Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
laura_viars

Toilet issue in new house

Laura Viars
4 years ago

Hey, folks! I was hoping I could get some insight here, to determine who I should contact (either the plumber of the folks who built my house). Thanks in advance!

We moved into this house less than a month ago, new construction. It's two-story, two toilets downstairs (one in a bedroom and one in our powder room) and one toilet upstairs. The downstairs toilets don't flush properly - they flush, but not enough to push the paper and everything down initially. After flushing, the bowl will get a little full (nowhere near overflowing, though), and then over the course of the next 20-30 minutes, the water will eventually drain but not refill (there will be very little water in the bowl).

What's weird (to me, uneducated in such things, lol) is that initially, the bedroom toilet originally did it intermittently and the powder room didn't do it at all. Now, the bedroom toilet does it every flush, and the powder room toilet does it intermittently. However, the upstairs toilet has no problem flushing at all. We originally thought maybe it was a main sewer line clog, but then wouldn't all of the toilets have the same issue?

Husband was plunging the powder room toilet last night, and it was causing bubbles in the bedroom toilet. Would something like a snake help in this instance? Is it even a clog if the toilets eventually drain?

Any insight would be appreciated, thanks!!

Comments (9)