Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_177919586

Help! Stain removal on white granite getting worse with each attempt

HU-177919586
4 years ago

We just moved and have white granite with grey streaks (or we think its granite, don’t think she would’ve put marble) countertops in our bathroom. I left my bioOil bottle on the counter and it left oil rings in 2 days.

days later I tried dry baking soda on it for 20min, no luck. Then I made a baking soda+water paste w/plastic wrap on it over night and I wake up and the whole area under the plastic wrap is darker grey now !!! even though the baking soda was confined to the circle over the oil ring stain!

HELP PLEASE ! What can I do to remove this whole area stain now ? I KEEP MAKING IT WORSE. Now I’m scared to try any other DIY tricks I read on google and so upset at the mess I’ve grown ☹️

Comments (16)

• AJCN
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

That counter looks like marble to me. I had a water stain on my marble, and I just left it alone for a few days and it went away. Then I sealed the marble again. But I don’t know if that would work with oil.

• AJCN
    4 years ago

You can find out if it’s marble by doing the glass test. Take a glass item (like a spice jar) and rub it against an edge of the countertop. If the glass jar just slides around, it’s marble. If the countertop scratches the glass, it’s harder than marble, such as granite or quartzite. I’ve only ever done this test on samples, so be careful where you do it, maybe on the underneath side of the overhang? Or is there an extra piece of countertop material in the garage? If so, do the test on that,

HU-177919586 thanked AJCN
  • GreenDesigns
    4 years ago

It’s marble.

• HU-177919586
    Original Author
    4 years ago

how do I fix it if it is marble ? I can’t believe I’ve ruined marble

• GreenDesigns
    4 years ago

Marble is doing what marble does. You accept it. It might dry out and lighten up. Or it might not. More real world living will only leave more real world patina. So love it, or replace it.

HU-177919586 thanked GreenDesigns
  • PRO
    Debbi Washburn
    4 years ago

That looks like a marble top . The baking soda paste usually helps but it needs to be left for at least a day - 20 minutes really doesn't do anything.

There are many things online about removing a stain.

Once you fix it - don't leave anything on the counter - use trays or decorative coasters

HU-177919586 thanked Debbi Washburn
  • HU-177919586
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Thanks so much everyone ! I‘ve been reading more about marble all day and it did lighten up by the afternoon. I tried to just use my gentle natural dish soap to wipe/wash away any remnants of anything left on it and as soon as the water went back on these spots it looks dark again! Now that it’s dried out it looks like this .....

its much better but still a bit stained. Should I try to get the stain out again ? Worried I might make it worse - can that happen? Anyone had luck with baking soda for longer? I did read it should be for 24 hours but I left the paste on overnight and flipped out when I checked on it this morning and it was so dark plus I read baking soda can be abrasive.

Or should I just seal it and use my metal decorative tray going forward and accept this level of staining.

• Olychick
    4 years ago

Look at the product I linked above to get it all out. Did you look at the youtube video? It took out all the oily stain.

• CindyR
    4 years ago

I would wait quite a while to see if the stain fades. It takes a long time for marble to dry out. I actually had a stain in my quartzite and I had to treat it twice. I then let it sit for about a month and the mark went away.

Don’t put any type of sealer on it until you are sure it’s all dry.

• GreenDesigns
    4 years ago

It’s marble. This is what marble does. If that’s too much work for you, replace it.

• cpartist
    4 years ago

The beauty of marble is that it's a living finish.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    4 years ago

Acetone will dissolve oil; careful, it's quite flammable. It will evaporate too quickly unless it's covered with plastic and taped down too. Give it a shot please.

• Renee
    4 years ago

Why should she just leave a stain if it can be remedied?

• Terra Le Woodrd
    3 years ago

Will acetone take away the shine? I have a ring on my Carera marble countertop from a hand soap bottle

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    3 years ago

Acetone won't affect gloss.