Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kate2carey

Natural light revealed! Ideas to redo wall/door to let light through?

kate2carey
4 years ago

Photo #1: Guest sunroom/den/bathroom, yes! New 32" doorway/entrance going in on left, shower, toilet, tiny sink on right inside wall. (See entire living room wall in photo below.)

Expanding this sunny room in Tudor/Arts & Crafts home, I am installing a tiny (to code) bathroom w/ADA access and a shower/toilet in the right corner. Someday I will need it for myself, however, right now I mostly need a bathroom on this level for visitors. Doorway w/antique sliding door was in the middle, now will be on the left. Yes, dimensions are right on to pull this off!

With wall just removed, Suddenly light is streaming into my living room, big time! Now I am wild about finding a way to allow as much of that light to come through vs. closing the room totally off again. Hence, wonder if partial glass/windows/doors could replace right-hand wall.

Please keep at least 2 things in mind: 1) Room will nearly double in size when I remove back wall and extend space; 2) Major closed-in privacy is not my goal as much as ultimately making this space more with a den-feeling than just a bedroom. I want visitors to be able to come into or through this room to the large deck in back down the road, AND the essential additional bathroom is why I simply took down part of the wall. The reveal brought an additional concept into my wall redesign: Let the light shine through!

Might the shower and toilet (to immediate right side of room have 3/4 walls w/ leaded glass, or at least a transom? Curtains?...or another kind of treated glass/window? I also see opportunity to redo that whole wall so that the openings (to dining and den) feel balanced.

Yes, I am that person who does not have to have a perfectly drawn up plan before I begin a project! ...and yes, ultimately I DO get them in sync with original character. Thanks in advance for design ideas!

*Photo #2: Panorama of view taken from front of golden oak fireplace and bookcase to dining and current guest bedroom.

Comments (2)