Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vintageawv

Should I paint lower cabinets a darker color or keep white?

vintageawv
4 years ago

I'm going to make a simple cosmetic update to our kitchen to surprise my wife while she's out of town. We have a laminate countertop and a two-bowl kitchen sink. I'm going to replace the countertop with speckle dark gray solid surface, replace the sink with a single deep bowl and new faucet and then add a basic subway backsplash.

I'm wondering opinions on painting the lower cabinets or keeping them white? Our walls are turquoise and wondering if the dark cabinets would clash, or make the countertop and tiles stick out more?

Comments (22)

• lucky998877
    4 years ago

What a nice hubby you are! I would go with the counter, sink changes first, and then re-evaluate. I love the look of dark lowers/white uppers but in your case it might overwhelm the space...you would probably need to lighten up the walls then. Good luck!

• PRO
    Carolina Kitchen & Bath
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

You're going to surprise your wife? Have you talked to her about these things and does she want a solid surface countertop and a single bowl sink? Is she the one who cooks or do you do the bulk of the cooking and cleanup? Those are the questions.

First, the teal really dominates that room and I wouldn't throw another color in with it. Keep the cabinets all one color.

Second, why solid surface? Quartz might be more expensive but it's a better surface that's easier to care for and is very stain and heat resistant, unlike solid surface.

Third, add a valance above the sink, attached to the bottom of the cabinet. Seeing the light source is really obnoxious and the valance will do a lot to give that area a finished look.

Fourth, yes, go with the backsplash. I think that's the only safe job in this plan.

Seriously, have you talked to her? This has nightmare written all over it if you haven't.

• PRO
    Sativa McGee Designs
    4 years ago

The dark base cabinets add depth and contrast to the space.:)

• lucky998877
    4 years ago

The island color would be easier to change. The cabinet paint will take days to cure enough for use.

• Momofthree Ma
    4 years ago

I would leave it all white and re-evaluate after the changes...she’s going to be so happy! Nice idea!

• Haley
    4 years ago

The easiest cosmetic enhancement would be a new wall color.

• decoenthusiaste
    4 years ago

All white and while you're at it consider installing LED track lights instead of the fan and directing them to wash the cabinet fronts, stove area and island top.

• vintageawv
    Original Author
    4 years ago

The picture I used is a little dated. We have since got stainless steel appliances, installed a nice ceiling fan and removed the window AC unit. The picture is also a little dark. Lastly, when there is daylight pouring into the kitchen via the windows and entry door to the backyard the kitchen is very bright. We love the teal/turquoise walls too. Not sure if we are ready to part with the color yet. Thanks for the comments!

• PRO
    Anglophilia
    4 years ago

I love solid surface countertops and have had Glacier White Corian ones now for 34 years. There is only one problem with solid surface, regardless of brand: when it scratches (and it will), it scratches white. I’d take that sample and try to scratch it and see if you still like it.

Personally, I’d go with white solid surface and an integrated solid surface big single sink. My Corian sink is the best sink I’ve ever had! It’s SO easy to keep clean and it never shows hard water spots. I think all white with your wall color would be smashing, and if you someday tire of it, you can then choose any color!

• Yayagal
    4 years ago

I have solid surfaces and they're great and never feel cold to the touch. Do what you love. I have no idea of a valence over a sink, it seems odd. I would leave the white cabs, they perk up the room. I'd get the countertop installed and then match the gray to a paint color a shade deeper and do the kitchen island.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    4 years ago

Geez don't make it any darker in that kitchen. If you want to improve the appearance repaint the walls with a lighter color paint. It will still have impact but will reflect light in the room better.

It will look like a completely new room.

• Susan S
    4 years ago

I love your wall color and your white cabinets! I put solid surface countertops in my kitchen when I remodeled it 10 years ago, and I love them. They look just as good as the day they were installed. Mine are a light gray with speckles of black, white, and darker gray. We are hoping to build a new house next year, and we plan to put in solid surface countertops again. I agree with the previous comments about making the changes you propose before deciding on painting the cabinets. I think it's going to look great, and it's very sweet of you to surprise your wife!

• PRO
    Carolina Kitchen & Bath
    4 years ago

There's been some improvements made since solid surface came out and you should check out granite or quartz. They can both lend some drama, but I suggest quartz to many people because it doesn't stain and won't scorch like laminate or solid surface. Most people use an undermount stainless sink and for cooking etc, stainless is the material that wears best (IMHO).

Marina Home · More Info

Culcatta Quartz Countertop · More Info

Pierce Street · More Info

• Gcubed
    4 years ago

following

• groveraxle
    4 years ago

Well, vintageawv, if you'd like to upload a current photo of your kitchen, I'd be happy to paint your lower cabinets for you so you can see how they look. But I'm not gonna do it on a picture that's out of date.

• acm
    4 years ago

but... he already did it! :)

I'd say stay light, both because of the strong paint color and because painting cabinets is not a small project that can be wedged into a short trip -- you'd want a sprayer in an empty garage just to get a decent finish. The rest of the changes will feel like a complete overhaul, and you can always consider at leisure whether anything more is needed.

• jemimabean
    4 years ago

I love the all white cabinets in your kitchen and think they’d look great with the solid surface counter (I’m also a fan) that you picked. At first I was like eek, he should not make these changes without his wife’s input, but it sounds like you’re the one who uses the kitchen the most and that you’ve had a running dialogue about it for a while, so now I’m Team Wife Surprise.

But definitely don’t dive into painting the cabinets.

• vintageawv
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks for all the comments. I chose to go quartz instead of solid surface. I'm getting Uptown Gray https://www.hanstonequartz.com/products/uptown-gray 

Here is the current turquoise color of the kitchen wall, Gem Turquoise.

Taking the advice of most, I've determined a new color scheme for the kitchen going with a lighter turquoise/aqua.

I plan to paint the lower cabinets the light gray (Pixel White) color and then leave the upper cabinets white. The darker gray to the left is the quartz.

The new question now is should I stick with the brushed nickel hardware and faucet, or go matte black to give some more contrast??

• PRO
    Sativa McGee Designs
    4 years ago

Stick with brushed nickel.

• katinparadise
    4 years ago

following

• Yayagal
    4 years ago

brushed nickel

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!