Are walls prepped correctly? Contractor said tape/thinset unnecessary

HU-153826367
last modified: August 12, 2019

I have some concerns about my contractor’s work in my master bathroom (downstairs). I‘m uncertain if they prepped the walls correctly. I’m hoping to get some advice before they finish the work.

Any thoughts about the work are appreciated.

1. I’ve read that tape and thinset are supposed to be used on the seams to add more strength. Was this supposed to be done before the red waterproof material was applied?

2. I selected a heavy 16x32 tile that is approx 18.5 lbs each. The tile is going all the way up to the ceiling. Do you think the hardie board should go up higher?

3. Does it matter if the hardie board is uneven? Tile will be installed on the walls around the

freestanding tub, and left side is lower. I wasn’t sure if this is okay.

4. I read online that all four corners of the hardie board aren’t supposed to meet because it will have less strength. Is this true? If so, will the area under the shower faucet need to be replaced?