Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
country_girl_at_heart

Laundry room/log home: drywall paint color,garage door paint/stain?

country_girl_at_heart
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Painting/color ideas in new log home...

Laundry....

We have cabinets being installed on Monday-and it would be helpful for me to paint our drywall prior to the install.

I have struggled for months on deciding color schemes...so thought I'd reach out for help.

Main floor plan & laundry room plan is attached-

I want to keep it natural, but know it needs some 'oomph' of color at some point too. What color for laundry drywall...a shade of white? Some sort of yellow? Aqua? I have no clue.

I'll post each room separately (kitchen, guest bath, *laundry room* so this post doesnt go too long.

Am needing to choose paint, tile floor for bathroom, tile for shower floor, walls, ceiling...but mainly paint first for this weekend--I can always change if needed and will just get something on the walls before they install the cabinets-hopefully it will be 'it' :)

help? :) Ideas? Colors? What paint would you paint the drywall? What color quartz counter would you choose? What color would you paint or stain the garage 'man' door? (its a plain old steel door).

Im super stuck in the laundry room-appreciate any advice you have to give....

thanks! :)

______

pics:

T&G natural stain ceiling (middle plank)

Cabinets: lower cabinets under window wall; upper cabinets above washer dryer, and utility cabinet by door from floor to ceiling-all rustic hickory (natural) (on the left and right in this pic)

Floor: Pergo rustic cherry(middle bottom in pic) (The middle top is the granite option for the kitchen-honed nero mist--I do love it...I could use it in the laundry-but might be too much black in the house??)

laundry room: there will be a quartz counter (color ideas? Im drawn to medium/darker gray-concrete like) with sink under window (I have to pick color for that too-blanco laundry sink).

Along right wall: white front load washer/dryer with continued quartz countertop over them, and then a utility closet to the far right between the end of that counter and the garage (man) door.

Logs will be stained a light stain (same as the T&G for ceiling pictured previously)

One day, we'll build a bench/mudroom cubbies/coat hooks along this wall...

Front loading white washer/dryer with counter overtop; utility closet at the end of the counter near the door. Ideas for drywall paint? Steel garage man door- paint vs stain? color ideas? Dark brown? We have so much brown...but I cant see anything else....help. :)

Comments (7)

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

I would do SW Alabaster for walls and ceiling. It is in the Yellow Hue family but soft, light off white. Would look good with your wood. Then, I would add some interest with a color such as SW Meander Blue. It is a blue green and fresh, fun color. Goes well with any woods. But just depends on what look you want. Hard to make decisions with short time frame. What furnishings are you planning?

• country_girl_at_heart
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Oh, I agree...no fun to make decisions under pressure, but it feels like thats been the story of this build...Ive learned so much and it feels like 80% has been under a deadline...so am considering trying to figure out the paint stuff tomorrow-or at least take a guess...the walls are so small it wouldnt take much to repaint if needed-Thanks so much for the suggestions of those colors...I just looked them up--I really like both of them. They do look clean/fresh. The laundry room will basically be filled up with the rustic hickory cabinets (lowers along the sink wall- a silgranite sink (blanco laundry sink) which I'll need to choose a color for as well---thinking something of a medium to darker shade just b/c it will be easier to keep clean), & then upper cabinets on the washer/dryer wall) with a quartz
    countertop (doing granite in kitchen, but figure quartz will be easier to maintain in laundry room)-color tbd...that will take up the log/sink wall and the right/garage door wall....the opposite 'longer' wall we are planning to build a bench/cubbies 'mud room' type piece that will run along that wall...perhaps paint/stain that. There will be a light (pendant or semi flushmount) over the sink, and a flushmount mid room in front of the washer/dryer-oil rubbed bronze and frosted glass.

I was also thinking about putting some simple, maybe live edge shelves to the left and right of the window, or maybe those could have some color too. We're doing most of the finish work ourselves & are both working full time--nothings been ideal about this build & I know I should have these things picked out by now- this is my first house I've even owned (I've always rented & have moved A LOT-so maybe have painted a wall or two, but never had the opportunity to design/paint/etc anything from scratch...its a gift, a challenge, and outside my comfort zone all at the same time. :)

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

Whites are hard and safe at the same time. Since you are uncertain do everything same color either Alabaster flat or Cashmere finish for walls and semi-gloss same color for trim. Don’t assume quartz is easier to maintain. A granite is very easy and real stone. You can get pieces for small spots like laundry at granite yards from their “bones” (leftovers from other jobs). Some have standard lengths for secondary bathrooms etc. at bargain prices. Worth some searching.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

Concentrate on stone and floors. Then pick paint. Make sure color of cabinets works with wall colors. You don’t have to paint Sheetrock before cabinets go in. In fact, get cabinets in first. You want to select paint so it works with cabinets and your lighting.

• country_girl_at_heart
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Oh good idea on the granite leftovers...the guy who owns the granite yard that I believe we'll go with for our kitchen counters, has a bone yard and I need to start going through it every once in awhile to keep my eyes peeled. Yes, I was thinking quartz as it seems easier to care for (no sealing)--although-the granite guy said he could apply the granite sealer and I think he said it was a long term sealer---maybe 10+ years (i cant remember exactly, but it was more than other places I've been told...it seemed too good to be true-but our cabinet maker went to this granite guy--and raves about his granite countertops-and had him put on the sealer-its been working great for him). Hmmmm...and that makes sense to do it all in the same color...Im really leaning toward the Alabaster at the moment. I like it. Oh, thank you so much for your time and suggestions!

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Personally, I would stay away from white -- with that log wall and hickory, I think it would look better to stick with warmer tones, especially since logs lend very specific "feel" to a house. White, even a warmer shade, is just not going to bring out the beauty of wood and isn't going to give the rustic feel that logs call for to full effect. It just isn't.. I'm not able to rattle off paint shade names and tastes vary so widely -- I suggest googling images of "rustic décor" and see if there's anything that you're drawn to.

Something like this (although personally I would have chosen stainless or deep red machines, I think the white is too jarring):

Flo is right, though -- you should get the cabinets and settle on the flooring before tackling paint choice -- paint comes last.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

Wood casts yellow notes onto any color wall, so a off white wall would help bring light into this home. The ceilings are low, and the windows are small as far as I can see, so light and bright is very key. You can add color and more texture with Indian blankets, art and accent walls if you wish.