lisa_guest94

Paint suggestions to compliment & brighten golden oak wood ceilings

Lisa Guest
last modified: August 12, 2019

We are renovating most of a house we just purchased. It has beautiful tongue and groove wood between the beams on the vaulted ceilings in the main rooms (great room & living room), which appears to be a golden oak stain. Since we will not be painting the ceilings, I am trying to decide on complimentary colors for the walls, trim & cabinets (kitchen & bathrooms). I usually like using more color, but am considering using a white to brighten the rooms and neutralize the golden stain of the ceilings. Would using white on the walls, cabinets and trim be too stark? Any suggestions that would compliment the ceilings, but not be yellow?

Fox Creek · More Info

Fox Creek · More Info

• cat_ky

It looks a bit darker than golden oak. It is a beautiful ceiling. They used yellow paint, which is always a very poor choice of paint, with oak colored trim etc. White should look very nice (no yellow toned whites), or light greens, blues, and aquas look fantastic with oak. Congratulations on your new home.

Lisa Guest thanked cat_ky
  • Olychick

The ceiling looks more like cedar or pine to me, not that it really matters if you're not painting it. This room's ceiling looks a lot like yours and these neutral paint colors look great with it. Seems like you could find one similar to coordinate with your fireplace and ceiling:

Another with similar colors:

Lisa Guest thanked Olychick
  • grapefruit1_ar

What is your flooring going to be?

Lisa Guest thanked grapefruit1_ar
  • Lisa Guest

It will be a LVF Country Oak to tie together with the young and groove.

• Gcubed

Following

• Sylvia Gordon

I don't think anybody on this planet can neutralize such a powerful presence as that ceiling LOL!

Which is just fine.

It is something to be accentuated rather than neutralized.

On my screen, it looks like a warm reddish gold, or maybe a golden red. Greens are always beautiful with that kind of wood.

Have fun!

Lisa Guest thanked Sylvia Gordon