the same color of creamy white as your cabinets, and choose the same color for your backsplash?

tcbjones98 thanked CindyR
  • luckyblueeye

I have that same granite...on its way out in reno but it was great for years (bulletproof with 4 kids and hides everything...almost too well). I did a bead board back splash at the time and painted it BM paper mache. It looks wonderful with the granite. My island is white but my perimeter cabinets are a soft warm gray. The granite really reads gray (with a green undertone, not beige at all) in my kitchen which is why I wanted to keep it horizontal only, no matching back splash color which would make it climb up the wall ;)

tcbjones98 thanked luckyblueeye
  • CindyR

I just re-read and you are selling:

If I was looking at your home (flip?) I would know that either the granite has been there for years and is outdated, or I would need to budget to have new countertops and floors put in if I bought it. Grey walls and subway tile with dark grout also seem “off” to me.

I think the best thing to do is tile that is less “tan” with a nice, creamy white for walls that closely matched your cabinets and walls. The beadboard in a semi or satin finish and walls in eggshell or scrubbable matte.

tcbjones98 thanked CindyR
  • thinkdesignlive

Tcb - I watched the video....that kitchen turned out well because the dark grout worked with the other dark elements like appliances, hardware and the floor was a neutral wood. With OPs tile floor and other existing items a clean white tile that matches the cabinet color with a matching grout will work better. I echo someone else's statement about the beige tile looking dirty in this situation. Do the tile first then address paint. I'd be happier recommending an actual paint color for the kitchen knowing other rooms and seeing more pics of the kitchen.

• thinkdesignlive

Sorry TCB - just realized you are the OP :) - and just re read that you plan to change the hardware....are you doing this everywhere in the home? Will the ORB be on all door hardware throughout the home? I'd strongly suggest focusing on the tile (white with matching grout or subtlety darker grout like a bone white). Then do the hardware and select paint LAST. Thank you for the paint tone pictures with your floor - could you retake the shots with the paint samples propped vertically against the wall by the tile floor. Look at all samples as you will see them in real life because the light hits them different so anything vertical (like paint) should be evaluated vertically.

• tcbjones98

We had started upgrades in some other rooms in the house several years ago before parents became ill and I had to stop. Light fixtures and cabinet hardware and door handles will all become oil rubbed bronze.

• tcbjones98

I think now that I have support for the white tiles from so many, it will be easier to pick paint colors. I was just having trouble with the antique white tile looking so drab and trying to figure out something to bring life back in there. I am having to bite the bullet and pay a restocking fee and shipping and handling, but I think it will be worth it in the long run.

• tcbjones98

Sherwin Williams Sea Salt ended up the paint color. It toned the countertops down.

• justerrilynn

Tcbjon, how high are your ceilings? I like the third sample down you posted above. If your ceilings are high I’d pare that with a semi gloss warm charcoal (not black) ceiling Or a semi gloss tint or bold floor color. ETA: ”If” the ceiling was high enough for a color you could even keep the walls the cabinet color.

• thinkdesignlive

Do you have pics of everything you went with? Are you happy?