Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_664194765

Can a silestone counter top be moved to a new set of cabinets?

Mary G
4 years ago

Looking for advice.....
What are the odds of being able to move my current silestone counter top onto a new set of cabinets?

It's in wonderful shape, the color is pretty neutral and I still like it. The new cabinets would be the same foot print as the old ones.

Has anyone done this before and how did it turn out?

Comments (11)

• Helen
    4 years ago

There have been some threads on this so you can try a search.

It can be done but you won't find anyone to guarantee that it won't break in the process.

As I recall, the cost of reusing it - even if successful - can be high enough so that it might not even be worthwhile to attempt.

• Mary G
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you Helen, I just assumed the cost would cheaper.

• Helen
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

It might be - I don't know. You can only find out when you actually check with an installer in your area.

It might be cheaper if the process is successful - on the other hand, the cost of removing it safely and then attempting to reinstall it could not be much less than the cost of purchasing a new stone especially if the stone cracks during the process.

There are threads so if you search you will find several discussions on this issue.

• PRO
    Elizabeth Minish Design
    4 years ago

It may be less expensive, but only if you can do it yourself. Why? You would want to hire a crew experienced in fabricating and installation to have the best shot of getting it off and back on without breaking. But put yourself in their shoes and ask yourself "What's in it for them? Usually the answer is "not enough for them to want to take the job and risk their reputation should things go wrong". No harm in getting a quote, but don't be surprised if you a) can't find anyone interested and/or b) the cost saving is negligible.

• Mary G
    Original Author
    4 years ago

rainbowbutterflykittenunicorn, that made me laugh out loud, thank you! The truth is what it is, that's why I asked. Better to know now that I need to budget extra dollars for a new top.: ) It just seems such a shame to toss a good piece away. As for the footprint, it has to remain the same, as that is all the space will allow.

• chocolatebunny123
    4 years ago

One of my neighbors wanted to do this, but she couldn't find a fabricator around that would take the job. She even tried looking on Angie's List and NextDoor. She wound up getting new countertops when she got new cabinets.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    4 years ago

I've done this job several times. It isn't all that, depending on the layout of the cabinets. I wouldn't worry about breaking the top because estone is tough stuff. Much stronger and less likely to break than natural stone.

• Mary G
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you for your answers everyone, I appreciate it.

• PRO
    Elizabeth Minish Design
    4 years ago

Joseph Corlett, did you do the work yourself or hire it done? I have no doubt that a handy person could attempt and potentially accomplish this. The problem usually comes in trying to find a trade person willing to do it.

• PRO
    Aqua Kitchen and Bath Design Center
    4 years ago

Quartz is very heavy and I'm really not sure if you'll be able to lift the slab and move it without damaging it. If the dimensions are exactly the same, and if you use a professional help (but even then damages may happen) it may work.