Quartz install HELP!

Christine P

Is this seam as bad as I think it is?

• St561 W

yikes, i am really sorry to see what your fabricator has done. The large vein should match at the seam at the very least. i hope it can be resolved.

• Sonya Oden

I am the least picky person and normally little variances wouldn't bother me. This would drive me crazy! Hopefully they can fix it for you!

• Sonya Oden

Also I think I hit the wrong vote button. There wasn't a yes or no option. Sorry!

I think it woiuld depend on the layout of the counter how many slabs were bought and if you asked for book matched which BTW is difficult with a man made product.

• Christine P

This will honestly be a learning experience for me. This is the way my kitchen is laid out.

• GreenDesigns

You are not getting a perfect match in quartz with big movement. It isn’t physically possible. Again. It isn’t physically possible. Man made stone does not have a predictable pattern with which to get optimal results. There are dozens and dozens of threads on this very topic. It would be Especially challenging to even get that good with those angles. You got as good as it gets. With those angles, you should have chosen a stone with no movement, or several slabs of bookmatched natural stone. Or accept what you got, put a trivet there, and move on.

• Kaylie Keesling

I feel like your fabricator should have caught that. When I went in to preview the layout they were adamant that the seams be placed in areas with no veining for this very reason. Unfortunately I'm not sure there's anything that they could do at this point.

• Renee Tallman

I thought it looked terrible in your close-up photo. But when I saw your full-kitchen photo, it wasn’t so obvious. It’s barely noticeable. I’d probably put an eye catching colorful vase or canister in that area and move on.

How on earth would that have worked in this situation I agree move on and honestly once the kitchen gets working you will forget it and it might have been less of a problem without a corner sink.

• mama goose_gw zn6OH

How it would have worked--if there was enough material--was to cut the piece on the right a couple of inches shorter, so that the vein on each side would line up.

Or maybe take the extra material off the piece on the left, which wouldn't be exact, but closer.

(This is a screen-grab; I'm having difficulty copying some of the pics on Houzz today.)

• Casamacho

I'm usually ok with most seams posted on here where people aren't happy it's never that obvious to me, but this one, just no. It's so blatantly obvious there is a seam and it's so off. Sorry hope they can fix it!!

• A Foster

Your vote options don’t label good or bad so I didn’t vote. I’m no expert but things like this catch my eye I wouldn’t like it.

• oldryder

I am a fabricator. Without pics of the slabs and drawings of the kitchen it is impossible to say if this could have been better without buying more material. This is a good example of why a competent fabricator will review grain transitions BEFORE cutting the stone. If the OP had seen that the fabricator was doing the best compromise given the options the OP would be happy instead now of stressed.

• live_wire_oak

You can see that the section to the right is done as a single piece, with no seam. That eats up a lot of the slab to be able to do that. It ate up almost the entire width and all of the depth of one slab to do it that way, but it was the optimal way to not have a seam on the peninsula. That left the wall section to try to carve out of what was left. . It had to have a seam there, with the vein there, because of the amount of slab left after fitting that seamless piece onto the stone.

Your choices were:

Buy an additional slab to try for the best quality match in seams. That would be an extra 3-5K.

Buy a Jumbo slab that could have done that whole section without a seam. ( Depends on the length measurement of that section to the left. Might not be physically possible to carry it in the house, even if the whole could be seamless.) That would be an extra $1000-$2000, depending on the extra labor needed for the oversized fabrication and transport.

To have the long section against the wall be the seamless one, and do the seam on the peninsula, next to the DW, or in the middle of the sink, where you’d notice it even more. (Depends on the length of that counter run) And not buy an extra slab. Same cost. Worse result.

To not have a seam on the peninsula, and have a slightly less than ideal seam there by the wall, and to not have to buy another slab. This is what they picked, because it gave the best seam location, and didn’t incur any additional costs to you.

All of those options should have been COMMUNICATED to you when you viewed the template layout on the stone. Heck, they should have talked with you about the issues with seaming this type of stone when you first selected it! And then they should have asked right then if you preferred to spend more money to get more aesthetically pleasing seaming results. Or if you were OK with a lower cost as the trade off to the average quality, but acceptable, seams like you received.

• kerri1400

Yes, yes it is. So Sorry.