klpanda

Painting cabinets/sanding question

klpanda
last modified: August 12, 2019

Hi all! Hoping I can get some advice here! I am painting my kitchen cabinets - originally 90’s style golden oak.

I sanded enough to scuff them up, but not to bare wood. Then used a deglosser for a quick scrubbing as well.

I primed with one coat of Zinzzer BIN yesterday. Today I took some 220 sandpaper to it, and noticed that in a few spots the primer sanded off the outside edges just a bit. It held great to flat, smooth surfaces, but some of the edges/corners look a little “antiqued” after sanding.

Is this a concern? Or normal for this stage in the process? Do I need to prime a second coat or just stop stressing and keep the sandpaper block away from the outside edges? ‍:)

Thanks In advance for any advice!

• Kaylie Keesling

That should be fine. Mine did the same thing when I sanded. Make sure you use tack cloth to remove all of the sanding dust. It makes it so much easier.

• cat_ky

Its pretty normal, when it comes to the outside edges. You should be fine. What kind of paint are you using? Hopefully, it is paint that is meant for cabinets.

• klpanda

I haven’t bought it yet, but probably BM Advance paint

• Kaylie Keesling

Advance is great. This is the second kitchen I've used it on. I'm also using a $70 HVLP paint sprayer this time and it's amazing. I can't believe how smooth it's going on.

• live_wire_oak

If you’re knocking paint off the edges, then you aren’t sanding with the tool flat to the surface. You are letting it wander over the edge at an angle, and that will give it a slight round over. This can happen by using a sanding sponge, or a tool with some flexibility rather than being rigid and flat like a sanding block. It takes practice to do this 100% correctly. You’ll have that practice by the end of the project!

It likely won’t be affect the appearance too badly, unless you have eagle eyes. But on the off chance that you might be able to see that, mix up the order in which you sand the doors. Your technique will improve as you do this, so the “better” doors should be random in placement just as the “less better doors” are.