mkstirrett

What color appliances?

mkstirrett

In a prep pantry with white/cream shelving, what color appliances is better for the freezer, ovens and dishwasher--stainless steel or white?

Sabrina Alfin Interiors

Stainless, unless you're going with very high end appliances like Bluestar or other vendors who do custom colors. You don't want just plain 'ol white GE appliances. I'm assuming that if you've got a pantry with multiple appliances, this is a fairly high end remodel, yes?

mkstirrett thanked Sabrina Alfin Interiors
  • mkstirrett

Thanks, new construction. Plan to use panel ready appliances in kitchen.

• theclose

I think it’s personal preference. We have white appliance and I love them. I really dislike stainless.

mkstirrett thanked theclose
  • functionthenlook

Yes, whatever you prefer. The wow factor of SS is dying out. White or SS will be the classic norm.

• mkstirrett

So you're saying SS is dying out, then say white or SS will be the classic?

• functionthenlook

No, I am not saying SS is dying out. I am saying the must have of only using SS is dying out. SS is morphing into a classic color appliance like white always was.

mkstirrett thanked functionthenlook
    Nanke Signature Group

You have options!

While stainless steel can be a little more challenging to maintenance, it will offer more contrast than the white appliances against cream millwork. A stark white against cream can make the cream look as though it is dingy white as opposed to being the intended color. Without seeing the true finish of the shelving, stainless would be the safe recommendation here.

If you think you'd prefer white for the ease of maintenance, consider the GE Cafe line for an updated classic look:

Best of luck with your project!

mkstirrett thanked Nanke Signature Group
    moico inc.

Stainless! It's now a classic. White can look cheap and many white appliances now have ugly textures.

mkstirrett thanked moico inc.
  • chloebud

Stainless, for sure.

mkstirrett thanked chloebud
  • functionthenlook

I don't know why white would look cheap. It is the exact same appliance, but a different color. SS sometimes cost a little bit more than white and sometimes is the same price.

It all depends on your kitchen. I've seen SS that overwhelmed the kitchen sticking out like big metal cold boxes and then looking good in other kitchens. Same with white appliances.
    I have had both and white sure is easier to keep nice looking though.

mkstirrett thanked functionthenlook
  • Suzanne

The Miele white appliances are gorgeous.

• chloebud

I don't think white necessarily looks cheap, but it can...sometimes... look dated to me. Also, appliance white is very stark and can look "off" if the cabinets are a softer/creamier white.

Depending on the kitchen, black appliances can look like dark holes. There needs to be some
    balance in the kitchen so your eyes don't go straight to the appliances. Things like black countertops and/or accessories can help.

Regarding cleaning, I spent a lot more time cleaning white appliances we had in a former home than I do with my current ss appliances. Just no question there.

mkstirrett thanked chloebud
  • megs1030

If you are doing panel ready appliances wouldn't you just install panels that match your cabinets?

mkstirrett thanked megs1030
  • mkstirrett

The panel ready appliances are in the kitchen. The oven, microwave and freezer are in the adjoining prep pantry where there will be white/cream shelving.

• chloebud

Sorry, when you say "white/cream" do you mean both colors for the pantry shelves, or they'll be a creamy white? If creamy white, I wouldn't have white appliances.

mkstirrett thanked chloebud
  • megs1030

Ah, gotcha, thank you for that clarification. Are the oven, micro and freezer that you WANT all available in white and stainless steel? I'd first pick the ones you want, then figure out the color. But if they're in a separate room (so to speak), I don't think it will matter one way or the other.

mkstirrett thanked megs1030