Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
coloradosherry

Living Room Furniture Advice with 6' Grand Piano

coloradosherry
4 years ago

We've been undergoing a 4-year remodeling project. Finally have go ahead to replace this very traditional style, dark furniture in living room 20' 9" x 22' 3". The 6' long piano is on the 22' 3" wall situated in front of windows and between front door and doorway to master suite. Piano is nearly 6' wide causing it to encroach the center of the room, preventing furniture arrangement centering around fireplace. I would really like to treat this as a pseudo music / cocktail / living lounge using non-swivel chairs. Do not want furniture to hide 60" x 60" painting on wall opposite piano. Also thinking that this should be more modern style furnishings - definitely not traditional. There is an extra-wide doorway on the fireplace wall that is an entrance to guest suite. How would you suggest placing furniture? What pieces should I use and how many? Where to purchase most comfortable seating with a modern style? What about rugs, lamps, etc? I have been debating this for about a year now and realize that I need lots of advice! Thank you so much!

Comments (11)

• ilikefriday
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I have a baby grand piano that is in a living room that is too small for the piano. I have a chaise and a sofa for seating and an chair at the piano that is sometimes used for extra seating. My piano is situated in a corner with the keys towards the corner of the room. I have a very large painting behind the piano. The sofa and chaise are facing each other. Perhaps you can try a similar arrangement.

Can you post photos showing all the walls in the room? Floor to ceiling.

• groveraxle
    4 years ago

Your current arrangement looks fine except that the piano probably should not be on the window wall. If you keep it there, I would give it a 90° clockwise turn so the pianist is facing more toward the seating group.

If you're looking for more modern style seating that's of decent quality, check out Crate & Barrel.

Sale: Sofas, Couches and Loveseats | Crate and Barrel · More Info

https://www.crateandbarrel.com/furniture/sofas/1/filters/sofas~00

• coloradosherry
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you! I agree with you re the window. We tried it on opposite wall, but it blocked entry to guest suite. At least covered porch entry keeps sunlight away from piano and vent nearby keeps temperature and humidity regulated. Have it angled wrong, but cannot find another way. If we turn it, then the lid would open into the window instead of into the room. Six, yes 6, doors leading off of this room with 3 of them being open (without doors). Here is a before photo of same space piano is sitting now (note the step-up and low ceiling).

• groveraxle
    4 years ago

A quarter turn clockwise would not have the piano open into the window. It would still open into the room.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    4 years ago

That is the worst place for the piano and it is best when the player faces the room maybe post a scale drawing of the space and is that an entry door beside the window maybe trade places with the furniture for the piano but I am finding it hard to get a feel for the space. I think the problem is there are too many focal points in this space so a floor plan is IMO a must. Also what is your aversion to swivel chairs they are often the perfect answer to different focal points in a space.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    4 years ago

Maybe went to work but honestly I need a floor plan

• coloradosherry
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Agree - placement is bad for piano. Attached is floor plan. Thank you so much for your advice!

• groveraxle
    4 years ago

Your basic plan, to scale (or close enough for government work):

• groveraxle
    4 years ago

Current arrangement (except with piano given 1/4 turn):

Possible arrangements:

• wilson853
    4 years ago

I recently went through this when we did a first floor remodel. I moved my 5'10" grand across our foyer to a smaller room and was not happy with the placement in the room. A few weeks ago I borrowed a floor template from a local piano store and used it to make my own template out of poster board. I then moved all of the furniture out of the room and moved the template around the room. The piano should not be near windows or heat vents as that will adversely affect the soundboard and finish. It is strongly suggested that the straight side of the piano be against a wall with the lid opening into the room or at a 45 degree angle to a corner. Using the template was the only way that I was able to determine the correct placement and how it would work with the furniture. It took a couple of weeks before I decided and then called the piano movers back to get it into place. Unless you have helpers and experience moving the piano, I suggest that you get a professional to do this so that you do not damage the legs. It looks like your buffet wall may work for the piano with a simplified arrangement of chairs around a coffee table or two sofas or loveseats flanking the fireplace.

Tupper Lake Residence · More Info

Sustainability Meets Design · More Info

• coloradosherry
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Excellent ideas! Thank you! The floor plan is to scale using 1" increments. We began with the piano on the wall where the painting currently exists, with pianist facing into the room and the straight side near the wall, it blocked the way into the guest suite. Is it OK to place such a large piece between the front door entryway and the open entry into the family living area (no foyer or distinctive hallway)? With the bench and piano at an angle, it would come into the middle of the room by about 80" causing anyone to walk around the piano to enter family living area. I really like the grouping of 4 chairs around a table or round ottoman to accomplish the relaxed cocktail, music feel. We learned a valuable lesson about the care of a grand piano when we moved one from the humid deep south to dry, arid Colorado. The sound board cracked! During remodel, we had our contractor build a heavy duty plywood box to fit over the piano, then hired piano movers to move it for us two different times in the same room and tune it each time. This is my husband's pride and joy as an accomplished pianist. Thanks so much!