Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dmmaud

what’s the order of a bathroom re-do?

Donna M
4 years ago

I’m remodeling a small ugly bathroom. There is currently a tub/shower (with a shower rod/curtain). Here’s what needs to be done:
The cast iron tub needs to be reglazed;
the tile floor needs to be replaced;
the tile along and above the tub removed and replaced with 3 solid sheets of either natural or man made stone; new sink/ cabinet;
Re- paint walls.

There won’t be any relocating of plumbing. In what order should this project be undertaken? There is no general contractor- we are going to arrange trade workers ourselves (this is probably a less than $5000 job- not worth the time of Bay Area general contractors!). TIA for help!

Comments (2)

• branson4020
    4 years ago
    1. Do all the tear-out. Also pull toilet.
    2. Install new tub surround.
    3. Install new flooring.
    4. Paint
    5. Install new vanity. Reinstall toilet.
    6. Reglaze tub.
  • AJCN
    4 years ago

We did 3 bathrooms upstairs like this. We did most of the demo ourselves, then hired the trades directly. We bought all our own materials and had them on site for the work to begin. We made sure that the tile pro approved and picked up the tile. He had veto power on the tile. It worked out very well in our case, but you have to know at least a little bit about each project so that you can hire qualified pros and supervise the work as the GC. So to learn, check out DIY books, read the relevant local codes and industry standards for things such as waterproofing and tiling, flooring, electrical, and plumbing, etc

In Texas, at least in my part, no body cares if you act as your own GC. I called my city about permits, inspections, etc bc I assumed there would be some rules; and they said nope, don’t care what you do to your house, go forth with whatever you want. But in CA maybe you need a license or to pull permits, have inspections? I don’t know CA rules, but all my CA family members say there are more rules to follow there.

You said you are changing the tile surround, so you need to demo back to studs and install waterproofing. The tile professional you hire takes complete responsibility for building a waterproof shower from the wall out. In CA, I’ve heard a lot of tile pros will bring in their hot-mop pro to do that part (if you’re doing that). But the tile pro is the one who owns the shower build overall. That is the most important pro you will hire for this project because water is very destructive and will ruin your house if your shower leaks. Spend the $$$ that it takes to hire a very experienced pro for this part of the project. To save some, you could DIY a few of the easier tasks such as painting the walls, installing the lights and hardware, and installing the TP holder, towel bar, etc. If you’re more handy than that maybe you can install the new toilet and faucet yourself too. I’d try to DIY and save in a few areas in order to be able to hire the best tile pro I could afford.