Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jmwalsh85

off centered fireplace, wall with no windows need furniture advice!

Julie Schmooley
4 years ago

Hey everyone! I am nowhere near the completed project, but like many of you remodelers know, it’s still hard to turn off the brain from thinking overdrive! We’re renovating a Dutch colonial bank house. The fireplace is on the far left of the room, with a new foundation wall. And I’m so stressed wondering how to do furniture!!
Would two love seats facing each other in front of
the fireplace work? (There would be no room to walk behind the one on the left) ... this room is very
narrow.
Is it okay to put furniture against a wall if you don’t have to walk behind it?
Or a love seat facing the fireplace head on with coffee table and two accent chairs on the right? And two opposite?
The closet next to the fireplace I plan to renovate to be a bar, with lighting and crystal glasses and kind of it’s own statement piece so I need access to it.
Sending photos of the room( mid renovation). Lots of windows on opposite wall.

Thanks!!!

Comments (33)

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    4 years ago

I have a few questions, what are the dimensions of the room and what will it mostly be used for.

also are the maid quarter stairs (i assume this is what those are) and does this mean that the room is off the kitchen? I think 4 club chairs in the center of the room would be great with the bar and fireplace setting the stage but maybe not trying to force the focal point since its hard to line up any one thing in front of it.

• Julie Schmooley
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Rl thanks for the advice! So these stairs are called winders, popular on the east coast old 1800 houses. They wrap around that huge fireplace. Then on the next level they wrap around again to the attic!

This sitting room is right off the kitchen! And has lovely views of the backyard. I don’t have the dimensions at the moment but I measured the width from the inside of the bar to the left wall and I have about 77” if I did a sofa.

I LOVE YOUR IDEA about four chairs! I’m going to try and add here a picture looking from the fireplace back towards the kitchen. You’ll see an archway that leads to kitchen. The white wall to the right of the arachway I’m doing books and records in cabinets and in front of that I’m putting my mothers kitchen table it’s a leaf table and can fold up relatively small but then can be added on for dinner. The room is quite long so I feel confident it could work! It’s just awkward spacing! I picture this room being where everyone hangs if they come over for a chat or a drink.

Thanks for the help and any chairs you see you like I’m open to suggestions!

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    4 years ago

Im in love ! that is some awesome stone work, I think that might be the ticket with a chat, bar, hang out area. Those beams are also pretty amazing! cant wait for progress pictures!

• Julie Schmooley
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks so much! It’s been quite an adventure we love it. Didn’t even know the stone was there it was covered in wood paneling! Then we discovered it and I decided I wanted big windows we have awesome masons who have hand done all this work including the archway and the bottom of the fireplace! We’re definitely exposing the beams too! I’ll keep you posted! Feel free to follow me on IG if you have it I track a lot there @themagpiefarm
    Thanks for the advice!

• Olychick
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

What an amazing project and home you have! It's really going to be wonderful. I'll bet those stone masons are thrilled to be able to restore all that stone work. Thank goodness you purchased the house and not someone wanting to destroy it all. I hope you will post progress photos here, too.

RL's idea of chairs instead of a sofa is great. I saw this and thought of your room:

Circular seating

• iheartsix
    4 years ago

Please post pics of progress. This is an amazing space!!!! :)

• Julie Schmooley
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks everyone!! I most certainly will! Should I continue them on this thread? I’m not the most experienced houzz user haha! Should have windows in there starting Wednesday! Here’s a view of the front stoop we had rebuilt and we snagged the door from Facebook marketplace for 100! Since it had to be custom to fit, I decided to go antique and give an old
    Door a second life! We’ll be restoring it so the wood will look nicer, it’s just getting adjusted to fit right now!

• Olychick
    4 years ago

yes, post on this thread, so it will all be together from start to finish. Beautiful door!

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    4 years ago

That door is pretty cool! I checked out your instagram last night, very cool space!

• Julie Schmooley
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks RL! It’s coming along! :)

• Julie Schmooley
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Hey everyone! Here’s the room cleaned up a bit and the windows went in!! Also going to show you a before and after exterior shot and interior shot!

• Julie Schmooley
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Windows in! Ground floor are black rest of house is white windows. The plaster will be white so I think the black windows will pop and the upstairs portion of the house will be gray siding

• Sister Sunnie
    4 years ago

following

• Olychick
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Oh, my goodness, is that gorgeous! Thanks for posting progress pictures.

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    4 years ago

*clapping! looks fantastic

• Julie Schmooley
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><md>Thanks everyone! Hard to get a good wide angle shot (maybe that’s a good excuse to get the new iPhone )
  • Julie Schmooley
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I guess emojis don’t work on here hahaha

• jlsch
    4 years ago

Love your home and progress! How old was the original structure? Everything looks great!

• Julie Schmooley
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you so Much! We’ve heard conflicting reports, some 1810 and another 1850... my contractor thinks it could be even older but no clue! The add on on the left (when looking from back side of the house was done in the 1940s!

• Julie Schmooley
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Hi everyone! We have all our doors now!! :

• I got an old Dutch door again for 100 bucks on Facebook marketplace and had my contractor make it fit (this will be refinished eventually)
    • we got a solid clear panel door in the stone room to match the windows (it’s white at the moment but will be painted black to match)
    • we also have a floor!! :)

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    4 years ago

So very charming! Thanks for the update!

• maddielee
    4 years ago

A wonderful room! 👏 And we have emojis!

• natesg
    4 years ago

Loving the Dutch door!

• Julie Schmooley
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks all!! And yay for emojis! 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻 I’ll continue to post when there’s more updates still a long way to go but so pleased with this room! I’m hoping the dark stain on the beams can come off and show a more natural wood, then get the stairs to match :)

• Julie Schmooley
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hey everyone! It’s been a while since I posted updates and to be honest there isn’t too much to report at the moment! Trying to figure out where to put ducts for central air. I’m attaching some photos I thought you might like :) the first is what the beams look like inside the walls and what I’m hoping the ones exposed will look like when they stain is rubbed out. The second pic is the original flooring upstairs (dusty from construction). It’s called pumpkin pine flooring and that’s the flooring I want to put on the ground level kitchen and sitting room. Then a picture from the notching looking at the stone room, and vice versa! Hope everyone is healthy and safe ❤️

• Julie Schmooley
    Original Author
    3 years ago

For some reason kitchen got autocorrected to notching lol

• PeaceOfHome
    3 years ago

So charming. Love what you're doing.

• Laura Hill
    3 years ago

Beautiful! Excited to see the progress!

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    3 years ago

love everything about it!

• Julie Schmooley
    Original Author
    last year

Here is the room finished! Hope everyone had a nice holiday weekend!

• eld6161
    last year

Fabulous. Nice of you to come back with the update.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    last year

Julie-you must be so excited! Well done! Love the staircase, well love everything! I know it’s been a labor of love and you guys did an amazing job!!

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio