ann_constantino

New French Door installed---caulking question???

Ann Constantino

I had 2 new French Door installed. I think the carpenter may have cut too much of my siding and now is trying to fill in the space with caulking. Can you take a look at the attached pictures and give me some advice? One door has just a thin line of caulking but the other door is really worrying me. Please help!

• Ann Constantino

The doors look like this.

• ultrawin

Looks like they used spray foam (which is a good thing) and it wasn’t fully set before they caulked. As it continues to expand it can make the caulking bubble outward.

Ask them to come back out and clean it up a bit. Not a big deal at all.

Ann Constantino thanked ultrawin
    Joseph Corlett, LLC

This guy is a hack; don't pay him please. The doors may have to be reinstalled.

Ann Constantino thanked Joseph Corlett, LLC
  • Ann Constantino

Joseph Corlett--any suggestions on how to approach this carpenter. He came highly recommended. He put in a window that is fine. However, I think he cut too much off my siding and that's why there is so much caulking. Perhaps he is trying to cover up the mistake???? The new door is a bit bigger than the original.

Joseph Corlett, LLC

"Perhaps he is trying to cover up the mistake????"

Absolutely. Show him your picture and tell him I said he's done hack work please. The casing must cover the jambs; when it doesn't, install larger casing.

toddinmn

The siding looks fine from the pics, it could be spray foam but the casing should stoooed it if it was fitting tight against the frame. I think the best way to approach the is to explain you’re concerns And ask them to come back. Without seeing the job more closely I would restrain from calling them a hack, Problems come up time to time and sometimes it is a matter how they address them. I think it would make sense to contact them first before posting, and then if you have a problem with the solution or they don’t fix it or fix it poorly then ask .

Ann Constantino thanked toddinmn
  • Ann Constantino

Thanks for the advice. The carpenter is still working in my home. He is a very nice person . I just got really nervous when I saw the large amount of caulking. I've had issues with caulking in the past--doesn't last long. I hate questioning some one's work. My husband will discuss with him when he sees him. I'm hoping he has a solution. I was posting to get some ideas as to what type of fixes there could be. For example, replace that siding so that the trim can be put closer to the side of the door. Again, thanks so much.

toddinmn

I would make the casing wider before replacing the trim, it is hard to see from the pics though. The caulking joint should be tighter/ smaller though. Doors can be a little trickier than windows in getting them plumb and getting all the reveals correct. .

Ann Constantino thanked toddinmn
  • branson4020

As Joseph Corlett said, casing should cover the jambs. Recasing that door is an easy and inexpensive fix.. Just do it.

Ann Constantino thanked branson4020
  • Windowmaster

Also, the pic is a close up and that in itself exaggerates the issue. It may not be as bad as it seems. I would see if he could possible use a slightly wider moulding. I would not attack the guy and call him a hack especially since he is a good person and a good worker. Espress your concern and see what he says,. its an easy fix.

Ann Constantino thanked Windowmaster
    Joseph Corlett, LLC

Unless they've been Photoshopped, these are pictures of hack work. This hack may be the nicest guy on the planet and the hardest worker. That doesn't make him less of a hack.

• SaltiDawg

oh forchrissake. Talk to the Carpenter and see what he says - then shoot him or crucify him as you and JC have seemingly already made up your mind!

Sheesh!

Windows on Washington Ltd

The picture posted indicates the use of spray foam that was not allowed to fully cure or of some bad caulking (either application or in the tube). Both are easy fixes and to call someone a "hack" because of this without the rest of the details or measurements on the doors is a bit of a stretch in my opinion. That said, being on the internet makes you an automatic expert.

See what he says and everything that I see in the pictures with regards to the sealant is easy enough to fix.

Ann Constantino thanked Windows on Washington Ltd
    Joseph Corlett, LLC

No, WOW, there are no other details or measurements necessary when a picture is worth a thousand words. I've hung a few doors in my day and I've never left a gap that should have been covered by casing filled with exposed silicone.

Hack. Hack. Hack. Say it with me, please.

Windows on Washington Ltd

So...you know what the reveal is like on the other door? You know if they used a standard sized door vs. a custom? You know if the opening sizes are different? You know if they used a door that wasn't available in a larger size?

You must have a mighty powerful crystal ball to see all of that via that picture.

The caulking job is "less than ideal" and is not something that I would leave, but to call the guy a "hack" because of that without any backstory is foolish in my opinion in a world where folks routinely rush to judgement on someone because of an incomplete story.

Joseph Corlett, LLC

"So...you know what the reveal is like on the other door? You know if they used a standard sized door vs. a custom? You know if the opening sizes are different? You know if they used a door that wasn't available in a larger size?"

I can't see the car in their garage either, and that's as relevant as your questions.

Windows on Washington Ltd

Like I said...everyone is an expert on the internet.

• fridge2020

Joseph Corlett, terrible take my friend. Irresponsible, pompous, crap advice. Could this guy and this job be a hack? Yes. Are 1001 more facts needed to determine that? Affirmative. You sound like a guy that got beat up by the other kids in wood shop so now you are getting your revenge by sitting at a computer all day and criticizing work. Out of line sir.

Who calls brickmold “casing” anyway?

@Ann, as I said above, it’s hard to say if this is a red flag or not. I’ll try not to overcompensate for the foolishness stated above by saying that it’s not a problem, it could be. OR, there could be a legitimate reason for the door to be set in that spot. You mentioned that he cut the siding back for the brickmold, maybe some of that was in rough shape. Maybe the old door was set off center and your existing interior finishes required it to be set in the same spot to look decent. There are a host of other reasons for it as well. The caulk could be better, and it does appear that some foam continued to expand after the fact causing the bulges. It sounds like you have a good, respectful relationship with this carpenter so tell him your concerns, have a dialog. That’s what normal people do as opposed to rushing to judgement.

• SaltiDawg

" I can't see the car in their garage either, and that's as relevant as your questions."

Absolutely moronic!

Joseph Corlett, LLC

SaltiDawg: How so, please?

HomeSealed Exteriors, LLC

Ann, have you spoken to the carpenter about this yet? If not, I'd strongly agree with the sentiment to approach him with your concerns, but in an appropriate manner. There is some attention needed on this, but what's shown is pretty minimal and mostly aesthetic in the overall scope of the installation. There could be other problems as mentioned above, but there is not enough known to judge the overall quality of the installation, and most certainly not of the skill or intention of the installer.