Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
squirrellypete

Manure tea turned bright pink petunia blooms white

squirrellypete
4 years ago

I hope this is the right place to ask about this. I had read many great things about using manure tea (not compost tea). I also read plenty of articles that said it was nonsense and didn't do anything special to make plants grow better. But I like to see things for myself so I made a big batch in a 55 gal trashcan and suspended a burlap sack filled with composted cow manure in water. Most said do it for a few days but we got busy and it remained for about 2 weeks. Finally removed some of the brew and watered that down 4 to 1 as one site suggested. I didn't go crazy and pour it on everything. Just some test plants here and there, a mix of perennials and annuals, most of which are currently not in bloom like my daylilies. It's only been a few days and nothing seems to look harmed foliage-wise, but my bright pink petunias suddenly opened up a mess of blooms but they are a little smaller and all white. I can't find anything on the internet about this. Everything discussing improper fertilization talks about foliage turning either yellow, white or brown but this is specifically the flowers that have changed.
Any ideas? Did I leave it to brew too long or do it wrong? Not watered down enough? Too much of a certain element? Are petunias over-sensitive cry-babies? Does manure tea just suck?

Comments (3)