n_rutiaga

Invasion of a wildflower, pls help identify

Nira Juso

Hi all! Is anyone into wildflowers? We have a patch of plants under an non-gardened shaded area. My neighbor cultivates wildflowers and I remember seeing these in her garden at one point. Or are these weeds?? These blossom with small purple flowers certain times of the year. They have invaded an area under smal

tree, and it appears the patch just keeps multiplying. Can anyone help identify what kind of plant this might be? I live in South Texas.

• nel5397

The common name is Mexican Petunia (ruellia). It can be a thug in the garden.

• Nira Juso

Thank you Nel! We enjoy the flowers, but it doesn't blossom al year long and has gotten pretty annoying at taking over unwelcomed. Thug sounds correct. HA! Neighborhood cats love creeping in there, I'm sure other creatures do to...Yikes!

• Nira Juso

Cleared the whole patch under trees. Boy was that work! Whew! Wish I would have taken a before picture. Going to do so from now and on. Somewhat new to gardening but I've always loved it (from afar) felt intimidated by it and discouraged after a few failed attempts, which truly were lack of consistency on my part given that my little babies and household is a priority. Well babies are bit bigger now I feel that spending time in nature is good for me (and thus for my peeps) INTIMIDATED BY GARDENING NO MORE! This was sooooo EMPOWERING. From now on BRING IT!!

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex

There are some entertaining threads on Ruella. They spit seeds far and wide too. One hit me in the eye. Rude bugger. They also come back from small segments of the stools that they spread around with so keep after that patch. They are hard to get rid of, but not impossible. I would do a couple of pull outs before you plant anything there or you will be pulling out around freshly planted plants.

• memetexas

Well, I am one who was drooling over that bed because I love the purple flowers of Ruella, in fact I just went out this morning to admire mine that I fertilized last week and now they are all blooming. Sometimes it's not a bad thing to have them in an area that is perfect for them to grow especially when they seed themselves.

That's the beauty of using native plants, they're not all lined up like a row of soldiers.