Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cindy_kelly37

I have a beautiful oriental carpet. What to do?

Cindy Kelly
4 years ago

I have this carpet in storage at present. It’s 11x14 handmade expensive carpet. It will last a lifetime +. I bought it about 10 years ago. I’m retired and downsizing, my new place has wall to wall carpet so I’m not using it. My daughter doesn’t want to use it. I’ve been told they are a design No-no now. What should I do? Sell it? How could I use it.

Comments (12)

• ilikefriday
    4 years ago

I have no idea why a rug would be a design no-no???? I would hang it on the wall.

• Cindy Kelly
    Original Author
    4 years ago

That is a beautiful idea. Thanks.

• K Laurence
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Design “no no” ? Well. In my area they’re commonly seen in higher end homes. They’ve been around for a LONG time & never go out of style.

• PRO
    Sabrina Alfin Interiors
    4 years ago

Not sure who told you that oriental rugs are a no-no; they're one of the most versatile pieces of decor that exist and are timeless! Tell us more about the rest of your home. Do these colors work with other furniture you have? Do you have a guest room or office that could be re-decorated? It's one thing if you're not using it because you personally don't like it, but entirely another if it's hiding in storage because someone told you not to use it. To heck with them, I say! It's a lovely rug and someone, even if it's not you, will enjoy it.

• PRO
    JudyG Designs
    4 years ago

Don’t you love it when someone makes a comment like that…a “no no”…how uninformed.

I would take up the wall to wall, lay flooring, if necessary, and use that beautiful rug.

Good design happens when you have something lovely and build on it. That rug could be beachy with white slipcovered sofas, mid-century with a shrimp colored fabric, farmhouse with buffalo check throw pillows…on and on.

The beauty of an Oriental rug is that it is eclectic…the perfect investment piece.

• tartanmeup
    4 years ago

Even your furry friend agrees. Look at that face: "How dare you say it's a no no!" :D

• Lil S
    4 years ago

They are classic and work with many styles. Have you thought about layering it over carpet? My first choice would be over hardwood, but I'd rather use it than sell it for pennies on the dollar.

• Lesley Holt
    4 years ago
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><md>This morning (on CBS Sunday Morning) I noticed that Taylor Swift has one in her dining room. I’m guessing that means they’re still cool.
  • tartanmeup
    4 years ago

Lol, Lesley. There you go, OP. Take your cue from Ms Swift and "Shake it Off". ;-)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    4 years ago

I love oriental carpets they add color and a richness you sure don’t get from cheap rug use it I like the idea of replacing wall to wall with wood and using the rug and loving it everyday. I use them in all kinds of spaces Too bad your daughter does not appreciate the finer things in life like yor puppy does.

• Cindy Kelly
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you all. I do love the carpet and it does go with my furniture and decor. I will layer it for now over the wall to wall.