Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
melissa_brosskolasa

Help with Island Design

Melissa K.
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

We are working with a builder and we are in the process of finalizing our floorplan. Our kitchen only allows for a 7' x 2' island with no overhang. The island will face the great room. I hate the idea of looking at the kitchen from the great room and seeing the back of the island. It will not have any panels so it will be a flat back. I am considering the idea of having the cabinets on the back side of the island rather than the side facing the remainder of the kitchen. The island will not have a sink and the cabinets will mainly be used for storing items we don't use everyday. Does anyone have any opinions on this? I have not seen. Will it look stupid? Thanks!

Comments (20)

• cpartist
    4 years ago

Post your floor plan! We can't guess from a description.

What it sounds like is that an island may not be the best option.

Melissa K. thanked cpartist
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    4 years ago

why can't the island have trim work on the panels??

imagine all of these without the overhang. just look at the trim work on the back panel

you could also try something like this

• Melissa K.
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Trim work will not work for us. We did get a price to have the builder do it but it is outside of our budget. We are trying very hard to stay on budget so I'm trying to get creative and other ways. Here is the floor plan. I do feel that there is room for the island. We do not intend to use it as an eat up bar but rather extra work space and for entertaining.

• GreenDesigns
    4 years ago

Builders are not kitchen designers. That’s a terrible layout. You need an entirely different kitchen design. With a peninsula. And the sink and range on that portion. And the fridge moved across the aisle.

Melissa K. thanked GreenDesigns
  • Melissa K.
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I did not want a peninsula. I wanted an island. This is actually the layout I have in my current house less the pantry and we like it. I guess to each their own.

• GreenDesigns
    4 years ago

Kids want candy and soda pop for every meal too. Adults know that’s bad for their heath.

That kitchen has poor flow, and the island blocks your path, with too small aisles. It violates a lot of the 31 Rules. Design isn't subjective.

http://starcraftcustombuilders.com/kitchen.design.rules.htm

• Buehl
    4 years ago

That is a terrible layout.

Aisles are too narrow, workflow is not being followed, refrigerator won't open fully, etc.

I know you don't want to hear it, but you really need to redesign it

We can help, if you're willing.

FAQ: How Do I Ask For Layout Help & What Information Should I Include?

https://www.gardenweb.com/discussions/5500789/faq-how-do-i-ask-for-layout-help-what-information-should-i-include

• Melissa K.
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I am hear loud and clear that the layout is bad. Does anyone have any better suggestions. I cannot change the square footage of the kitchen but could move things around within it.

• st5330
    4 years ago

she didnt ask for help with layout. not every kitchen needs to be the same. this will give them more workspace and without it theres hardly any. They have plenty of room to entertain outside the kitchen.

i think u can put cabinets on whatever side u want. there must be something that can be done without trim to spice up the side, but it probably wouldnt be necessary!

• Buehl
    4 years ago

Kitchen Design Best Practice/Guidelines FAQ Threads:

FAQ: Kitchen Work Zones, What Are They?

FAQ: Aisle Widths, Walkways, Seating Overhangs, Work/Landing Space etc

FAQ: How Do I Plan For Storage?

• Robbin Capers
    4 years ago

I'm doing an island with those dimensions (with an overhang at the end just for chatting with the cook or having coffee), but really wanted a peninsula and couldn't make it work. Why are you against the idea? It would work well for that space. Could put the sink there and move other things around. Sink and stove are so far apart!

For your initial question, I'd either diy trim to complement the cabinets or wallpaper it.

Melissa K. thanked Robbin Capers
  • cpartist
    4 years ago

The reason it won't work with the island is because the aisles will be 39" each which is too small. Plus a 2' deep island cutting the workflow is just very poor design

Melissa K. thanked cpartist
  • Melissa K.
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I have modified my floor plan. Those that felt the original plan was bad, how does this look?

• junco East Georgia zone 8a
    4 years ago

This is better but still not the best.

What do you plan to put in the nook?

• Melissa K.
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I plan to put the eat in kitchen table there.

• Melissa K.
    Original Author
    4 years ago

The L shaped portion will have glass door uppers and will be more of a buffet area for china and holiday serving ware. The space between the sink and stove is 42" and I will use that as my prep space.

• junco East Georgia zone 8a
    4 years ago

This is still awkward and by the time you account for countertops your aisle width is very tight. Since you rearranged things, it looks like you have room to move the island further away from the sink/stove wall.

• Melissa K.
    Original Author
    4 years ago

How much more should there be? I thought this amount was within the standard range.

• PRO
    User
    4 years ago

Good job on getting rid of that angled corner pantry! It wasn’t pulling its weight and was far too bulky. Unfortunaty, squarung it off didn’t gain you any storage at all. You actually have less storage than you would with a cabinet pantry, and lots of wasted traffic path space. I would square off that office space and relocate the pantry entirely as a step in or cabinet pantry against the powder room wall. You get more storage with a step in or cabinet pantry per square foot than a walk in. You can do the fridge beside it and have a “wall of tall”.

Can the window move? Regardless, I would turn the island to create a peninsula with the sink on it. The L portion could then extend further down the wall. You would get a much more storage, better traffic flow, more room between work stations, and an overall much better kitchen.

“Wall of Tall” with adjacent storage space and serving area.

Gorgeous in Germantown · More Info

Gorgeous in Germantown · More Info