Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roarahgw

Street numbers and pediment opinions.

roarah
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

We changed out front lights finally. Our new lights fall lower so we took down the street number to paint and rehang but it hit me I could put them above my door on the transome. I have only seen this done in real life on brownstones it seems. Is it fitting in the suburbs? Also do I add No. Before the number or just center the number, we only have two digits. Or do I just put my numbers back under the lights? Help me decide please.

Picture of my house from the street(we are replacing the front steps in the fall and the over grown landscaping will be pulled out then)

Mock up with letters and number

No letters

Numbers under lights

Last question the colonial pediment above the door is reall wood, unlike the cheap siding the previous owner slapped on so it leads me to believe it is orginal. I also have seen it on house plans of similar house models as mine. But I do not love it. Would it be a crime to have that altered by taking the part above the dental molding off? Like this.

Comments (31)

• dedtired
    4 years ago

What a darling house! Love it. I like No letters the best. Yes, it would be a crime to take down that pretty molding. It adds a lot of charm.

roarah thanked dedtired
  • Painted Peggies (zone 6a)
    4 years ago

I vote for 73 and YES, keep the pediment!
    Gorgeous house!

roarah thanked Painted Peggies (zone 6a)
  • roxanna7
    4 years ago

Out of lurkdom to say I love your house, and the entry is so pretty. I would not remove the pediment, it adds tons of charm and makes the door extra special, IMO. As for the house number, I'm going against the present majority and voting for the "No. 47 (or whatever it is) -- it suits your pretty house nicely, I think, and makes a unique statement.

Do please come back and let us know what you finally decide!

roarah thanked roxanna7
  • Feathers11
    4 years ago

What a sweet home! I agree with others about the pediment--keep!

I could go either way on the numbers, although I'd lean toward 73 because the "No." reminds me of a public building near me. But you can't go wrong either way, IMO.

roarah thanked Feathers11
  • vc01
    4 years ago

Out of lurkdom too, I vote for taking down the pediment and doing numbers on the transon (no "No")

roarah thanked vc01
  • OutsidePlaying
    4 years ago

I like the numbers (no letters) on the transom best. But does it bother you to cover the transom or will they be a stencil on the glass? I definitely would leave the pediment.

Your house is lovely and will be even more so with the new landscaping and steps.

roarah thanked OutsidePlaying
  • Fun2BHere
    4 years ago

I think the pediment adds a lot of presence to your entrance so I vote to keep it. I like the idea of moving the house numbers to the transom. I would probably print out the two versions, cut them out and tape them up to see which version I liked better.

roarah thanked Fun2BHere
  • yeonassky
    4 years ago

I also vote to keep the pediment and only doing numbers on the transom. But I do like the idea of testing it out as suggested above. When you do that and post the pictures we would love to give our opinions again. :-).

Obviously it will be wonderful to see when you finish the stairs but you have a beautiful place already.

roarah thanked yeonassky
  • cawaps
    4 years ago

I think the door looks naked without the pediment. If you don't like the style, maybe you can find a period-appropriate replacement that is more to your liking.

Remember that house numbers are there so that people--sometimes very important people like firemen or police--can find your house, day or night. I've visited friends at night and had the darndest time finding their house because the house numbers weren't illuminated, weren't large enough, were weirdly placed, or were missing entirely. I hate to think what would happen if they had an emergency. The numbers on the transom look charming, but I think the numbers below the light would be more visible.

roarah thanked cawaps
  • nini804
    4 years ago

Please keep the pediment....there is too much “dead” space above without it. I dont really like the numbers in the window...I think they look charming below the light. You house is absolutely lovely!!

roarah thanked nini804
  • Olychick
    4 years ago

While I like the numbers on the window, I don't think they are nearly visible enough. I think everyone will be looking near the lights for them and might not think to look at the transom.

The pediment is not my style, but it looks gorgeous on your home. I think it would really lessen the curb appeal to remove it. Or as someone else suggested, perhaps changing it to another style would suit you better.

roarah thanked Olychick
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    4 years ago

I like the numbers on glass, but u r right I have only ever seen it in urban areas and perhaps because it only works if you have streetlights to illuminate?

Others may be more knowledgeable, but the pediment looks Georgian to me and your lovely home does not. Even if it was original or close to original, it doesn't mean it necessarily belonged? I like your simpler version, but then I am a sucker for Greek revival which it reminds me of.

roarah thanked mtnrdredux_gw
  • pudgeder
    4 years ago

Oh I agree! Keep the pediment! It's gorgeous!

And I love the door & color. Simply divine.

roarah thanked pudgeder
  • lascatx
    4 years ago

I would keep the pediment and I like the character of the number painted on the glass, but unless you always have a light on either shining on it or backlighting it from behind it might not be seen by those who need to see it. Do you have enough room to put black numbers between the transom and the dentils?

roarah thanked lascatx
  • Bunny
    4 years ago

Roarah, I love your house. When you're done with it, please give it to me!

I'm not reading the other comments. I love the "No. 47" in the transom window. It's so stately and looks like it was meant to be.

A couple of years ago I replaced my poxy little suburban lit box of numbers with real numbers. It was harder to find what I wanted than I'd imagined. Then where to put them. It was actually a fun project.

ETA: As long as the numbers are visible to first responders. If the numbers are painted in the transom window will they be visible at night?

roarah thanked Bunny
  • iheartsix
    4 years ago

Your house is so charming - love! As for the numbers - I love the concept of putting them in the transom but what would it look like from the inside?

roarah thanked iheartsix
  • Oakley
    4 years ago

73 centered, and it's a felony punishable by life in prison to take down the pediment. :)

• smalloldhouse_gw
    4 years ago

Such a charming house! I'm just back from Cape Cod and it reminds me of all the beautiful old homes there. You can't go wrong with any of these options, but I think I lean toward the "No. #" most. And while I'm not usually a pediment person, it looks very right on your entry - quietly accentuates the peaks of the roofs.

roarah thanked smalloldhouse_gw
  • eld6161
    4 years ago

I agree with Annie. I was also thinking of another place for the letter and I think she nailed it.

The only issue is that it is very low and i wonder if people would not spot it right away? Drive right past and then have to turn around?

Where are the numbers of the rest of the houses on your street? If they are where you used to have them then those unfamiliar will be looking at the same place for yours.

I am not sure that painted numbers in gold on the window would be visible enough on a sunny day.

Whatever you decide I would keep it to numbers.

roarah thanked eld6161
  • maire_cate
    4 years ago

I like Annie's idea of the classic numbers on the door.

Is that a mail box post in the front yard by the street? Do you have numbers on it?

roarah thanked maire_cate
  • eandhl2
    4 years ago

I would not hide the transom windows.

roarah thanked eandhl2
  • Painted Peggies (zone 6a)
    4 years ago

Re: house number visibility, do you have a mailbox? You can put reflective stick on numbers on the post of your mailbox for emergency/ night purposes Or the post pictures in your yard...

I like the transom idea for decorative purposes, but it doesn’t mean it has to be the ONLY way your house number is identified.

roarah thanked Painted Peggies (zone 6a)
  • HU-324894491
    4 years ago

I would not take down the pediment but by the same token am puzzled why you selected craftsman style lights for your residence. Put numbers wherever they will be seen easily from the street.

roarah thanked HU-324894491
  • Eileen
    4 years ago

I like the numbers under the light.

roarah thanked Eileen
  • roarah
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Sorry I missed all these comments. For some reason my post posted twice, once on weds. on the decorating side and I guess it posted separately yesterday on the conversation side. Not sure what I did wrong so my apologies for the double posting.

i have a storm window that fits above the transom so I am going to try both transom ideas on that before deciding. I am trying to space for the mullions. I just finished the first option but my DH is away camping until Sunday and I need him to help put it in place over the door( I am not suppose to go on ladders anymore :( so no pictures until then. Sorry.

the pediment looks like the wrong style to me too Annie and MTR but it is on a similar kit house, the cedar, for now I will probably keep it. Here is the cedar house

Hu-324, I know the side lights are not perfect but I went for scale to match these drawings of similar style homes as mine and I no longer have the luxury of spending unlimited time nor money to find perfection. I am happy with good enough.

And I wanted touches of copper

I am still not sure which way I will go but you have all been so helpful with helping me filter through my choices. There is not enough room on the pediment I do have house numbers on the clock post presently so emergency personal can spot my house :). I will try to put sticker numbers on the pediment and the door tomorrow to see how that works too.

• OllieJane
    4 years ago

Definitely the numbers under the light.

• User
    4 years ago

I’ve liked many of the comments while reading down this thread. I think I like the numbers under the light or on the door best.

eta So pretty!!

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    4 years ago

I like the transom that's there, and the pediment too, and it does seem like it would be hard to find a good place for the number on the front of the house.

Forgive me if this was mentioned and I missed it, but have you thought about something like this along the walkway instead?

roarah thanked carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
  • roarah
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I did a mock up of " no 42" on a storm glass from inside it spaces perfectly but outside the numbers are too high and I used gold paint not gold leaf so not a perfect example but it is not what I envisioned so I think I will go with putting the numbers under the light and carol I love the post numbers! Off to google that idea! Thankyou.

• Kitch4me
    4 years ago

Thanks for the mock up. I think under the light will be perfect!