audrey_hamilton83

Cold Kitchen, advice please

Audrey Hamilton

There was a leak in my kitchen that lead to remodeling. Ultimately deciding on something more modern. Husband likes the old kitchen because it looked warmer and more welcoming. New appliances and quartz countertops will be installed in two weeks. Will be repainting the kitchen. Please be easy on me, this is my first home!

GreenDesigns

Post pictures.

• luckyblueeye

There was a picture with arch top oak cabinets posted...now gone. No new picture?

• Audrey Hamilton

before

after

• M Miller

I am not clear on what you are asking - it sounds like you've already chosen your counters and appliances so we can't help you there. What is it that you want to know about?

• megs1030

What a beautiful transformation! I can see what your husband is saying, but he's just not used to it yet. For one, it's not finished as your counters aren't installed and the paint still needs touching up. Have you picked out a tile? If not, perhaps choose something that injects a little color into your space. Same with any window treatments you may be adding down the line.

Audrey Hamilton thanked megs1030
  • Audrey Hamilton

Sorry this is my first post and I couldn't get the pictures uploaded. I'm looking for advice on backsplash, decor, paint color recommendation {current color is Sherwin Williams Oyster Bay and what to do with the floating island {or ditch it altogether}

• megs1030

If you have the room to install an island, I would. It would give you extra prep space. But it's hard to say without knowing the dimensions of your kitchen or seeing a floor plan.

Audrey Hamilton thanked megs1030
  • beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally

First, it's hard to gauge everything before the kitchen is finished with everything installed and all the final touches, including cutting boards and fruit bowls.

Second, I'm fairly certain that for your husband it was the warm tones of the wood cabinetry and flooring in the old kitchen that made it seem/look warmer. You now have white cabinets, grey (wood) flooring, and blue walls, all of which makes the room look much cooler.

It may be a question of waiting to finish the remodel, and then getting used to the changes.

Another simple fix is to take a look at your light bulbs -- try ones that are 3000k or 2700k which should make the whites and other colors look warmer.

I like the idea of an island if there's room, but that existing island doesn't go with the new flooring.

Audrey Hamilton thanked beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally
  • Audrey Hamilton

Thank you for the responses Meg's and Becky. Would you paint the island or ditch it all together? Great suggestion on the lighting! The walls do look blue but are more of a green color. Any recommendations on paint? I also need some type of lighting above the kitchen window and perhaps under cabinets..?