1nonlyj

New round of art show photo voting ...

IdaClaire
last modified: August 7, 2019

Bbstx was very kind to share info on an online photo contest: AFAR Travel Photography ... It's a mere $10 to enter three photos, and I'm going to do this, because what do I have to lose (aside from the obvious $10)! In viewing last year's winners, there seems to be more of a human interest/storytelling aspect to the travel photos than mere pretty landscapes, so I'm ruling out a couple of my favorite Iceland shots and have selected the ones below. Think movement, emotion; what's most evocative. Would you help me narrow down my choices by selecting your favorite(s) from this group? Select up to 3.

(And thanks for your forebearance. I decided to pull this from the bottom of my old thread re the finished photos I've entered in my workplace art contest, and start a new thread.)

1. "New York Minute". (I think this one is a given, per feedback in other threads.)

2. "Daughter of Panama"

3. "Squirt Gun War: Little Guy vs. The Doc - El Guabal, Panama"

4. "Happy Schoolgirl - El Guabal, Panama"

5. "Best Friends - El Guabal, Panama"

6. "Her Sister's Keeper - El Guabal, Panama"

7. "Otherworldly" - Bradford on Avon

• msmeow

I love all your photos! Good luck with the contest!

Donna

IdaClaire thanked msmeow
  • whatsayyou18

Happy Schoolgirl and New York Minute. For NYM, I would probably crop out the person's arm and bag on the right. And with HS, I'd crop out some of the bottom of the pic so that her face is more the focus.

IdaClaire thanked whatsayyou18

Art or no Art?

What is great about the art I specified was that it changes colors depending on the angle you are viewing it. The artist uses mother of pearl in her paintings which creates a reflective quality that can change yellow, blue, red and other hues that are picked up in the space. The beauty of art.

Advice for custom Art Work over sofa before the order is placed.

My vote is no for over the bed.....if you want a more MC bedroom I think less is more....clean walls and simple accessories....I think your bedding is nice but if you want a more clean MC style I think you might have to many pillows...maybe see what you think with a few removed. Love the large piece of art over your sofa...my vote is classic black and white.....when decorating every room should have a touch of black IMO.....I don't remember all the teal in the space is that all new? Very pretty more reason to add black and white....very crisp and clean.

Replace art work with what???

I don't think you need to balance in the sense of number or absolute scale of items. You just need not to compete (which, to my eye, was the problem here with the double gallery wall). I'd do a single large piece over the couch -- it could be Asian or it could just be sort of abstract/neutral in theme, but it should be scaled to the couch and the wall. If you don't already own the right thing, you could start at someplace like GreatBigCanvas.com, where you can at least get a place-holder until the Perfect Thing presents itself...

2D Art and 3D Art....why not?

I will give my considered opinion on this point which is at odds with many pros on this site. Very few artists can make a living selling originals. That's why they call them starving artists. But lots of artists sell their prints and canvas giclees on sites like gallerydirect.com and greatbigcanvas.com so someone who wouldn't pay or couldn't afford thousands of dollars for an original can get a reasonable facsimile cheap and the artist can sell the same image over and over again. To me, it's a win-win. Look at it this way: if it weren't profitable for the artists, they wouldn't be selling their images this way.
  • maddielee

Although we know water guns are fun, and I enjoy a good water fight, the squirt gun war photo might not be a good choice right now. It’s a nice photo but maybe save it for next year? Just my opinion, of course.

IdaClaire thanked maddielee
  • roarah

I like the best friends and the otherworldly best. Both have a " sadness" mixed with symbols of love and this juxtaposition is so beautiful in both photos.

IdaClaire thanked roarah
  • IdaClaire

Maddielee, excellent point and one that momentarily crossed my mind as well. Probably a good idea to remove that one from the running at this juncture.

• IdaClaire

Perhaps I should change the name of "Otherworldly" to "Love's Longing" ... ?

• roarah

Although I am a sucker for alliteration, I think there is a ghostly feeling more than a miss haversham feeling to your photo so I think "otherworldly" is perfect.

IdaClaire thanked roarah
  • IdaClaire

Yeah ... and maybe the really old building in the reflection calls to mind "another world" as well. Point taken.

• IdaClaire

(Although that building is the Pie & Cider House -- yes, please -- so not sure how scary it really is. ;-))

• bpath Oh Sophie

The squirt gun show down is sweet, but...well, our county film festival is coming up, and because the logo for one of the films is a colorful toy squirt gun, Facebook keeps banning the film festival page altogether.

IdaClaire thanked bpath Oh Sophie
  • IdaClaire

I must say, I don't find the fact that FB
    banned that to be objectionable. I'm actually surprised at myself for sharing that photo here, and have removed it.

• IdaClaire

Well, no I haven't removed it, because when I try to edit my original post to do so a message pops up indicating PAGE NOT FOUND. WTF, Houzz ... WTF.

• roarah

I thought about the past weekend when I viewed the picture but that playful, innocent, loving exchange between the subjects should not be tainted by the violent mass murders that are so prevalent here but not there! Water gun fights in an area with high heat and few luxuries, including expensive toys, should be a thing of beauty not spoiled by American mass murderers with too much money and access to dangerous weapons. Children using toys the way they were designed to be used is not the cause of our issues. Guns being as easy to obtain as squirt guns is the only issue.

• lascatx

I would do 1, 2 and 7 -- covers a wide range. I also felt the squirt gun photo, cute and it is, would not be a good choice -- whether it came across as insensitive or judges would hesitate to recognize it.

We've talked about the cropping of the NYC scene already and I agree with where you have it. The Daughter of Panama tells me a story of another place more than the other children -- there is so much in her eyes.

The wedding gown -- I see the modern elegance and clearly older European building in the reflection more a statement of something enduring. It's storybook setting meets modern elegance. I'm searching for another name, but other than that, I really like the photo.

IdaClaire thanked lascatx
  • Yayagal

Her Sister's keeper is the one that moved me the most. No posing, no need for glamour etc., it's just pure and touching from the marks on the older girls face and her very serious eyes that seem to be wondering and then there is the limp and trusting child. So beautiful and meaningful.

IdaClaire thanked Yayagal
  • bpath Oh Sophie

Ida, it wasn‘t just the photo or the one film that FB banned, it was the entire page of the film festival, which will be showing indie films of all kinds. The festival is having quite a time getting itself back on FB. As you might imagine, social media is important for advertising indie films and the small festivals that show them. I mentioned it to you only because I don’t know whether the photo would taint, or alternately lift up, your entries as a whole.

IdaClaire thanked bpath Oh Sophie
  • bpath Oh Sophie

I love ”Otherwordly”, especially the not-so-subtle “Award Winning” at the bottom of the window! That’s a very cool photo.

My favorites are 1, 4, 5, 7. The colors in 4 and 5, and the cropping, are really good. I‘d rank 3 (I’m calling it Showdown) higher if the kids at the back weren’t bunched up, they lose some “movement” that way.

IdaClaire thanked bpath Oh Sophie
  • OutsidePlaying

1, 2, and 5, but I also love 6.

IdaClaire thanked OutsidePlaying
  • Feathers11

1 for sure. I saw it in the other thread--it's such an excellent photo.

While I like the playfulness of #3, I had the same thoughts as Maddielee.

I find #2 and #4 have the most... context?... I'm not sure of the word I'm looking for, but I like them best. They're all so wonderful, though, IdaClaire!

IdaClaire thanked Feathers11
  • eld6161

1,5,7.

IdaClaire thanked eld6161
  • woodrose

1, 2, & 6

IdaClaire thanked woodrose
  • LynnNM

New York Minute!!!!!

IdaClaire thanked LynnNM
  • justerrilynn

1, 2 & 7 for me.

Edited: has #2 had any color adjustments? I ask because the little girls eyes definitely look jaundiced. However, she was at a clinic so ...

Anyway, I do really love that photo as is but think I would play with it a bit .

IdaClaire thanked justerrilynn
  • jojoco

1,2 &5. But I would not title #5 "Best Friends". Let the viewer decide what they are seeing. The question of the relationship is interesting and wide open. Do you know their names? That could be the title, ie, Paul and Owen. Or, you could simply call it "Childhood" which conjures up so many interpretations.

IdaClaire thanked jojoco
  • mtnrdredux_gw

I wouldn't title any of them if you don't have to. Thanks for posting them, they are great!

IdaClaire thanked mtnrdredux_gw
  • IdaClaire

Thank you all so much! I will make the final selections and submit them in a day or two. You've raised good points and I appreciate the votes!

JT, good eye re the girl's color being off. This is the original photo (hanging in our library) which has the proper tones. Unfortunately I think I deleted the picture that I had the enlargement made from, so will have to edit it all over again.

• lizbeth-gardener

Great Photos! I love them all!

IdaClaire thanked lizbeth-gardener
  • justerrilynn

This little girl is just too precious for words!!!!

————————————-

Taking a bit of the yellow out with a tic of blush.

A)

B)

C)

Ok, look at a few and get hypnotized by those eyes lol. I think I like “C” best because it looks more natural. I’m just guessing though as I don’t know her true skin tone.

ETA: More blush shade? Also, someone mentioned the “arm” in the wedding shot. I manipulated the arm into a person but think it’s not allowed?

IdaClaire thanked justerrilynn
  • lascatx

I don't know the girl's skin tone either, but I would be careful not to overcorrect. There is something both delicate and innocent and at the same time a little rough or weathered in her appearance, especially her fingers. That is part of what tells the story and it is taken away as you color correct, so find the right balance. It's in the photo hanging on your wall -- so go for that again.

IdaClaire thanked lascatx
  • IdaClaire

Yep, the skin tone in the original was spot on. The Ngobe Bugle are a dark skinned people with an underlying redness to many complexions. They're gorgeous human beings. :) And of course life in the jungle has a way of toughening up that skin even at an early age.

• lascatx

And that's part of the story -- It's part of why she grabs your heart and part of why that photo doesn't look like it could have been taken across town somewhere. I love seeing it on your wall.

IdaClaire thanked lascatx
  • localeater

Good luck in the competition Ida, I always enjoy your photo posts and seeing your beautiful pictures. Since not many commented on "Happy Schoolgirl" I wanted to let you know how much it moved me. Her beaming face is so full of pride, hope, security that it just warmed my soul. Thank you for sharing.

IdaClaire thanked localeater
  • cran

Loved them all. Found myself studying the New York Minute, so much to look at! The buildings, the traffic, the shoes and of course the bride. Good Luck !

IdaClaire thanked cran
  • bbstx

I thought the Panamanian girl was a tad too yellow, too. But I agree with lascatx about not over-correcting the color. Mostly, I just came to say, if it‘s 3/$10, enter 6 (omit water gun fight). It is too hard to choose 3!

I think the water gun fight is adorable, but in today’s climate, I think you’d be wasting a slot to submit it.

IdaClaire thanked bbstx
  • nutsaboutplants

the Panamanian child melts my heart! Jen, you are a very talented photographer.

IdaClaire thanked nutsaboutplants
  • IdaClaire

I've just submitted my entries to the AFAR website. I went with "A New York Minute", "Daughter of Panama", and "Otherworldly" as my three-for-$10 submissions, and as I could also submit additional pics for $10 each, I sent in "Best Friends" (the boys), "Full of Promise" (the schoolgirl), and "Her Sister's Keeper." I was required to give each a title and say a bit about each photo. That was the hard part! Anyway, I had fun pulling all this together and would certainly love to win something, but if not that's ok too. Thanks again for all of the encouragement and helpfulness y'all have given me. I appreciate it greatly!

• IdaClaire

Oh, and I edited "Daughter of Panama" thusly, taking out a lot of the yellow tones:

• bbstx

Perfect! I can’t wait to hear how this turns out.

You might want to check out AccidentallyWesAnderson on IG. Some of the photos are very interesting for their symmetry and colors.

IdaClaire thanked bbstx