pitrechris

Stone shower bench with glass tile

Freelance Architect

Installing glass shower tile, and I need to get the dimension for the stone bench top. Usually I would install the bench top first then tile the walls. But I don't want to have to cut or notch the glass tile to fit up against the bench top (angle on top and notched front overlap). I'm wondering if it's still acceptable to install the glass tile first, then slide the stone top in after. I know it will be a tight fit. Anyone see this installation method before? Any other advice or method?

GreenDesigns

What waterproofing system? What bench design and materials?

Freelance Architect

All Laticrete shower system. Preformed bench with Hydro Ban.

Debbi Washburn

Not sure how the bench will waterproof up against the tile...doesn't seem proper to me... want to see what the tile gurus say

GreenDesigns

Some glass can be shards of splinters, but some cuts OK. You should practice on the actual tile itself before determining the final order of ops, and maybe being apprehensive over something that turns out to not be a something.

But since the join between the tile and bench should be a soft expansion joint anyway, a bench top 1/4” less than the opening should be fine to slide it in and then caulk with 1/8” to each side. You might have the sides against the walls done as polished flat edges, as a precaution against scratching it as it slides in. Yeah, it will be more maintenance down the road. Add a revenue stream to your business doing caulk removal and replace.

Freelance Architect

Thanks for the input. Will try some practice cuts first.

Creative Tile Eastern CT

Not a problem. Leave enough perimeter joint to fill with 100% silicone sealant. Don't wedge the stone against the glass.