Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ichele35

Exterior struggles ** please help**

ichele35
4 years ago

Our contractor only provides a black and white sketch of the exterior of our new construction. Can’t decide between the farmhouse or modern design. Anyone have a suggestion on an app or a way I could visually see both options on our house?

Comments (12)

• PRO
    PPF.
    4 years ago

This is not like wrapping paper -- the design of the house (shape) needs to match with the exterior style.

Your elevations don't look farmhouse or modern.

• chispa
    4 years ago

Why the transoms over the windows? They don't add anything to the design. Why not just taller windows?

• BT
    4 years ago

Why the transoms over the windows? They don't add anything to the design. Why not just taller windows?

Ceiling height is 10'. Probably because most vendors window height is limited to 72"... so choices are get a transom or get screwed by really high priced custom architectural windows. I asked Marvin rep about those beautiful tall windows ... we can she said, next we looked up a price... I can't I said.

• BT
    4 years ago

I do not understand why OP is building one story rancher with low slope roofs, DH windows and provides the inspiration pictures of two stories with high slopes, casements. These are not the same animals.

• PRO
    PPF.
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    4 years ago

I do understand that your contractor lacks design abilities and may have left over narrow transom windows that they're trying to use on a project.

• RES, architect
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Its difficult to get beyond the tiny little transom windows and the large blank walls.

Your windows scale 5 ft tall without the transoms. which seems to contradict your comments.

Is the project in the US?

What does the rear elevation look like? What is the horizontal material? I would guess brick but there are counter boards.

IMO the best way to visualize exterior options is with the free version of SketchUp.

• D B
    4 years ago

You need to go back to the Marvin rep and try again. This is how they price if I were to sell them.

Typically fewer units are cheaper than more. Unless the fewer units require an upgrade to tempered glass.

• RES, architect
    4 years ago

If you are using very large paired windows I would avoid having them factory mulled together because they are difficult to deliver and install. They might also require factory reinforcement where they meet. I prefer putting 3 or more studs between them and installing them separately. I use an Azek continuous sub sill for paired winnows especially for Marvin Uliimate double-hungs.

• PRO
    Virgil Carter Fine Art
    4 years ago

OP, if you are still here, can you explain your initial comment and confusing photos, please?

It doesn't make sense when you talk about 1-story farmhouse or modern and show all 2-story buildings in your photos?

Are you there?

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    4 years ago

I'm here.