FOR PROS
Business tools custom-built for our industry

Say 'so long' to generic business software. Houzz Pro is designed for industry professionals like you.

Will You Help Me Decorate My Home Piece by Piece?

Nathan Smith
last modified: August 20, 2019

Hello!

I recently purchased a home earlier this year that was renovated with a GREAT DEAL of help by fellow Houzz.com users that took the time to kindly offer me suggestions and advice throughout that months long process. Well, now that the house is finished, and I’m moved in, I’m ready to start furnishing/decorating my home. I don’t have much of anything, and as of now what I do have are hand me downs like my couch, bed, and dresser, so I will basically be starting from scratch, but I want my house to look nice, be inviting, and overall comfortable. Basically, I want it to look like someone who knew what they were doing decorated my place and it’s worthy of its Instagram account!

Anyway, that’s why I started this thread, to seek advice for this process, on the big and small choices.

Included here is a picture of my house, and a couple of pictures of the kitchen and den which is open to each other, so it’s not possible to furnish one without taking into consideration the other, I don’t think anyway.

My first question I have today is a small one, but I think it can be made to look great, I just don’t know how. I have ordered some throw pillows for my couch but I’d love to see some pillow covers I can buy that will look great! I’m not one that likes my stuff to “match” but I prefer things to compliment each other. I love different patterns and textures, but I’m terrible at knowing how to put them together in a cohesive way. Also, I love craftsman/mission and mid century modern (I know those don’t go together at all) and antique/vintage home furnishings and art.

Here are the pictures as promised of the exterior of the home, the kitchen/den area, and the couches my pillows will go on as well as a link to my original thread, if you’re so inclined to look through that to see the process I went through designing it.

Thanks for taking the time to read my post and thank you in advance to anyone willing to take the time to help me with this process! I will be forever grateful!

Nathan

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/5458607/help-me-design-my-home-one-piece-at-a-time#23624212

The kitchen wasn’t finished yet, but I think you get the idea

A more recent picture of the kitchen from the den where the couch and loveseat currently reside

• Nathan Smith

Sorry, RL Relocatio, you mentioned changing out the top of the coffee table. Unfortunately, this one im using now is part of a set that was bought by my grandparents years ago then it went to other family members, and a deceased uncle refinished it many years ago. I dont like the style at all but i cant bring myself to do anything drastic to it.

Also, with thus new couch, i really want a tall coffee table. Id prefer it be almost the same height as the seat of the couch as id love to prop my feet up on it since thats a comfortable position for me.

Nathan Smith thanked Home Interiors with Ease

re-decorating tradtional house with some modern pieces, but stuck..on a budget

A surprise to many is that Interior Designers typically save a client more money than their fee. We can get discounts just about everywhere. Plus the economic benefit to more people getting smaller amounts of a sale vs. a store getting the whole amount can be very attractive. If you do shop on your own, become educated on construction differences so you can choose disposable, 10 year, 20 year or heirloom quality (my terms). : ) I'll slow down on the coffee now...D

Here's my inspiration piece. Help me fill in the blanks for a bedroom.

yep, that lamp was in there only to remind me that it needs to be repaired. I'm using it in another room.

Need help with decor pieces for my entryway table.

I think it's about colors, shapes and designs that personally appeal to you. You have an open canvas. Hand-blown glass is always a beautiful accent. Christi, on behalf of Thos. Baker

Help me decorate my husband's home office

I think the size, color and texture of your rug is fine. I would however center the rug in the room. I would turn the desk unit 90º so the arm portion is what you see when looking into his office. He then can work on his computer and you won't have the glare of that screen in your other room. I'd also center it on the wall. Add a low back chair for anyone that wants to stop in and chat. I don't think you need the bench in that room. Depending how it looks, you may want to leave the chest of drawers where it is. As for wall decorating, does he need to access that dry erase board frequently? Perhaps you can find something that function like that one, only more appealing? Add some hanging bins next to the chalk board where they are within reach. Then soften things up with a cool manly clock. To soften the echo in the room, add some curtain panels on either side of the window in the color/pattern of his choice. It is his office after all.
  • happyleg

The Front FEET of furniture goes on the rug you could measure that to about 2 Or 3' from the wall

Nathan Smith thanked happyleg
  • shwshw

Thanks Nathan, all that info helps a lot. I like the rugs you picked. I'm sure the designers on this dilemma will be able to help more easily now.

Nathan Smith thanked shwshw
  • licksch

Your place is starting to look very cozy! Thanks for the new photographs. I love the quilt display in the corner and I would really consider that as a feature piece when you’re picking out rugs. I like the textured rug with a bit of blue in it that you have recently posted.

Nathan Smith thanked licksch
  • RedRyder

I like the rugs you saw but I’m thinking that much navy is too dark. As HIWE says, neutral is better- or something lighter if you want a little color.

Nathan Smith thanked RedRyder
  • happyleg

Maybe the green shade in one of your quilts

Nathan Smith thanked happyleg
    RL Relocation LLC

What will you do with the old coffee table then? I'm only posing this question because often times people don't want to "ruin" the handed-down piece, but then they don't use it at all and I feel sometimes the people who made it would love for you to use it............rather than just keep it... not saying it has to work, just a thought.

Nathan Smith thanked RL Relocation LLC
  • licksch

I like the coffee table. It’s not MCM but neither are the quilts. You have an eclectic vibe going on, which I think is more interesting. Painting just the top of the table could really change the look.

Nathan Smith thanked licksch
  • licksch

Mind you, I wouldn’t paint it! I like the natural wood. You could strip the varnish and oil the top, then maybe paint the legs, if anything. Just ideas as sometimes a fresh set of eyes helps to see possibilities in a new way.

Nathan Smith thanked licksch
  • licksch

This 9x12 is at rugs.usa for $210. Light and pattern echoes the kitchen floor tile pattern. Good site. I have bought rugs from rugs.ca the Canadian branch. It’s an excellent site.

Nathan Smith thanked licksch
  • happyleg

You can always paint the coffee table legs green cause she wanted to bring green from your kitchen

Nathan Smith thanked happyleg
  • raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio

About that coffee table - it is not unique, it was store bought, probably not expensive then, and if bought in later years by your grandparents not so much a family heirloom (IMO of course!) But, if you do have an emotional attachment to it because of association with memories of your grandparents, perhaps you can use it in another room - say, as a bench at the end of your bed, or under a window? I can relate, by the way, I have my grandmother's desk chair and a side table and love having them because they were hers.

If the legs detach, perhaps you can find some of another style that would make the whole piece more attractive to you.

Nathan Smith thanked raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
  • doods

The top of your coffee table reminds of the "live edge" style that is in right now. I find the top quite lovely. Maybe different legs would update it very nicely, possibly some of the pro's on here would have some leg style suggestions. I bet your grandparents would love to see it updated too.

Nathan Smith thanked doods
  • licksch

Change the legs...brilliant!

Nathan Smith thanked licksch
  • mnmamax3

With homegoods, if you like the rugs, get them and try them out because they are sort of first come first served. I like the top one with the rust bits in it personally because I think those kind of rugs can be more neutral than you think (almost like art that does not need to really match anything). The geometric one looks cool too but you'd really just have to see how it looks. A nice leather ottoman would look cool too!

Nathan Smith thanked mnmamax3
  • shwshw

Here's a link to some MCM coffee table legs. Keep scrolling, they don't show up at the top: https://www.tablelegs.com/shop-by-style/danish-mid-century-modern/

Nathan Smith thanked shwshw
  • RedRyder

Yes, changing the legs on the family coffee table is a great idea! If you buy legs high enough, it can be put on the right side of the couch to hold a lamp. Once you can rethink the height, it’s usability expands to other rooms as well

Nathan Smith thanked RedRyder
    Flo Mangan

One word on the coffee table. It isn't right for your new look, so be careful you don't "fix" it and it still won't look quite right. Sometimes we just have to let go and award some thing to someone else or put where it can be used effectively. Believe me, I have two 10 x 10 storage units, so I'm not perfect at this myself! But the really important pieces we have given to one of our kids, or a dear friend. Mean this in the kindest way.

Nathan Smith thanked Flo Mangan
    RL Relocation LLC

Im rather excited that the coffee table redo was a good idea.. but I totally understand if you can't do it.. turning it into a bench was also a good idea. I did that with one and it was tiny enough that i actually put it in my closet so i could put my socks on in the morning LOL

Nathan Smith thanked RL Relocation LLC
  • groveraxle

If your sofa is 112" long, then your rug should be a minimum 8 x 10.

Nathan Smith thanked groveraxle
  • groveraxle

A few rugs...

Nathan Smith thanked groveraxle
  • RedRyder

Groveraxle gave you some great ideas. I love the first one! They’re all different and yet, they’d all look great. Groveraxle: do you think bringing in a bit of the light green from the kitchen would work? It’s an open concept house.

Nathan Smith thanked RedRyder
  • groveraxle

Yes, Red, a bit of green from the kitchen would work in the rug, but I wanted to give Nathan a wide range to look at to show that many rugs can work. I would probably look for one with a bit of green to start, but wouldn't rule out any rug he likes that is the right size and price.

Nathan Smith thanked groveraxle
  • Nathan Smith thanked groveraxle
  • lindahambleton

Wow ^^^. That rug gets my vote. !

Nathan Smith thanked lindahambleton
  • Nathan Smith

You all continue to be awesome! All the info about the coffee table has me thinking and all the rug options are fantastic. It makes me feel better to know such a wide variety could work.

As im sure you all know i have no self confidence when it comes to making decisions like this especially when it comes to a purchase thats a lot of money for me.

someone said earlier an 8x10 is the minimum size but i guess my question is what size will look the BEST? Is 8x10 ideal or would a 9x12 be better relative to the space and size of the room?

Thank you all again and again for being awesome!

• groveraxle

Nathan, look at how the rug is in proportion to the sofa in my renderings. It probably could be a little longer on the near end to hold the chair. You want front feet of all seating to be on the rug, but you still want some border of the floor showing around it. You don't want the rug shoved up against the wall. Using those criteria, break out the tape measure and determine minimum and maximum sizes.

Nathan Smith thanked groveraxle
  • groveraxle

I had another thought about the existing coffee table. Could it go in the enclosed entry, maybe under a window, and hold potted plants?

Nathan Smith thanked groveraxle
  • licksch

The thing to keep in mind is that you will see the tiled kitchen floor immediately in conjunction with whatever is on this floor as the living room flows directly into the kitchen. So part of the decision will be what the tiled floor pattern looks like with the rug pattern.

Nathan Smith thanked licksch
  • niccidhg

.... many sizes available. I included the 8’x8’ photo just for coffee table inspiration

Nathan Smith thanked niccidhg
  • George Withmore

It's always exciting to see how an interior design process evolves as it approaches its desired point. I think you've been very careful in the details and that, at the end of the day, is the key to achieving a successful layout that expresses what you want to convey. As a fan of Mid-Century Modern style, it's inevitable to suggest the Noguchi table replica. I don't know how much you have considered a table with a glass surface, but the advantage of the Noguchi is that its design highlights the choice of virtually any space where it's placed. I hope my advice will help you.

Nathan Smith thanked George Withmore
    Home Interiors with Ease

Nathan....just keep in mind with the rug...the green in the kitchen is not a easy green to match..so with that said I would avoid any green in your rug..and to keep the room looking collected rather than matchy matchy:)

• mnmamax3

Get out your tape again and do some measuring! Use a smaller rug or mat to approximate and see how it feels. I agree that everything does not need to be match-matchy. Some live plants in your space will carry over the green... I like the 1st or 5th rug in grover's recent mockups. I haven't the time to re-read the thread - have you considered an ottoman in lieu of a coffee table? I know you were trying to keep the one you had because it's a family heirloom, but an ottoman is soft on the feet and you can add a tray for remotes, snacks, decor. I liked the idea someone else had of reusing the coffee table as a plant stand. I say take it a step further and use the wood top to make industrial look shelves. Could be two long one for under your tv or taller unit like shown with cutting the two ends off and then two on either side (using the live edge for all)

Nathan Smith thanked mnmamax3
  • licksch

I totally agree with home interiors about the greens. I’ve tried to live in my place with two different kinds of green and my experience is it really clashes. Best to avoid green in the rug, in any very noticeable way imo.

Nathan Smith thanked licksch
  • RedRyder

I was thinking of a rug that had a HINT of that green. I would never pick a rug with a lot of lime green in it. Unfortunately, I have no idea how to load photos onto a comment. I saw some ideas on Wayfair, but they were mostly greys and blues with a tiny bit of the green in the kitchen.

Nathan Smith thanked RedRyder
    RL Relocation LLC

Grover gave you a great selection! I dont think you could go wrong with any of those, and yes the green tile is there, and the shade of mint it is might be hard unless the green in the rug is a true undertone.

Nathan Smith thanked RL Relocation LLC
  • Nathan Smith

You all continue to help me more than you will ever know. All of you are giving me so many different points of view and things to consider that i never would have otherwise. I am learning so much!

Ok, after reading all of the suggestions, and seeing sooooo many different rug options I think i would like to focus my search down for something more traditional / low key / neutral. One reason is my house is an old craftsman, so i really would like to keep some of the old vintage feel of the place and not go TOO far modern. I also thing i love the idea of mixing multiple styles. I think it adds more of a unique, personal feel to a place.

The ones that have been posted that i was really drawn to was the one HIWE in the montage posted on 12/31 and another on 1/4 (I love texture in rugs but this one almost looks like it would hurt your feet walking on it! Is it really soft enough?), the 3rd and 5th rugs Grover photo shopped a few posts above, and the second link Ryder posted.

I also like the example linked by Licksch from rugs.usa on the 5th. My fear though is spilling something on it or any rug that is too light. Also, i think a bit of a busier rug will help to make it look cleaner. Another thing ive learned about myself is i have to be careful about what i pick because i might drive myself nuts because the navy couch and the navy floor in my bathroom show ever speck of lint, dust, or crumb. Im constantly seeing some tiny fleck and picking it up. Might be nice to disguise those little things with the right rug!

As for the table, i am thinking i might actually try the bench idea with plants. I really am not handy, so the idea of attempting a repurpose job scares me enough to want to avoid it. Plus, as couple of others suggested, i am wondering if maybe i should go with an ottoman. Because my couch is more modern the back sits low for me because im between 6’1” and 6’2” so as ive been breaking it in I find myself more and more slouching down low and propping my feet up on the coffee table. However, i have thought on several occasions an ottoman thats bigger and higher than a coffee table might make my couch even more comfortable.

I guess my question is can an ottoman look just as good as a coffee table? Im not even gonna lie, I love that one HIWE posted and Grover photoshopped into those recent renderings, but for practical purposes would an ottoman be more useful while also looking like it belongs in my den?

Like i said, i LOVE that coffee table, but am i wrong in thinking that if i stick with the coffee table im going to have to find a special sized one to look right? I ordered a custom sized couch so i kinda worry a regular size coffee table might look weird. Am I wrong in this line of thinking? i just want to keep the proportions right.

Sorry for the delay in responding to everyone and the length of this post. Been a busy week and I haven’t had much opportunity to do this. Continued thanks!

• annettea

The coffee table you like at West Elm is 47.5”x22”x17”tall. It should be just right for your sectional. If you can swing it, it’s on sale right now with free shipping through January.

Home Interiors with Ease

Nathan don’t you put your feet up on the chaise? That is the best thing about that sofa Sectional....I think you need a hard surface For a coffee table because you can not fit a end table...something to think about...when picking a sofa it really is important to consider your height...sorry that should have been brought up before ordering!:( Just went through the same thing with my daughter and her husband, he is almost 6’5”! I would add a down filled lumbar pillow that can be placed behind your head when viewing TV it should really help with the comfort level for you.

Home Interiors with Ease

This is the coffee table we picked for my daughters living room..from West Elm on sale right now too! The real wood is just beautiful in person.

Home Interiors with Ease

Nathan can you post this measurement for us?

Home Interiors with Ease

It does look like you can fit tables? or one end table...is this the chair that will stay in the room?

Home Interiors with Ease

I would remove the green pillows from your sofa..they are just not adding anything to the sofa..the green in your flooring is special and keep it special buy not incorporating in the room..it can stand alone..add plants to the space..they add so much,:)

• happyleg

I like the green pillows with the navy & green from kitchen.

• groveraxle

HER-2309 Rug from Herati by Surya | PlushRugs.com · More Info

Maison Rouge Eliot Handmade Floral Blue Area Rug (8' x 10') - Free Shipping Toda · More Info

• happyleg

If u go with that rug, change out the pillows.

• mnmamax3

Love the rug rug options, bu I am firmly in the ottoman camp! Nothing feels better on tired feet. Here are a few ideas. Since I think I recall you are looking for a chair similar to the first setup eventually, you could consider a fabric ottoman or something with texture like the rattan. The table ottoman combo might be too modern but if you could find something more casual if might work. A heavy tray can hold your remote and snacks.

Stanwood Dr. · More Info

Living Room · More Info

Contemporary Living Room · More Info