Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
unclehippie

Need Help Planting a Tree Sapling

unclehippie
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Hi all,

I recently purchased a five foot tall Sycamore tree sapling from a local nursery in a gallon container. I removed it from the container and unbound/teased its roots with a hand rake so they won't stay girdled in a circle (due to growing in the container).

I am getting ready to plant the tree and was wondering if someone could help me as the trunk has a bend in it? It's really not so much a bend as it is that the top of the tree is growing at a different angle than the base of the tree near its root collar. I suspect it grew like this at the nursery in order to reach the most sunlight.

I wonder if I should plant the tree sapling so that its root collar is at soil level with its trunk pointing straight up from the ground? This would cause the rest of the tree to be at somewhat of a 70 degree diagonal. Or, to account for the bend should I angle the trunk at its base so that although somewhat crooked at the bottom, the top part of the tree and main leader are positioned straight as a pole from the ground?

Thank you!

Comments (5)