sushipup1

I'm so tired of gray

sushipup1

Anyone want to make bets on when gray cabinets will be out, and we start getting conversations starting "my kitchen is so 2019 and dated, I need to get rid of the gray."

• M Miller

I thought that had already happened! Sophie was saying that, like, 3 years ago.

sushipup1 thanked M Miller
  • jmm1837

I think it's seen its "use by" date as a trend, but kitchens don't get updated every year, so we'll be seeing a lot of grey for years to come, just not so much in the magazines.

That said, there will always be grey cabinets, because grey can be a nice neutral. I have them in my kitchen, which is a contemporary style, and quite like them. I find the grey a "peaceful" backdrop, given everything else I've got going on with rugs, art and decor in the open concept area :)

sushipup1 thanked jmm1837
  • megs1030

Ha! I would have said "so 2017". And that's not to knock gray, it's a trend that has been around for a few years. We are getting ready to do ours and I thought it was so novel to install a navy island with white perimeters but I see quite a few of that. I'm sure mine will look "so 2019" in a few years as well. ;)

sushipup1 thanked megs1030
  • Zalco/bring back Sophie!

The lag between high end design, as practiced by big name designers, and Main Street seems quite large. For those of us who are attuned to what the big kids are doing, but are on our own, with fewer resources, the chasm is yuge.

sushipup1 thanked Zalco/bring back Sophie!
  • Zalco/bring back Sophie!

PS Well done gray will always be great. It's the slap dash copying of HGTV gray that is so tiresome and will look like Tuscan and all its misfit cousins in due time.

• Shannon_WI

Martha Stewart started the whole thing with a Martha Stewart Living magazine cover that made everyone gasp - at the time. I think it was 2005 or 2006. It was so unusual, almost unheard of then to do a gray kitchen. She also used about 6 different gray paint colors, unlike the gray monotone kitchens now. The problem is that the subsequent zillions of imitators do not have Martha’s exquisite eye for color and proportion, nor the high ceilings and windows. Almost all the literally thousands of gray kitchens marching across Houzz are dull, uninspired, and desperately copying what they think is current. Can’t wait for people to stop this.

Martha’s kitchen:

sushipup1 thanked Shannon_WI