irina_correa50

Decorating my living room...

Irina

Hello all!.. I need your help. For the past year I have been furnishing and decorating my living room. I like it in general, but I don't love it. I don't know what else to do. I ran out of ideas and it doesn't feel completely right yet. What would you add/remove to make it look better? What do you like and what you don't? What would you change? I don't think I can change the furniture right now, since it's new (but I'll have it in mind for later on). Any advice is really appreciated. I don't mind harsh comments, so you can be completely honest. Thank you!

• mary44

I'm sorry but I think the fireplace is a little too dark. Can you lighten it a little ? Love the new coffee table.

• tartanmeup

I like the contrast with your walls. What colour are your walls, btw? In these pics, they look bright white and in the others, they look off-white. I think this black fireplace will look fine with art on each side. I prefer the rectangular coffee table you had found (on Wayfair?). This one is too delicate for your sofa, imo.

• Irina

@Mary44 It is still wet, it's supposed to be at least two shades lighter (fingers crossed), but still wondering if it will be too dark. I definitely can make it lighter if needed.

• Irina

@Flo Mangan It's not a rental. I own this house and plan to make it my forever home haha. I would love an arched lamp!

• tartanmeup

Judge when it dries. Two shades lighter would be a welcome result. Your house is a rental? I missed that. Are you keeping your chesterfield?

• Irina

@tartanmeup I wanted that coffee table so bad, but it was too big :'(. My walls are painted an off white called Alabaster.

• mary44

HI Irina :) If it lightens two shades it will be fine. I'm sure we are all seeing a different color over the internet than it truly is.

• Irina

That Chesterfield is not going anywhere unfortunately :/... I was wondering if adding a mantel to the fireplace would help?

• tartanmeup

I like your chesterfield. It's a classic and it looks comfortable. Your room wouldn't have an eclectic vibe if that chesterfield were a different sofa. Don't think the fireplace needs a mantel. Thanks for the paint colour info. It's gorgeous.

Here are some eclectic living rooms with chesterfields. I think it's a smashing look.

• Irina

@tartanmeup Thanks for the pictures!! I love them all and wish for my living room to look something similar.

• tartanmeup

everdebz, scroll up, Irina painted her fireplace and shared a couple of pics!

Flo Mangan

I guess you own this home? Why did you paint the brick? You just introduced a 3rd major color that doesn’t relate to anything in the room. Sorry don’t mean to be harsh but I am just surprised at this decision.

• tartanmeup

Flo, a few of us suggested she paint her fireplace charcoal.

• tqtqtbw

I could see your sofa in this arrangement. The wing chairs are off to me. The Queen Anne style and how high they sit. If they were covered in a updated fabric maybe, but I'd prefer something more modern.

Midcentury in Manhattan · More Info

• Yayagal

I haven't read the whole thread but I suggest removing the legs of the blue chairs and use lower ones. That would create more balance.

Flo Mangan

Opps. I missed that. Sorry. Hope it lightens up.

• vandar

Following.

• Irina

The room doesn't feel cold at all. The walls are a creamy off white. Also it gets a good amount of natural light.

Flo Mangan

How did your fireplace wall come out?

• Irina

@Flo Mangan the color ended being darker than advertised (it's not as dark as it look on the pictures though). I'm still deciding if I'm going to keep it. I'm looking now for a chair side table and lamps.

• Irina

@pat1250 what's pnp?

• Irina

I love Kartell Bourgie lamp, but I don't know if it will go well in my living room. What do you guys think?

• Seajay Sparkles

Posting for pictures . . . need to post something in order to see the pictures. Shorthand!

• Claire Larece

Now for some cabinets to place aside the fireplace or shelving

Flo Mangan

I would like with the fireplace for a while and get your art up before you make another decision on fireplace paint color. It might work to balance the dark color of the Chesterfield. I think you can do better than the Bourgie lamp and it looks quite large for your situation. I wonder if some wall mounted sconces for your chairs or a couple slender (RH floor lamps) would keep things minimal and keep the focus on the art in your room.

Sonneman 2844.25 Large LED Wall Lamp, Satin Black · More Info

Something like this

Flo Mangan

Hamptons Floor Lamp · More Info

• Irina

@Flo Mangan I like your lamp suggestions a lot. I'll check if I can get the same of something very similar.

• Irina

Update: I'm still waiting for side tables and working on the artwork for each side of the fireplace. The blue lamp is from another room, but I put it there to have an idea of size.

• Seajay Sparkles

Irina. Everything is really taking shape and looking so much better. Whilst you’re waiting, maybe you could work on the drapes and get them looking awesome. Don’t tell Flo I said that. Haha. I think I’ve been very patient. ;-)).

• everdebz

want to say that with those chairs now -- strong mirror seems good, along with colorful strong art, couple pillows. Great looking.

• Irina

@Seajay Sparkles Will Do and I won't say a word to Flo lol.. They're not really that bad. They are closed most of the time, just opened them real quick to have better lighting for the pictures.

• everdebz

Adding - in photos with different lighting which make chairs more beige, and less sweet blue [nothing against blue]... room looks better [better with beige appearance and dark fp]

• Seajay Sparkles

Oh, my bad. I didn’t realize you opened and closed them. I thought they were stationary.

Flo Mangan

I heard that! haha! Irina - things are really looking lovely. I like all the blues on your sofa, it really helps cool down the chesterfield sofa. I think the "borrowed" lamp is just right and I like the reading floor lamp on the other side. Once you get the drapery hemmed, you might consider a leading edge trim to enhance them a bit more. I like the round mirror on the fireplace wall reflecting the art across the room. With the paintings either side of the fireplace will really help give a finished look. A small thought. I think a cylinder type end table for the spot to the right of the right side of the chair might help ground the room a bit more.

Gold Crackle Ceramic Garden Stool · More Info

Something like this.

• Irina

That's a nice looking stool. I'll have it in mind. I'll wait to have the other things ready and add the finishing touches then. Thank you all for your help. I really like how everything is coming together.

• Ellen Tracy

You were right the first time you moved things around, yes the chairs backs are too high really for the sofa but at least the way you had them here didn’t require the sofa back to be the first thing you see when you walk in the door. Those chairs are not casual so they can be set without a casual angle. Different style chairs should be on your shopping list. And that beautiful oil painting would look so much better than the 80’s? 90’s? mirror over the fireplace. Have you tried it there since you painted? The pillows in the chairs are begging for a bedroom placement.

• Megan Kworthy

seajay sparkles, can you explain the way the drapes should be hung? I'm looking to replace my blinds with drapes and looking for the best way to hang and be able to open and close easily

Flo Mangan

I think you are doing fine.

• Anne Duke

This is the most informative post in a very long time. I’ve been struggling with similar issues.

• Seajay Sparkles

Irina. I see from Flo’s post that you plan to hem the drapes. I missed that. But what I will tell you, and Megan can eavesdrop if she wishes. The best way to make drapery panels move easily is to place them on the rod like in this picture with drapery hooks in rings you can easily slide. The drapery hooks can be put in each tab on the back of the panel or in each pleat, if your drapes are pinch pleated kind. The benefit being you can raise or lower the panel a bit in accordance to where you place the hook to fit perfectly and have the drapes just “kiss” the floor so you’re not constantly rearranging the puddles at the bottom of the panels on the floor. So, the bottom line is if you’re planning to open and close the drapes, make sure they are no longer than just kissing the floor and will hang straight. That’s it. Easy peasy.

Flo Mangan

I will add my 2 cents more. Make sure the rod is where you want it then figure out proper length. Measure each panel because they are most likely all different.

• Irina

I hope this doesn't come out as rude, because I really appreciate your advice and you all taking time to help me. However I don't want to talk about the curtains anymore... I like my curtains the way they are. I made them myself exactly as I wanted them. I like them puddling on the floor. They are hung with hooks like the 1st picture above that @Seajay Sparkles shared. They look disorganized in the pictures because I always opened them real quick for better lighting, but as I said they're closed most of the time, and when they're not I take the time to make sure they look good. I followed all the standards and recommendations from the blogs I read and even trained them for a month before finally opening them. Thank you!

Flo Mangan

That’s fine. No worries. Good on you. Not easy to make drapery.

• Seajay Sparkles

Megan. I hope my input will help you with your drapes.

• Megan Kworthy

seajay sparkles, yes thank you. my only question is.. I would like the drapes pushed all the way to the side so we have as much natural light as possible during the day. should I install the rods with the brackets butted up to the finial and extended beyond the window so they can move all the way to the edge of window? does that make sense?

• Seajay Sparkles

Megan. Do you have a single or double window. As a general rule you can extend the rod and brackets about 6-8” beyond the window edge on both sides so you can push the drapes almost clear of the window when they are pulled open. Depending on the length of the rod and the weight of the drapes, you may need a center bracket in addition to the end brackets. The end brackets will be right next to the finials.

• Irina

@Megan Kworthy this link may help you https://www.thespruce.com/how-to-hang-drapes-2213455

• Megan Kworthy

thank you seajay sparkles and Irina and beautiful home Irina, you are doing a fabulous job