bpatlinden

Do you have a favorite daily routine?

bpath Oh Sophie

My favorite is, besides my getting-up routine, going to the kitchen. DH has made coffee, I pour a cup, check my email, check in here. Time to pour a second cup, and I put my English muffin in the toaster. By the time it pops back up, I have emptied the dishwasher, given the cats fresh water, and am putting DH’s breakfast dishes in.

I love this little dishwasher-and-toaster routine so much. It’s kind of like that general’s “make your bed” speech. It’s a fast and easy thing to do, and I like the feeling of accomplishment so much, it gets me off to a good start.

Do you have a favorite routine?

• aprilneverends

I get up early, make coffee, make a toast, or just take a piece of cheese..quickly wipe the floors(lol!) ..and then drink said coffee and check emails, forums, etc. That's morning

And in the evening, I really like going to sleep. I take a hot bath, I usually go for a smoke(I know, I know, it's bad for me.. known that for 30 years), if my DH happens to be home-we talk..happens rarely as he works very long hours..then I go to bed and take a book, I put my glasses on(recent development..I find it strangely calming, this putting-glasses-on routine), and I read.

Everything in the middle..I do have a routine but I wouldn't describe it as favorite

• yeonassky

Getting up doing my normal morning ablutions and then going and walking the dogs. Preferably with DH if he's here or not. Just love going and walking my dogs! It feels as civilized as drinking tea. ;-)

• IdaClaire

Over the past decade or so, I've really started noticing how "stuck in" I am to so many aspects of my daily routine. From the morning coffee that I carry back to bed before I must get ready for the day, to the habit of packing my lunch every evening, making sure the coffee pot is set to turn on automatically in the morning, even down to the TV show I tune to before drifting off -- it's always the same and rarely ever deviates. In fact, deviation sometimes throws me off and seems to upset my mojo a bit. I like routine. I like it very much.

You're going to think I'm absolutely batdoo crazy when I tell you what my FAVORITE part of the daily routine has become, however. It started almost a year ago, when we discovered that the new kitten we adopted (who was separated from his mama early in life and was bottle-fed in his foster home for a time) loved to suckle on soft, fleecy fabrics. At first he'd do it to anything with a certain texture, including blankets and throws, but over time he's come to prefer my pink bathrobe. So ... each evening after dinner, I toss the robe on over my t-shirt and comfy pants, and we sit on the sofa for a little "nursing session." The cat will actually come running to me when he sees me walk out of the bedroom with the "fluffy pink mama." He usually "nurses" (complete with the mashy-mashy kneading and slurpy sounds) for 15 minutes or so, and often dozes off with the robe still in his mouth. And then, just like that, he's done and goes FLYING off my lap, on to the next cat thing on his agenda. It's ridiculous. It's weird. And I love every second of it.

• whatsayyou18

A favorite part of my morning is when DH wanders into the hearth room where I eat my breakfast and catch up on news. He picks up my breakfast dishes, takes them into the kitchen and deals with the kitchen mess I've made. :)

• dedtired

Mostly I have bad habits that I should change. I do enjoy my morning coffee. However, I love to listen to podcasts in bed at night. I love the moment when I choose my podcast, start it and snuggle under the covers to get lost in the story. The only down side is that I rarely hear the end since I invariably fall asleep. I have found them to be better than any sleeping pill.

• Feathers11

I have a purposeful step in my morning routine that has a history. Several years ago when my children were young, I developed a problem with alcohol, and at one point became concerned. I found an online forum (I was obsessed with labeling what it was I had), and I drummed up enough courage to post there for the first time. I admitted my fears as a young mother who was drinking too much but didn't know how to stop. An hour later, there were several replies to my post, reassuring me and giving me encouragement. One post in particular was especially pivotal in my journey. I no longer drink alcohol (except on occasion--fortunately, I do not have the addictive gene apparently), but I still check in that forum every morning and post to a daily thread committing to sobriety. Then, I find a post or two from someone new, posting for the first time, just like I had done, and I give them the same encouragement I had received years ago and the words of wisdom from that pivotal post.

There are other steps in my morning routine, but this one is the most meaningful. It takes about 5 minutes, but it's had a lasting impact on my life.

• Oakley

My two huge dogs were the cause of my new morning routine and I absolutely love it! I'm an early riser, 4-5 am. Our dogs demand to be fed their breakfast of canned food (the rest is dry food) and I need coffee to function. Don't even look at me before coffee!

Of course I'd have to let the dogs out, then in, let the cats out on the patio, fix coffee, feed the dogs, and then drink coffee. Until...

I decided to buy instant coffee which I don't mind. We have separate bedrooms and I set up my own coffee station. Hot tap water is fine. I also have one of those battery powered candles next to the bed. Perfect glow to do what I need without the dogs seeing the light on from under the door.

So I fix coffee, climb back in bed and play games on my iPad, read news, look at weather. I'm a very nice person when I get up now. :)

• dedtired

Feathers, that is lovely.

• IdaClaire

Yes, Feathers - it is indeed lovely, and it's lovely of you to share. I am sure you know you aren't alone in your past struggles. I'm so happy that you're in a much better place today.

• Zalco/bring back Sophie!

I can only imagine how much your routine matters to some people, Feathers. Thank you for he reminder to be open in order to be helpful.

• tinam61

What a wonderful thing to do Feathers.

• tinam61

My morning routine has changed and it's been wonderful. Here we are fortunate to have nice weather from early spring to late in the fall. I usually take the pup out after I get up (hubby gets up earlier than me now!) I give her her meds and then I will head back outside to sit and enjoy the morning. We have been lucky this year with not-so-hot temps and have had more moderate mornings. I like to sit and enjoy the birds, my flowers, etc. The Mr. works from home, so he will most often join me for a bit. Then I head back in for a cuppa cappuccino and I'll usually read blogs/instagram. Time then to start the day! Evenings are similar, you'll find us outdoors (it's light here till at least 9:00 pm), sharing our day, watching the pup, enjoying the sunset and sometimes the firepit. In colder weather we continue our routine in our sunroom/den.

• maddielee

I appreciate waking up and having the coffee ready, thanks DH! Watching a few minutes of news because that’s what I do every day since 9/11.

But I love getting into bed (after a shower) at night. Slipping into fresh sheets, quiet room and my book.

• tiwall

I just love going to bed at night and reading a book. I was an avid reader years ago, but got out of the habit. Sometimes, I'll walk into the bedroom and look at the bed longingly and can't wait to get comfy with a book. It feels like such a treat and like I'm on vacation.

• OutsidePlaying

Feathers, you have the best of the best routines.

Since I retired, I enjoy getting up (usually still early) for a cup of good coffee and taking it back to bed. I read for a while, check email and checkin here, then get up, have a little fruit or an egg. I go for a walk or run sometimes before I eat. Then I work in my garden or in the yard, depending on the weather. Then on to the rest of the day.

• eld6161

When the dog hears us start to wake, he comes into our room and asks to be invited up. We have a few minutes of snuggle time with him before starting the day.

• bpath Oh Sophie

Feathers, the wonderful thing is that you are now part of someone else’s routine, helping them get their day off to a good start. Love that.

I find that, when my life is a little discombobulated, my little dishwasher routine can reset the balance a bit in under 2 minutes.

• cooper8828

I love getting up and surfing while I have my coffee. I used to get up and read the paper with my coffee, so I guess this has been a long routine.

• Feathers11

I got notification of a bunch of "likes" on my comment and wanted to thank you for them and the thoughtful comments. When I started on that forum, I was a newbie, and now I'm happy to carry the torch. Those people made a major difference in my life at a time when I was too embarrassed to turn to my friends or even my doctor. Going there every morning is a cherished ritual.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)

Ah, retirement. I get up around 6:00, let the dogs out, and go back to bed. Then, I get up a little later, make my first cup of tea (the only one with caffeine), and start reading the Washington Post. By the time I finish, I have had two more cups of tea (decaf) and my day starts-usually out in the garden so I can forget everything I just read. Of course, all this goes out the window if I am asked to watch my year-old granddaughter and I don't mind a bit!

• bpath Oh Sophie

Oh, you all and your snuggle-umsroutines. They are your pets’ routines, in the end, aren’t they?

I’m just writing from a little place of envy. We are 3 people, 2 cats, and guess who the odd man (woman) out is? I remind these cats, they wouldn’t even be in this house if not for me, but do they acknowledge any gratitude whatsoever? No, they are cats. Sheesh. The one guards DH’s office door. The other sits on my son’s lap, desk, computer, chair, and sleeps on his bed.

So, I am left with nought but my mundane little dishwasher-unloading routine. That’s okay. I also do the grocery shopping. For kibble and friskies. Money and driving skills mean power, bwa-ha-ha-ha,

• NewEnglandgal

Just wanted to say this is such a nice little uplifting thread. I enjoyed reading everyone's responses and wanted to tell Feather she will never know how much a simple encouraging 2 minute response will help someone.

I am in an apartment till end of September so missing my gardening very much! I wake up, (do not drink coffee) and come out to my living room, read my daily Jesus Calling message, then come online. I work per diem (hardly ever these days) for a hospital and things are changing so much I am seriously contemplating giving my notice but the thought also scares me!

TGIF!

• bpath Oh Sophie

Whatsayyou, I love that your favorite routine is your DH’s routine :)

• LynnNM

Monday through Friday our alarm goes off at 5:30AM. DH and I prop ourselves up in bed with pillows and snuggle together while we watch the morning news. It’s such a nice way to start the day for us. At 6:00 I head to the kitchen to make our breakfast and pack him a lunch. At 6:30 I’m back in our bedroom with our breakfasts on trays that we eat while we catch a bit more of the news and DH finishes getting ready. After he heads to the clinic, I feed the fur kids and, when the weather is nice, I’ll head out to my garden or to the front portal with a cup of tea and my cell phone to catch up with all my family and friends on Facebook and here. I love my morning routine!

• bpath Oh Sophie

LynnNM, I see you’re on that routine right now. Good morning to you!

• beaglesdoitbetter

My husband and I take an afternoon or evening walk every day with the puppies. The time varies because some days he plays tennis after work but 4 days a week he doesn't work so we can go in the afternoon for a long walk in the woods. But, no matter what time he gets home, we always take our walk.

I like to feed the doggies breakfast in the morning too. They wake up with wagging tails and then get some yogurt, an egg, and a banana. Bailey has a harder time eating his egg since he had 4 teeth removed (strange b/c he still does fine with meat but he just can't seem to slurp the egg properly any more) so I feed him with a spoon.

• runninginplace

"I just love going to bed at night and reading a book. "

Tiwall you beat me to it! That's also one of my very favorite routines. I take my shower, get the house buttoned up for the evening (dishwasher running, things tidied, lights off) and then get in bed to read before I go to sleep. My bed is sooooo comfortable; I literally sigh with pleasure every single night when I lie down with whatever I'm going to peruse because it feels so cozy and relaxing.

• kkay_md

My unwavering routine is to get up at 6:10 and make Italian espresso for my husband and me. We peruse the Washington Post while we polish off the espresso. Around 7AM I go off on my 4-mile walk, come hell or high water. I do this 6-7 days a week, and it keeps me grounded–I'll often anticipate the walk the night before, and think of it with pleasure. Much of my walk is through tree canopy, which I find calming and beautiful..

• bpath Oh Sophie

DH and I were doing well with our walking routine, then “life happened”. We are trying to get back to it, we really enjoyed our walk through leafy streets, over a stream, past a couple of ponds, ending with the walk through the neighborhood critiquing and admiring homes.

• denali2007

I usually get up about 6:00 am and start the coffee. While it’s brewin.g I go out to our small pond and feed the fish and hopefully our two little frogs are sitting on the lilypads.Then I grab my coffee and just sit on my deck and observe.About this time my little chipmunk makes an appearance and I put a small pinch of birdseed down for him. I have 4 bird feeders and enjoy seeing them eat their breakfast. For the humming birds I just plant flowers that they are attracted to like lantana, salvia and anything tubular. The bees and butterflies and other pollinators are busy also.after about 45. Inutes to an hour I head back in for a bowl of cereal and a banana,get dressed then tend to my potted plants that need water and trimming!

• Hamma

This is such a nice thread! I thoroughly enjoyed reading everyone's comments.

• hhireno

I go to the gym 5 mornings a week and then come home for my one caffeinated tea of the day. Be still my beating heart, which is why I’m only allowed one a day, but I adore that cup of tea. I use my nicest, and largest, mug. Then I eat breakfast and read the paper. After showering and dressing, I spend some time online while my hair dries.

• Bestyears

I walk Savannah every morning, after I've had my coffee and yogurt. She loves her walks so much, it's just a joy, and yay me, I get my exercise in. Anywhere from 2-3 miles.

• bpath Oh Sophie

I recall a family member who was overweight. His doctor wrote on a prescription pad “JR must get a dog. And walk it.” Maybe I need a dog.

I have a little trouble getting up in the morning these days, trouble with motivation; life is a bit overwhelming. But when I take that one minute to empty the dishwasher, even if it’s at 10 am, I feel like it gets my day started. I’ve accomplished something, and it might just spur another accomplishment. (Hmm, 10 am? Maybe I should get a dog!)

• l pinkmountain

My routines are all out of whack, so not much to post. The puttering in the garden routine is my favorite, and I do need to do it for a bit every day. Other than that, it's all uncomfortable chaos but we try to make the best of it.

• salonva

I am enjoying this thread. I am a super early riser, always have been. I guess it's always been my solitary time before my kids (now grown ) got up or DH as well.

I am now retired but regardless, for the past I don't know 20 years or so, I get up naturally anywhere between 4 and 6 and spend at least an hour sometimes 3 or 4 drinking coffee, browsing on the internet, having the tv on in the background, reading my kindle.

I find if I try to read in the evening, I am just too tired so reading is ideal for me in the early morning or afternoon. When I read, I like to have classic music (which I get via our TV) on in the background.

So coffee, reclining with the chromebook on my lap, coffee, reading, planning, coffee are my favorite parts of the day.

• eld6161

Bpath, yes to getting a dog. Adopt, don't shop is our new motto. So many homeless dogs out there.

• Sueb20

My only real routine is drinking coffee. DH gets up earlier than I do and sets up my coffee maker for me so all I have to do is hit the On button. He just started this when I had shoulder surgery earlier this year, but I made such a fuss about how great it was, he has continued. He often attaches a post-it note where he's written a ridiculous made-up quote by a famous person regarding coffee, so I start my day with a chuckle.

What I would LIKE my morning routine to be:

Wake up.

Make the bed.

Do 20 minutes of stretching before I even leave my bedroom, then 15 minutes of meditation.

Have one cup of coffee.

Go for a walk or to the gym.

Shower, have second cup of coffee and breakfast.

Shower, get dressed.

My routine looks like that, ohhhh, once a month maybe. I am so undisciplined. My goal this fall, when DD leaves for college (wah) and life settles a bit, is to make this a priority.

• nosoccermom

DH brings coffee, newspaper, and breakfast bites to my bed.

• bpath Oh Sophie

This morning I realized that, while I love my morning coffee, I do NOT like the routine of it. It keeps me from getting started with my day. I can get to 10:00 and the only thing I’ve accomplished is emptying the dishwasher. That little sub-routine I love.

I have other little routines, like laundering the bed linens on Monday morning, towels on Tuesday. I used to have a great grocery shopping and meal prep routine until DH started working from home and likes to cook as his creative outlet.

I have some family affairs to be tending to, and I really want to establish a routine of going to my parents house at least 3 mornings a week to start clearing it out, and visiting my mom. But if I don’t get up showered and dressed, that doesn’t happen till noon!

One thing I miss about having to get my kids to school and about working at the preschool is that I had to be ready to go in the morning, and by 11:30 work was done and I could go on with the rest of my responsibilities. I was already dressed lol!

i have a motivation problem . . .