Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rlmeltz

Please help with designing our galley kitchen!! Designers help!

BATZ
4 years ago

I am planning on renovating my small kitchen and I need lots of design advice. We are replacing the cabinets, floor, countertop, sink, dishwasher, and backsplash. All appliances will stay in the original location b/c we are on a tight budget. From the pictures posted of my kitchen you can see the wall with the tiny pass through and the key hooks - we are knocking down that wall to open up the kitchen. (See last picture for 3D rendering) We are adding a cabinet under the Africa art to make up for the cabinets we are losing from knocking down the wall. I want to possibly extend the counter to add a barstool or two. I am stuck on colors of cabinets, floor and paint color. I have no clue what backsplash to use. I need lots of help! I wanted to do a two tone kitchen - Do you like the colors on the 3D rendering? I designed the kitchen on IKEA and might use Semihandmade doors but I don't love the color options. I have posted some pictures from the IKEA design tool for reference. We have a tight budget so custom cabinets are out of the question. The kitchen doesn't get much light, but hopefully once we knock down the wall it will be a bit brighter. White floors are out of the question!! I have white floors now and I hate them. The wall that has the chalkboard paint on it cannot be knocked down because it has a vent. That wall will have to be painted or have the backsplash or ....? The last picture is a 3D rendering of what the kitchen could look like (not sure if I want shaker cabinets). I would welcome color suggestions and any advice or pictures of kitchens you think I could replicate. Thanks so much! Any links to lighting/backsplash/colors/paint/pendant lights, etc!

Comments (15)

• BATZ
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you for your reply. The wall is not loadbearing and can be completely removed. I really want opinions on color, what light fixtures to use, colors, etc. We are pretty set with the plan and have had a contractor here who measured the space and provided us with all measurements that we took to IKEA.

• Rebekah Gibbs
    4 years ago

I think your design looks great with the space you are working with! Not sure how you feel about bold color but I think a teal on the lowers with a bright clean 3x6 subway tile would look great. If you could swing it some walnut stained open shelving around the sink to keep it really open and then white uppers on the refridgerator wall. Brass pulls/and pendants like your insperation pic would compliment the teal. I would just carry the same wood flooring you already have into the kitchen.

• GreenDesigns
    4 years ago

Hire a Kitchen Designer. And get a real informed opinion from a GC about that wall.

• BATZ
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks Rebekah for your input! I love those blue cabinets. Good idea. Any suggestion on color backsplash? I don’t want to extend our floors because they are laminate and it’s been too hard to find a matching wood tile.

GreenDesigns - The Wall can 100% come down.

• Rebekah Gibbs
    4 years ago

I think a bright white subway tile (or also pictured a bright white mosaic), with a nice white stone or quartz counter will help keep it bright without windows for natural light. Since you hated white tile floors what about a black hex tile?

• Gcubed
    4 years ago

following for updates

• BATZ
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Rebekah - I love the idea of geometric tiles. I actually was looking at the grey ones below. I think the dark black might be too dark in that space. Right now there is absolutely no natural light. What do you think of the color tile below?

I also like the chevron pattern for a backsplash or the pattern below (not sure what it is called) but I don't know if I could do geometric tiles and geometric backsplash. Seems like a little much to me. Thoughts? I do like that last picture you posted with the mosaic backsplash, but I have no clue where to get that. I've never seen it before.

Any suggestions on paint color to use for the lower cabinets? If I use Semihandmade I would get the DIY cabinets and get them professionally painted. I also need a paint color for the back wall and wall that has chalkboard paint on it.

• Hillside House
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Check out a thread I did comparing prices for Semihandmade and two other companies here: Barker Doors vs. Semihandmade vs. Scherr's

Not sure what you're thinking of for color, but I painted my laundry room cabinetry Jack Pine by Benjamin Moore, and it's very comparable to the picture Rebekah posted above. It's gorgeous.

BATZ thanked Hillside House
  • BATZ
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

@Hillside House- your post is so informative and your kitchen is amazing.

I love that color you suggested, but I think it’s too green for my kitchen. I’m not sure I could be that bold!

• Anna (6B/7A in MD)
    4 years ago

You can always be bold. Bold, done well, always wins.

I like the teal cabinets. My mother has a black and white galley kitchen but she has 2 windows in it.

I would plan on undercabinet lights, a bold cabinet color, light walls and countertop. I like the idea of the natural wood shelves somewhere.

I would also find a very interesting, lovely light. I have a small chandelier mounted over my sink that I love.

You need to share a scaled plan as already suggested to get specific recommendations.

• Rebekah Gibbs
    4 years ago

HI Rebecca, I love that grey floor tile. I think as long as you stay with neutral colors on the tile two different geometric shapes will be OK. Below is an inspiration pic that ties it all together to see how you like it as a whole. For the cabinets I did a quick search and Benjamin Moore has a pretty teal called Dark Harbor or the color Magnolia Home by Joanna Gaines line at Ace Hardware. There is a pretty geometric white star pattern similar to the picture at Lowes: https://www.lowes.com/pd/EPOCH-Architectural-Surfaces-Geometric-Star-White-12-in-x-12-in-Ceramic-Uniform-Diamonds-Mosaic-Moroccan-Dimensional-Interlocking-Tile-Common-12-in-x-12-in-Actual-11-42-in-x-11-81-in/1000271885. The countertops in the photo are LG Minuet Quartz. Sorry, I don't really know the best route on the cabinets to buy I have never purchased cabinets before!

• BATZ
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@Anna (6B/7A in MD) Thank you for your suggestions. You ladies are swaying me to possibly due a bold lower cabinet, but I might want to do more of a blue. I posted what I think are scaled plans of the layout below - it's just really hard to read.

@Rebekah Gibbs You are amazing with your suggestions and guidance! I love the pendant lamp and the cabinet hardware. Do you know where I can source hardware like that. I also like that backsplash a lot, but my husband didn't feel the same way. He likes the white subway tile, which I find kind of boring - however, if we go colored cabinets and geometric floors maybe that will add the spark I need?

I was thinking of using this light for my ceiling light

I really like the pendant lights you posted - I'm going to have to search for something similar. I'm not sure I'm sold on the teal. I was looking at different blues and Johanna Gaines line has this blue I thought was more my style - Thoughts?

Or if I went the grey route still I found this paint from Farrow & Ball:

Here are the scaled plans @Anna (6B/7A in MD)

• Rebekah Gibbs
    4 years ago

If teal isn’t doing it for you that blue color is really pretty too and still would look gray with brass and the grey floor tile! I found a few good options on amazon for the hardware by searching brass square pulls and also these on way fair: https://www.wayfair.com/Hamilton-Bowes--Ventoux-5-Center-Bar-Pull-24128SB-24128SCOP-L1123-K~HMBW1035.html?refid=GX293766718941-HMBW1035_40348394&device=m&ptid=762818256643&network=g&targetid=pla-762818256643&channel=GooglePLA&ireid=83020192&fdid=1817&PiID[]=40348394&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIsbjP3fmW5AIVgrfsCh1oWwbcEAQYDSABEgIS_PD_BwE

Here is a link to a similar light fixture! https://www.bellacor.com/productdetail/elegant-lighting-ld6042br-eclipse-brass-and-frosted-white-12-inch-one-light-pendant-2116486.htm?partid=googlePLA-DataFeed-Pendants-2116486&kpid=2116486&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Shopping_-All_Products(NEW)&utm_term=&utm_content=multi-converters_(2-5)&gclsrc=aw.ds&&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIv_64qPqW5AIVFKrsCh0HGQGgEAQYCCABEgJyK_D_BwE

I think the subway tile will look classic and gives you more leeway to get a countertop that can be the star! If you picked the geometric backsplash I would say go for simple very toned down counters.

• BATZ
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@Rebekah Gibbs Thanks for all the links. You have been beyond helpful. Now I'm thinking countertops. I like the Cambria Swanbridge because it is a nice mix of very light grey, silvery gray veining and small dabs of creamy white. It is one of the more expensive brands, but I'm not seeing anything else I really like. I'm also not sure if it would go with the design we have been discussing. Thoughts?

https://www.cambriausa.com/designs/design-palette/#!/slab/swanbridge