cagardenerwestelle

What Happens to an Unpicked, Ripe Fig

CA Kate z9

Missed one on Saturday, and here it was on Sunday... burst open. Rather beautiful, I think.

Petite Negra:

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK

I'd eat that one. If you leave it the birds or wasps will get it or it'll fall to the ground and rot.

• CA Kate z9

FIve days later:

I left the opened fig on the tree to see what would become of it. Today it appeared to be a dried-up husk. Not so. Can you see the seeds?

An experiment is in order!

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK

If one thinks about it, why would the fig dry up? Its purpose in life is to reproduce. It needs to distribute those seeds while they're still viable. If one considers other fruit they fall to the ground when ripe or they're eaten by birds and animals. Either way their seeds are spread. Same with figs.

Have you read D H Lawrence's poem Figs?

• CA Kate z9

floral: what you say is true, and normally I wouldn't even get a fig to eat. But, thanks to Stella, the white and black superior huntress cat, that visits on a daily basis, I no longer have a problem with birds, squirrels, rats, etc. getting my fruit. So, no birds to peck out the seeds.

• party_music50

Please send Stella here! I'm happy to share with the birds, but it's the squirrels that steal the majority of my tree fruit. I have one cat that's always on patrol for chipmunks, one cat gets shrews and mice, and another cat goes for grasshoppers (lol!), but they all befriend the rabbits and completely ignore the squirrels. :p