tonya_shortino

Wood Beams in Ceilings

Tonya Shortino

We are having wood beams put in our living and family room and can't decide what color wood to do. Our cabinets are espresso and the floor is a smokey mesquite wood. Should be stick with espresso beams?

• calidesign

Your home looks very contemporary. I don't see beams in any color working well.

Tonya Shortino thanked calidesign
  • decoenthusiaste

Personally, I would not cut that soaring room in half with beams. Instead, I'd face the fireplace with something dramatic.

Eldorado Stone 2017 · More Info

Hampton’s Style House · More Info

Eldorado Stone Fireplace Surrounds & Mantel Shelves · More Info

Tonya Shortino thanked decoenthusiaste
    Beth H. :

your pics are thumbnail size and don't even show the ceiling. how were you planning on using the beams? you have to be more specific.

I'd rather you do something w/that huge fireplace. right now it's just kind of blah but has so much potential.

that 2nd pic (Hampton) posted above would look great in your space. coffered ceilings too.

or

• Tonya Shortino

Thank you Beth! I do LOVE the 2nd picture and agree the fireplace is blah! We're still looking for the perfect art piece to go on that side of the wall. The center beam will be a little thicker as the ceilings drops about 8 inches into the walkways and makes it hard to wrap the fireplace as the drywall doesn't make it easy to do. (last picture shows the fireplace and soffits on the right connect to the wall)

Beth H. :

what if you did the same dark tone on your beams (like your fan or cabs) but did the ceiling in either a bright white, or even a coordinating color? maybe it's the pictures, but I'm wanting to see some contrast w/the walls/ceilings,,etc. or perhaps when you find the perfect art piece to go above the FP, that will help. something with some color would look great! love the fan and lights.

see this example? dark beams, bright white, but look at the green wall. it's a nice accent w/the artwork. Even the fireplace stone just adds so much.

or if you're in to monotone, even this all white FP is jazzed up with some millwork and a dark wood mantel

now for the contrast I mentioned earlier, you could do a dark ceiling w/white beams

i love this one with the white beams

I also like how they did the light and dark contrast with that upper story wall like you have. and the added millwork in the same dark color is brilliant. you don't have to put artwork there, I think the millwork is enough.

so, you would do the same here, (my photoshop sucks, but you get the idea)

the other walls white or your light gray, and do the same dark color going up the fireplace. find a cool painting that coordinates w/that look and it's no longer blah!

here it's done in the white^

or some artwork:

or nothing,,(on the upper wall) but you'll also notice that the fireplace and glam light fixture take up the slack

Tonya Shortino thanked Beth H. :
  • deb s

looks like a nice house but more contemporary - please hire a good decorator who can come to the house. You may be taking it in a design direction that may not work

Norwood Architects

Don't have any real advice about adding beams to the ceiling. That decision would be better made by someone who is actually in the space. Will agree with other posters - the fireplace (and the rest of the space) could use some extra drama - color, texture, artwork, accessories, etc. Your color scheme is pretty neutral and should allow you to add dramatic pops of color throughout. Good luck!

• bpath Oh Sophie

Are you adding beams at the ceiling, or a little lower to visually bring the ceiling down a little?

Sina Sadeddin Architectural Design

Beam have no place in that style of home. Add interest in other places.

BeverlyFLADeziner

IMO lighter would be better than the espresso which is harsh for an architectural detail.

Tonya Shortino thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • Karen Rose

I agree, beautiful home and I don’t see beams either. Keep it clean and contemporary and if you have money to spend do what Beth suggests to the fireplace.

Tonya Shortino thanked Karen Rose
  • calidesign

You already have a lot going on above with all the window cutouts. Keep your focus on the other elements in the room.

Tonya Shortino thanked calidesign