maddielee49

Hey Florida folks...Dorian

maddielee

I’m near Tampa. The line for gas at Costco this morning was long, but at other gas stations there was no wait. I chose to pay the 5 cents more a gallon and not wait in line.

The store (Costco) was the busiest I have ever seen it at 10 am. But they did great, every checkout lane was open, lots of help.

Bottled water sold out. They are expecting another truck sometime today. (FYI water is often cheaper at Winn Dixie, or start bottling your own). Good luck everyone!

• artemis_ma

Justerrilynn.. wishing you much success and safety through this upcoming!

The 2011 events here were during my totally Paleo-phase of eating - and I have to admit even though I eat some carbs and some processed foods now, I didn't miss them during those two events.

The last night before Irene hit over that night... I'd bought salmon. The fish station at the supermarket was basically untouched, but I knew I could eat something like this before the storm hit. I already had things at home to keep me going for over a week. And that tap water I'd saved. During the following week... Just keeping my eyes open to what I needed/had to eat.

• Oakley

We lost power for three weeks due to an ice storm and had no choice but to buy a generator. I checked into the motel in town with the birds and dogs while DH was buying and setting up the generator. lol I got used to the noise.

What I didn't like is DH had to go out of town for three days so it was up to me to gas the generator up, add oil, etc. Normally it'd be okay but we're in the country with Coyotes. Dead of night and no light but a flashlight.

Good luck you guys!

Hey fellow houzzers, anybody else Reno-Ing from 2000 km away?

It looks gorgeous! You are one brave Canadian to have been on such a short time line for this kind of a project. The renters will love it, even if they can still smell paint...the location to die for with view of the Gulf. House of Lords south on 41 on your way to Venice, is a large fine furniture and art consignment store that actually reduces their prices if the items sit too long. Beautiful stuff there. Right across the road from it is Pelican Cottage, which is also consignment as well as new, that has more relaxed beach cottage style, also very nice. Hope you get there soon to enjoy your beautiful winter home!

Before and After - Florida Ranch

Sorry if I offended anyone with my comments, GMF. I think as I creep up on age, my personal preferences are more and more leaning towards preservation of the old (hey, I'm even trying to 'preserve' myself!) rather than building new. I know in years down the road, these homes will have a solid place in our histories, both north and south of the border. I love seeing the differences and many similarities in homes in Canada and the USA. Since I'm married to a man born and bred in the South, we are frequently down that way to visit and yes, there are more similarities than not. People everywhere need a shelter that provides comfort and safety from 'storms', whatever type they may be. A good friend of mine (an architect who designed a beautiful home for us when we lived in the western part of the country) has taught me that lesson well. Keep doing a good job for your clients! I'll struggle on here in Toronto where 'excess and bigger' seem to be the order of the day. Lol

Hardwood flooring help for Florida

A solid hardwood is *possible - but it is ALWAYS a risk. Always. And if you go that route you CHOOSE to take that RISK. Engineered hardwoods were designed by humans so that people in areas like Florida could have wood floors that have LESS RISK. If you want a "solid hardwood" looking floor (with all the benefits) then you can look at the high-end of the engineered spectrum: Site-finished engineered hardwoods. These are the creme-de-la-creme of the engineered hardwood world (with the FANTASTIC price tag that goes with it). The safest install in Florida = the floating engineered floor. This allows a high-end moisture barrier to be used underneath the floor (Florida = swamp = way too much moisture for wood). This keeps EVERYONE happy. A glue down floor is POSSIBLE - but again you are asking for RISK. Glue down wood over slab in Florida = BIG risk. A solid hardwood needs to be glued or nailed into place. That's why solid hardwood in Florida is a BIG risk. Glue over concrete = BIG RISK. A well educated (ahem...expensive) installer can get a glue down to work. It is expensive. More expensive than a floating engineered hardwood to be installed. The adhesives ALONE are $3/sf....yah. $3/sf for the glue. That doesn't include labour. It doesn't include SUBFLOOR PREP, it is JUST the glue. Then there is the subfloor prep (has to be done anyway...no matter what you decide) and the wood itself and then the labour costs to install all the materials. You get the idea. If you really want the look of solid site finished hardwood, go ahead and look into site finished engineered hardwood. That will get you everything you want - and if they are floated then you reduce the risk to just about zero.

Chikoo flowering

Hey guys, I've had this chikoo for over a year. It's flowered couple times. First time it flowered it didn't form any fruit. Second time I hand pollinated and got a few fruit. Some fell off and others grew a decent size but never ripened. Then they rotted. I think it had to do with the plant being in the garage and the light not being adequate. I've brought it inside the house and it's doing fine right now as it's 30s to 40s outside. Any tips on light, watering, fertilizing at this point? I believe it's the brown sugar variety from Florida and I'm in Dallas zone 8a
  • terilyn

Remember to fill your bathtubs so if the power is out you can flush your toilets.

• Bestyears

One thing I learned during Hurricane Ike and employed during Harvey as well was to bring solar landscape lights into the house at night, and then return them to the yard for charging during the day. Worked really well!

• happy2b…gw

Good idea, Bestyears.

• jerzeegirl

Hurricanes are nature's way of cleaning out my freezer. I always toss the things I can't recognize.

• LynnNM

PLEASE keep us updated on how you’re doing . . . if you're able to. Perhaps starting a new “Dorian Update” or Dorian Check-In thread. We care!

• dedtired

Grind the coffee beans and buy a french press. One time the power went out here and I had had to smash coffee beans with a hammer to make coffee. Fortunately my range is gas and I can light it with a match for hot water. Maybe boil water now and put it in a thermos. I can live without a lot of things but not coffee.

in all seriousness, I hope everyone in Dorian’s path stays safe and has minimal damage. Fingers crossed.

• runninginplace

Small bright spot for my daughter's cancelled trip-as the storm situation develops, American Airlines is getting more lenient; as of today they are waiving change fees and penalties for storm related travel cancellations, so she got full credit for the ticket and can rebook anytime for travel until next July!

I told her to consider a long weekend getaway during what we call bad winter (those months in DC after the holidays and before cherry blossom time). I'm betting a little sunshine and 'rent time will be very welcome around February :)

• tinam61

Several here on GW have whole house generators, I think. They come in handy in all types of bad weather and if you are in an area prone to power outages. There are newer portable generators that are MUCH quieter.

Praying that everyone in the storm's path stays safe and loss is minimal. As someone asked, praying that it just heads out to sea! Regardless, as Lynn mentioned, please update as you are able!!

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX

Well it just turned to a category 4! I am really worried it will be a 5 when it hits land. People really really need to take this storm seriously. It's going to be a killer if it continues as it is.

I unfortunately have been through way too many hurricanes. I have lost count. The first I actually remember was hurricane Audrey, I was 3. We were in my grandparents big 2 story farmhouse. It took the entire top story off the house. Luckily we were all on the first floor.

My husband and I met during a hurricane. So many devastating hurricane events. Rita was a terrible one for South Louisiana Cajun country. Wiped Cameron Louisiana off the map.

Of course Harvey was my worst. I have been having PTSD just watching TV and seeing the people preparing. I feel for them.

Get out while you can!

Anglophilia

I love my whole house generator! Little maintenance is required. My handyman and his brother (owner of an HVAC company) installed mine. He’s installed many in my neighbo and just stops by occasionally to check them when he’s in the neighborhood. Other than replacing the battery( general maintenance) I’ve had no additional service over the 8-10 years I’ve owned mine.

Noise? Yes, they’re loud but not as loud as a portable. I can’t hear it in the house with windows closed. I wouldn’t be without it and I’m in KY, not FL!

• lkihlk hiffmpequt

Jerzeegrl-- You are hilarious.

Best of luck to everyone, stay safe.

• arcy_gw

Those that have generators I hope you tested them and got them ready for work!! We are rural. No electricity no ANYTHING--toilet/shower etc. Our power went out for the first time in 20 years, nice summer day, I had 8 adults staying for a wedding weekend of a high school bud of my son's. They all NEEDED showers!!! It took DH and one of the guys four hours to get the generator going--it had never had to be used before this. They don't always just fire up after sitting for years!! And be safe, prayers coming your way!!!

• Richard (Vero Beach, Florida)

Florida is still in the cone but for now it's looking better.

If it keeps shifting east Florida might be out of the woods. Relatively I mean.

The Bahamas, not so much.

The Carolinas? Well, I wouldn't wish it on anyone but if it doesn't landfall until the Carolinas, at least it won't be a cat four.

Next run, who knows? Maybe it will be a fish storm? Maybe it will be "Run for cover"?

https://www.windy.com/?31.924,-74.531,6

I've had my generators started recently.

It took me awhile but I finally figured out that rather than pull and pull and pull to get my larger one started after not being run for awhile, it was less work to take off the air filter and spray a little starting fluid in the carburetor. Then it will start in a pull or two.

Of course that wouldn't help so much if it hasn't been run in years and the carburetor is gummed up.

I try to remember to start mine occasionally. After starting it, I shut the fuel off and let it run until the carburetor runs dry. And maybe put a little stabilizer or Sea Foam in it.

I try to remember to do that because I made the mistake of not starting it for years once and had to take the carburetor apart and clean it. :)

• Bunny

dedtired, if the power goes out here (unusual) I can always light my stove with a match. But on the night the Tubbs fire was burning my town, PG&E turned everyone's gas off. Isn't that done as a precaution when something like a major hurricane is bearing down?

• drewsmaga

Waiting and waiting and waiting to find out what effect Dorian will have on our lives is getting on my nerves. . . .

• Richard (Vero Beach, Florida)

Yeah, it's currently scooting along at a brisk "stationary" mph. :)

I'll feel better once it turns. (I get a nervous stomach and don't sleep as well)

I don't have much experience with hurricanes but this ones path (by here) reminds me of Matthew.

I've been waiting on this guys video. Not that he has more or better info, I just like how he explains it in simple terms I can mostly understand. :)

• LynnNM

Somebody on the Weather Channel was broadcasting yesterday from my old stomping grounds, Deerfield Beach, FL. Standing on the beach just north of The Pier where we locals used to swim, play beach volleyball and work on our tans. I hate that these hurricanes injure and kill folks, and devastate those beautiful towns! Thinking that this one might hit “my” wonderful Deerfield Beach breaks my heart! Keeping everyone affected up and down the coast in my prayers. Stay safe!

• Kathsgrdn

One of my old coworkers posted on Facebook as she was flying to Ft. Lauderdale. She made comments on posts about being crazy...um, not my first thought.

• justerrilynn

Did you see me on the Weather Channel?

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX

https://m.imgur.com/gallery/UaFuq3j

That's a 2nd floor apartment in the Bahamas!

• Raye Smith

Prayers for those in the Bahamas, I have lived most of my life in hurricane country and have been through a CAT3. Can't imagine what they are feeling after >24 hours of that howling wind. Praying that Dorian heads ENE out-to-sea and disintegrates.

I no longer live in hurricane country and people here don't understand them. The recent blunder is moving an event because - if the hurricane suddenly appears they might have problems evacuating an event (don't laugh too hard). No folks, hurricanes can't suddenly appear hundreds of miles in land...

• nicole___

Love The Bahamas! That is a scary, 2nd floor apartment....when that glass door finally gives....

Take care ALL that are in it's path! Hope it stays offshore.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b

FWIW, while watching the Bahamian PM giving a press conference on TV yesterday, I started wondering about how much longer it might be before some of these places become uninhabitable, due to the frequency and severity of storms.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX

Watching the weather Channel right now. Jim Cantore is standing there being pummeled by waves with goggles on. He is just crazy about the weather lol. He got a good mouthful of water and was hacking it up. He is hilarious.

• cawaps

When I read the forecast (this was probably Friday) for the storm surge (when I think they were forecasting only up to 15 feet instead of the 23 feet they got), I looked up elevation maps of the Bahamas and found this. It looks like 80% of the land is less than 20 feet above sea level. And in the 38 hours Dorian was on top of the islands they would have had at least 3 high tides. That's devastating without the wind.

• blfenton

I was just watching some live pictures taken from Bahamas (I didn't catch where) and the area is flattened, absolute devastation.

• Raye Smith

Looks very similar to the destruction I remember seeing in Biloxi after Camille (August of "69).

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX

Cameron, Louisiana was literally wiped off the map after Rita. There was nothing left standing. Even the concrete and roads were gone. Horrible destruction. The pictures of the Bahamas I have seen are so similar.

• Elmer J Fudd

I'm saddened and sympathetic for deaths and suffering/fear the poor folks in these mostly poor island nations have to go through when these disasters hit. Those who live in hurricane zones and have little choice in the matter. I will be sending some money to the International Red Cross and hope it to be a small contribution for what will be a tremendous amount of work to restore normalcy.

Somehow people on the mainland of the US seem a different story to me. Those in low-lying coastal areas like Louisiana and elsewhere that experience hurricane devastation with some regularity. No one deserves bad luck or to have life changing catastrophes but when people choose to live in these areas with known and predictable risks, I'm not sure what people who have chosen safer locations ought to do or think about it. That is, when these tragedies that are to be expected do happen.

Any ideas?

• Oakley

No one would believe me if I told the story without proof, although it was on the national news for several hours straight. Hurricane Erin had just went north of Texas and we knew it would rain here in OK. Little did we know we'd end up smack dab in the eye of the hurricane, labeled Catagory 2.

Who would have thought?

• Oakley

DH and I got up when it happened, made coffee, then sat through the winds. Lost power for about 30 min. The next morning DS called, who lived about 20 min. away, said to me, "What the HE!! did I just sleep through? lol

• Elmer J Fudd

"had just went north.."?

I think hurricanes stop being hurricanes when they're no longer over the water and move over land. Winds and rainfall amounts decrease. I think they continue with the description of being a tropical storm, sure.

You're safe from hurricanes in Oklahoma though not from other violent weather, as you well know.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX

The eye of the storm, Dorian.

• chispa

I'll take hurricanes over earthquakes! You get no warning when those earthquakes hit and even more scary if that is how you are jolted from sleep in the middle of the night. Been through a couple, luckily none that were too big. Also the big danger after a large earthquake is the rupturing of gas lines and the sparking of major fires, with no one to help put them out.

• Raye Smith

I agree Chispa, I'd much rather deal with a hurricane. I've seen several hurricanes move through the middle of the country.

Hurricane Hazel made landfall in North Carolina and was still a hurricane when it reached Toronto.

• Oakley

Yes, technically a tropical storm. Nevertheless, it looked and felt like a real hurricane.

Chispa, due to oil and gas we now get earthquakes. We've had several where the house shook. When I was in my 20's, we had a dust storm, tornado's, then snow in one day.

• Elmer J Fudd

Okay, so it's the technical nomenclature. From NOAA:

" A tropical cyclone is a rotating low-pressure weather system that has organized thunderstorms but no fronts (a boundary separating two air masses of different densities). Tropical cyclones with maximum sustained surface winds of less than 39 miles per hour (mph) are called tropical depressions. Those with maximum sustained winds of 39 mph or higher are called tropical storms. When a storm's maximum sustained winds reach 74 mph, it is called a hurricane."

When a tropical cyclone has high sustained winds, that's the magic trigger to be called a hurricane. When wind speed drops, as when it passes over land or fizzles out over cooler water, the technical term changes.

• Elmer J Fudd

Hurricanes happen every year. Some areas along the Gulf and SE Atlantic coasts have the misfortune to be hit repeatedly with not so many years in between. Property damage is often significant, with major areas inundated by flooding from heavy rainfall and the storm surge where there's landfall. Deaths and injuries of people and animals also result.

Earthquakes by comparison are very infrequent and usually cause little damage. Not to tempt fate but in my area the last major earthquake was 30 years ago. There were about 50 deaths from people who had the bad luck of being in or near structures that were inadequately or improperly built. Everyone else in an area of, what, some 5 million or so were at worst inconvenienced to a greater or lesser degree and some not at all. There was property damage here and there but nothing like what happens to coastal properties in a hurricane when the sea rises 10 or 20 feet.

I'm happy to live in Earthquake Country instead of places where weather is too frequently violent and very dangerous.

• OklaMoni

Elmer, I get your point.

I would LOVE to live near the coast.... cause I love water, and areas like the east coast, Florida and South Texas would be awesome for my aching joints.

BUT, those are low lying areas with a GREAT chance of HUGE water damage, and they are also really expensive in so many ways... such as property costs, living expenses and HUGE insurance premiums.

This is why I am still here, in the middle of Oklahoma. It's affordable.

Moni

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b

FWIW, frequent low barometric pressure from storms is often a factor for my own and others' aching joints/headaches here on the Gulf coast, so maybe not as ideal as you think, OklaMoni?

• OklaMoni

Carol, I know, not so ideal. I would not be able to afford my own house, and while I was there for 2 month in 2016 I realized, how much more my car insurance was going to be... besides, all the other normal day to day expenses...

• bpath Oh Sophie

I’ve never been in any natural disaster of that scale, although we’ve had wind shear, tremors, horrible storms. But I think I’d take tornado. You get some warning (well, usually), and it’s over quickly, usually followed by nice weather so you can get to restoration faster. And even if your house is destroyed, your neighbor’s might be intact and he might lend you his chain saw and tarps.

• 3katz4me

I was just thinking I'm happy with my natural disasters compared with this hurricane business. An occasional tornado, some severe thunderstorms with hail and high winds and an occasional blizzard. It seems like nothing compared to what people face with hurricanes. Tornadoes can be devastating but the path is usually quite narrow which doesn't help those in the path but at least fewer people are impacted.

• Oakley

Elmer, I realize it wasn't a hurricane, but humor us Oklahoman's, okay? What happened was an anomaly. We call it a hurricane. :)

After reading a few weather websites about Erin, it was classified as a tropical depression until it got to OK. It was then classified as a tropical storm with sustained winds at 82 mph. "Isolated surface gusts exceeded hurricane force winds." There was one death, and severe flooding.

During the time the eye went over us, we were without power. I remember telling my DH we are in the eye of a "hurricane." Power came back shortly and lo and behold, I was right. It was the most surreal thing I've ever experienced.

• Elmer J Fudd

Maybe my funny bone had no vibration ability left in it after reading your comment and the other one about a hurricane in Toronto. (not).

• blfenton

For those of us in the PNW we don't have hurricanes but in the fall of 1962 we went through Typhoon (hurricane) Freda that came from the western Pacific moving east to the coast of Oregon, Washington and BC. I don't remember it but I think it's still the biggest storm we've ever gone through. Fifty people died and the sustained winds and rainfall were record setting for this area.

• justerrilynn

Maybe I’ll transplant from where I live now to one of the areas in white or 2nd best “tan” when husband retires.

For the view above, elevations below 5 meters (16 feet) above sea level have been colored blue, and lighter blue indicates elevations below 10 meters (33 feet). This is a dramatic demonstration of how Florida’s low topography, especially along the coastline, make it especially vulnerable to flooding associated with storm surges. Planners can use data like these to predict which areas are in the most danger and help develop mitigation plans in the event of particular flood events.

• Lars

The difference between hurricane, typhoon, and cyclone:

The only difference between a hurricane, a cyclone, and a typhoon is the location where the storm occurs.

<Hurricanes,
    cyclones, and typhoons are all the same weather phenomenon; we just use
    different names for these storms in different places. In the Atlantic
    and Northeast Pacific, the term “hurricane” is used. The same type of
    disturbance in the Northwest Pacific is called a “typhoon” and
    “cyclones” occur in the South Pacific and Indian Ocean.>

I've been to the South Pacific and took my chances by going during cyclone season. Shortly after I left, a cyclone did hit the island that I visited.

I've been close to a few hurricanes, but more tropical storms. I've been in a couple of very large earthquakes, and they are less scary than hurricane or tornadoes to me. Check the risk factor. Earthquakes are more dangerous in countries that do not have proper building codes, but they can also be more dangerous in the U.S. in states that are not properly prepared. I was in a 7.6 quake in Mexico City in 1979 that happened right after a lunar eclipse, but only 5 people died in that one. The Mexican earthquake in 1985 was much worse.