Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
adam_craig

Need exterior paint help on 1855 historic home.

Adam Craig
4 years ago

Please help with paint ideas for this 1852 historic office building I am buying. I plan to paint house, deck, freshen landscaping, add hanging baskets, maybe some rocking chairs. Any other ideas are appreciated. I am using this for my office and renting out 4 spaces. Its near a popular downtown area so I want it to shine :)

Comments (9)

• PRO
    Design Interior South
    4 years ago

So charming. What type if businesses will these be? If this is a historical building you will have to fall under their guidelines for painting etc. That Said My initial thought based on roof colors and the pillars on the porch is to paint it all white then do the shutters something soft and do the gingerbread trim and casings on windows and doorways and hand rail on porch a gray as well as bottom foundation trim.

SW Extra White body and pillars and porch spindles ( although your porch looks like its under 3' off the ground and I think it would be prettier without the railings and spindles to be honest. it would make the pillars really stand out as a feature and open up the front. It depends on what the code I where you are as to whether they can be removed. Here anything under 3' doesn't need a railing)

SW Network Trim, facia, casing, crawl space lattice

SW Sea Salt

Shutters

• PRO
    Design Interior South
    4 years ago

I would also question whether the gingerbread was original? It look somewhat out of place with the rest of the house. Id find out and if it isnt I would pull it off.

I would also place a mailbox to the right of the front door to help fill that space and do some new lights.

Id do a gray paver walk way from the front out to the sidewalk. As a business it needs a better access point.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

Ideas. This very much depends on the types of businesses are anticipated going into the building. Tell us more and we can help more. Loads of options out there. I would get the roof inspected by roofing expert. That will help you understand depth of potential issues.

• PRO
    Design Interior South
    4 years ago

Flo I thought the roof looked suspicious too.

• groveraxle
    4 years ago

• tatts
    4 years ago

I would do some sleuthing. Dig into some protected corners of different pieces of the house and see if you can find the original colors (the bottom layer of paint). Carefully, of course, with a knife. Start from there.

• Kendrah
    4 years ago

I would make the body and trim all one color with a second color for the shutters and door. I don't object to the current color of the body of the house, I would like to see a deep navy or royal blue on the shutters. Will you also cut back the trees and fix the crooked shutter on the top window? I kind of like the current landscaping, it just needs a trim, some good watering, and a few more healthy pieces thrown in.

Congrats. Beautiful building.

• Adam Craig
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Awesome picture Groveraxle - I think thats a winner. Same body, royal blue shutters.