elena_yammine

First Time Home Buyer - Help With Floor plan Decisions!

Elena Yammine

Hi everyone!
I am a potential first time home buyer (finally!) and am looking to buy a house. For my budget, it looks like I will only be able to buy a townhouse. I have selected a location I want to buy in, as most of my family, friends are around the area and its about 10-15 mins to work. Taking into consideration budget and location, I am down to 3 floor plans.

Wondering if I could get your opinions, thoughts on each of the floor plans and which ones work the best. Thanks everyone!

** Edit, Additional **

I guess I should add that. I'm going to be a individual home owner (no kids or significant other). I do prefer the seperate dining, only for when I have guess over. The 2nd floor laundry is a plus but tbh, at this point in time, I don't really mind it in the basement. I guess, if you put that all together, #2 might be the best fit but I still like to hear your opinions! Thanks!

From Left to Right
1. $3K more expensive than 2, but $7K cheaper than 3, ~1685 square feet.
2. Smallest and cheaper than #3 by $10K, ~1670 square feet
3. Most expensive, ~1755 square feet including basement

1

2

3

• flopsycat1

Immediately drawn to #1 since both living and dining areas are windowed. Laundry is unfinished in #2. Finishing that would wipe out the price difference between it and #1. I’m sure there are a lot of other comparison points which will come up in the comments.

Elena Yammine thanked flopsycat1
  • groveraxle

First impressions: I would want a finished laundry, so that would eliminate plan #2 for me.

If the development has models, I would tour them and see what kind of vibe I get in each.

Elena Yammine thanked groveraxle
  • Keepthefaith MIGirl

They're going to need to know your lifestyle first - do you plan to use the basement, are you single or have kids, or plan on raising kids here, how long do you plan on being here, etc. All of the floorplans look great - they're only slightly different, so there's no way to tell "what works best" if we don't know your lifestyle. For instance, what's the difference in the entryway outside? Does one option offer more privacy and is that important to you? Does one offer a semi-private driveway and that's important? Does one put the master at the street and one doesn't, and does that matter to you? Do you want a separate dining area like option 2, or do you prefer to walk around a dining table like the open concept in option 1? -- those are the kinds of questions you may want to ask yourself...

Elena Yammine thanked Keepthefaith MIGirl

I agree this is not a decision made with no info as to your lifestyle how many people live there do you entertain a lot. The laundry on the main floor for .A bathroom next to the family room is a must Are these spaces already done or can you make changes>

Elena Yammine thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • Elena Yammine

Whoops, I guess I should add that. I'm going to be a individual home owner (no kids or significant other). I do prefer the seperate dining, only for when I have guess over. The 2nd floor laundry is a plus but tbh, at this point in time, I don't really mind it in the basement. I guess, if you put that all together, #2 might be the best fit but I still like to hear your opinions! Thanks!

• Janie Gibbs-BRING SOPHIE BACK

Agree we need to know more about you, how many ppl will live in this residence, ages, etc.

For myself?

#1.

Why?

I would prefer to have the kitchen closer to the garage, and it looks like the garage will not dwarf the porch in this floor plan.

Also like the access to the patio door in #1

Elena Yammine thanked Janie Gibbs-BRING SOPHIE BACK
  • Keepthefaith MIGirl

As a single first time HO, I bought a 2 story walkout basement condo. laundry was hooked up in basement and included a work sink which I loved, to clean paint supplies and wash dirty shoes. Location of laundry kept me fit and I didn't plan to be there forever. What mattered to me was the overall layout. The model I chose had a private driveway. Having a view out the back mattered. Which direction the back faced mattered because when I got home from work, I wanted lots of natural light! So I'd encourage you to think about those things. Do you want to save money for vacations or have a convenient laundry space?

• sheepla

I immediately liked #3 the best and then went back and read your email and saw it was the most expensive...which is typical of choices I make!

Why?

Basement laundry would be a non-starter for me so no to #2.

I like the stairs better in #3 and the fact that there is a window in the kitchen.

Elena Yammine thanked sheepla
  • auntthelma

I like the kitchen in 3 best, but they all work. I like the airiness of 1. Don’t like 2.

f

Elena Yammine thanked auntthelma
    Sina Sadeddin Architectural Design

1 or 3 would be my vote. Definitely not 2

Elena Yammine thanked Sina Sadeddin Architectural Design
  • Elena Yammine

Thank you everyone! Definitely loved to hear everyone's opinion. I guess a lot of people prefer the 2nd laundry over the separate dining room. I agree all 3 are very similar, with the exception of those 2 the noticeable differences. Maybe it's my first house or whatever but definitely really overthinking this :P

• flopsycat1

One more point against #2. When you enter, the line of sight in 1 and 3 is toward the window. In 2, you’re looking at the kitchen wall. Assuming the view is worth looking at, I‘d prefer to see it and natural light, rather than a wall, when I come home.

Elena Yammine thanked flopsycat1
  • Keepthefaith MIGirl

Is this a stand alone or are these units part of a bigger building? If it's a bigger building, it might be worth asking to look at a for plan or ask which one is totally on an outside wall, so you share less walls and possibly have more privacy

• Keepthefaith MIGirl

I meant *typically on outside (edit features on this app would be lovely)

• Elena Yammine

Just to add, I guess HOUZZ does have everything. I was able to find #2 and #3 in pictures in case people are curious.

#2 https://www.houzz.com/hznb/photos/minto-show-homes-haven-contemporary-dining-room-ottawa-phvw-vp~113045015

#3 https://www.houzz.com/hznb/photos/minto-show-homes-monterey-contemporary-dining-room-ottawa-phvw-vp~113046511

Here's a pic of #1 I found

• Janie Gibbs-BRING SOPHIE BACK

I would have my furniture in #1 arranged quite different than this picture personally.

• di0spyr0s

I like #1 best. Primarily because I think it has more usable space than the other two - the dining spaces in #2 and #3 are small to start with and made smaller by the fact that they will be walked through to get in and out of the house.

Once you remove ~3ft of walking space from your 10x10 Dining room there isn’t really space for a dining table.

I’d also prioritize the laundry near the bedrooms. I’ve lived places before where I needed to carry laundry up and down stairs and I vowed never to do it again.

Elena Yammine thanked di0spyr0s
  • J Williams

I personally like the separated dining area, which could be anything you want, and don’t Mind the basement laundry as I’ve never had anything else, plus it’s nice to have the rough work space, as someone said, cleaning boots, cleaning pets, soaking a wash, scouring our plant pots etc. Plus if the washing machine leaks it doesn’t Leak into an overhead area. I’m not a fan of having the dining crammed into a sitting area, but on the other hand, a longer living area may be more flexible if let’s say, you have oversized things. I really don’t like kitchens with no natural light as I use a kitchen all throughout the day and people end up in one a lot I find, but the galley style may be cramped, hard to tell.

Elena Yammine thanked J Williams
  • di0spyr0s

If you decide to go with the dining room, plan #3 is the better of the two - foot traffic is only along one edge of the dining room, (#2has foot traffic on two edges) and the kitchen layout is the best of the lot :)

Good luck with your purchase! I’m so excited for you!

Elena Yammine thanked di0spyr0s
  • J Williams

Three does seem to be the nicer one, as the stairs do not go directly against the master wall, from what I can tell, and the kitchen is more open.

Elena Yammine thanked J Williams
  • Gcubed

Think about where you will spend the most time (apart from your bed) and how you would set up that space. Will you have/want a TV in the LR; if so, how would you arrange your furniture in all 3 set ups. The pics of #2 and #3 don't even show a TV (more of a conversational space). Perhaps Family Room is where TV is expected, but are you really going to watch TV on a daily basis that far from kitchen (and your snacks!)

Elena Yammine thanked Gcubed
  • J Williams

You can always mount one on the wall on a pivot, we had one in the sitting area of our kitchen but had to remove it as son was an insane screen junkie, it was nice while it lasted lol.

Elena Yammine thanked J Williams
  • tangerinedoor

No kitchen window in #1. That would be a deal killer for me.

• cat_ky

I would choose no. 2 . It seems to have a little better layout. I like having a laundry in the basement. I have had both. Right now, I have a main floor laundry. I much prefer it in the basement. Choosing this plan though, may cost a little extra to have the laundry actually finished, unless you can get them to include that in the purchase price.

• Kate E

All of them a good - I don’t love no kitchen window in #1, and if you went with #2, could you add a laundry chute from the second floor down to the basement? That way you’d only have to carry a basket upstairs at least.

I like #3 the best - best of all three options I think- if it’s comfortable within your budget, it works. If it’s too tight- not worth it!

Have fun!!