Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oursteelers

First big shopping spree of the season

I like to buy in the fall so they get all of the fall/winter rain. It seems like a lot of my usual haunts have changed hands or are dealing with other issues but I made my purchase with NorthernGrownPerennials, who I used once before and was very happy with.

Coming next week are:

RhinoHide

Sunpower

Beckoning

Climax

JadeCascade

WarwickChoice

VanillaCream

EtchedGlass

HarrietteWard

NiagaraFalls

Anybody else doing any shopping?

Comments (24)

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    4 years ago

Haha! I just got done planting what I had......I really wanted to go to Land Of The Giants for a big purchase. They are an hour and a half away from me, so I could pick and choose some nice size plants. But they’re closed for “open houses “ for the year, so must wait til spring. That’s ok..... I am physically and mentally pooped! Oh, I did buy Rhino Hide last year. Really nice plant but slow to grow for me. Happy planting!!

• sherrygirl zone5 N il
    4 years ago

Looks great! Make sure you show us new plants when you get them.

Sherry

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    4 years ago

Sorry, but I have no idea what you bought. Just using the cultivar name without the genus (at least) and species (if necessary) is meaningless.

• peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada
    4 years ago

Nice list! laceyvail they are Hosta.

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Nice haul! I've laid off the purchases for last month or so, but I went hog wild in the spring/early summer with the new perennial border and some landscape trees. I'm actually embarrassed to admit how much I spent...

I did pick up a Culver's root yesterday and an aster today -- fall is the time I start taking out the potted annuals and replacing them with mums and asters.

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
    4 years ago

Nice choices! No shopping for me. I'm full! But my plan is to visit a hosta nursery next year to pick out a few favorites. I want to see the hosta gardens and the mature specimens.

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Newhostalady, you and I are on the same wavelength!

laceyvail, you can look each of the hostas up in the library and see several pictures of each plant he bought.

• ademink
    4 years ago

Laceyvail....we are on the Hosta Forum...................?

oursteelers - Jade Cascade...phenomenal choice.

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    Original Author
    4 years ago

ademink, I’ve been wanting that one for awhile. I think it will look really good in a container. Do you have it?

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks, that’s good to know since I do love to move things. And that is EXACTLY what I want in my pot. Was it a fast grower for you?

• zkathy z7a NC
    4 years ago

It’s been pretty steady. I planted it there in 2014 and have never moved it. It tends to come up early in the spring, probably because of the pot heating up in the sun. Last year I didn’t protect it from a bunch of late frosts and it looked bad all year. This year it got the VIP treatment when the last gasp of winter arrived and I’m happy with its response.

• n2hostas (Kansas)
    4 years ago

Kathy, what was the VIP treatment? It sounds like and looks like it worked for you! I think I might have to use pots in a section of my new yard. Hubby likes the English Ivy and I think it looks like prime Hosta land!

• lindalana 5b Chicago
    4 years ago

That is one great hosta list! With exception of Sunpower and Climax I got them too. Love that Jade Cascade in a barrel, mine is pretty young yet. Huh, no moving Rhino? Wish me luck!

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    4 years ago

I will need to Move my RH too. It’s in a small space, but I think it can take sun.....maybe to my new bed next spring? Or better to move now?

• zkathy z7a NC
    4 years ago

I covered Jade Cascade with an insulated bucket this spring during a late frost. MyRH has been moved three times and each subsequent year it looked like a mini.

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    Original Author
    4 years ago

After reading this I planned out where everyone will go so I don’t have to move RhinoHide.

Well, I cannot lie. Hopefully I planned well enough he won’t have to move for at least three years...after that all bets are off. The shovel and I start to get twitchy!

• ademink
    4 years ago

oursteelers, JC is the hosta that launched my obsession MANY moons ago. I saw it at Dogwood Farms (not closed) when I walked around a corner. It was HUUUUUUUUUUGE and absolutely stunning. I nearly screamed. LOL I still have the plant I purchased there although I almost lost it one year and it's fighting its way back. Give it room, give it compost and get out of the way. It's awesome. I prefer to grow in the ground - I'm awful w/ containers and there are too many chances for death due to my lack of diligence w/ watering pots.

• ademink
    4 years ago

As for Rhino Died....it's over for me. Third time was not the charm. lol

• windymess z6a KC, Ks
    4 years ago

My Rhino Hide has been a slow grower, and it was not at all happy with a lot of sun (even though it's on the 'sun-tolerant' list)... but then, I live in Kansas.

After I moved it to a more shady and very moist spot, it started to grow. This is it's fifth year in my garden, and the first year that it has started to look like something nice.

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Ademink, sigh. My plants get leaf compost but that’s as good as it gets around here. Anything “tastier” and the labradors would be in snacking heaven. So everything probably grows a little slower than other peoples but they do ok :)

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Windy my RhinoHide will not be going in a particularly sunny spot so fingers crossed it will be happy!

• lindalana 5b Chicago
    4 years ago

Bob at Fox hosta farm has whole row of large Rhino growing in decent shade. I have two , nothing in full sun here,slow but growing well. One needs to be moved.

• windymess z6a KC, Ks
    4 years ago

Well, this is frustrating... I would swear that oursteelers posted about using leaf mulch in a comment on this thread... then I responded with some questions about that... and - poof! - those comments disappeared.

Or am I confused? Was it another thread?