Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bob_f8

when is the best time to overseed in eastern PA

Bob F
4 years ago

sorry if this is a double post I thought I posted this yesterday couldn't find it. when is the best time I can overseed after aerating in eastern PA would it be now? further can I put down the remainder of my weed and feed over top the aeration and overseeding? thanks a million

Comments (14)

• morpheuspa (6B/7A, E. PA)
    4 years ago

Now would be the best time to overseed. (Actually, you could have gone about ten days ago when the weather started to break off the horrible heat we had--I'm in the Lehigh Valley). Don't go later than September 15th or the seed often doesn't have enough time to grow in before winter hits, particularly if it has bluegrass in the mix.

And no, don't use the weed and feed over the top. The herbicide has the chance of damaging the seed and can't be used from seeding until after the third mow on the new grass--which won't be until May of next year at the earliest.

(The fact that weed and feed isn't particularly effective is an argument for another thread).

Depending on the mix you're using, you'll need to irrigate the new seed three times daily for a period of 2 weeks to 1 full month. If it has bluegrass in there, one month. If not, 2 weeks. Everything else sprouts fast. Bluegrass is very slow.

• Bob F
    Original Author
    4 years ago

yes I don't really have weeds but I just use weed and feed for feeding purposes because I generally get it a lot cheaper this time of year had good luck in the past....two that's not a problem though I'll hold off feeding however do you think I should put the weed and feed or just fertilizer down late October or just hold off till spring.... or must I get starter fertilizer?

My front lawn has nutsedge and I'm about to spray it with this Ortho product It says wait a month for overseeding so it sort of feels like it's going to be too late in the season to overseed my front lawn. Or should I overseed the front lawn and just assume nothing will germinate where the nutsedge killer is?

FYI this isn't a new grass being installed no bare spots nothing like that just simple overseeding.

4 years ago

If you spot-spray the nutsedge, count on spotty germination in those areas.

When fertiilzing in October, use a regular fertilizer. The Weed and Feed will kill new grass. Not all of it...but it'll weaken the remaining grasses just before winter arrives as well. Which really isn't a good idea. Regular fertilizer is fine, it need not be starter.

• Bob F
    Original Author
    4 years ago

thanks I think I have a plan I'll spray the nutsedge...aerate... overseed... and later in the fall put down some fertilizer. yeah sure some of the seed may not terminate but to be honest I got it late last year... too late to put down... who knows if it'll even grow this year but what the heck I've got it I might as well put it down thank you....

• Bob F
    Original Author
    4 years ago

hey one other question... I just bought the nutsedge killer by Ortho that has to hook to the hose... which I find to be a pain in the a$$.. since it's going to hit grass it doesn't have the sedge it for sure... am I better off getting that sedgeHammer mix stuff that you put in your 1 gallon sprayer and doing it that way? the downside is I might not get to spray the nutsedge till next week if I go with the sedgehammer?

4 years ago

That'd be fine, too. I use Tenacity myself, which takes out sedge and wouldn't harm some seed (and can be applied during seeding of KBG, but not so much fescue or rye).

The sedges won't run rampant in a week or anything and try to take over and can be left that long. And again, any area you spray will have spotty germination or no germination.

• Bob F
    Original Author
    4 years ago

thanks for your thoughts... one last consideration... there are some areas where the sedge is that really need to be seaded... am I better off killing the sedge... or seading now.. establishing some grass... and in the spring or summer going after the sedge...tx!

4 years ago

I'd probably wipe the sedge now and take my chances with the seed. It's not like it won't sprout, it's just that sprout percentages will be reduced.

• Bob F
    Original Author
    4 years ago

:)

• dchall_san_antonio
    4 years ago

Nutgrass is a swamp loving sedge. It needs lots of water to thrive. You can't do much about Mother Nature, but if you are in charge of watering, I've found that deep and infrequent watering will control nutgrass very well. Control, in this sense, does not mean total eradication - it means the nutgrass goes away until conditions are right again. I can live with that.

4 years ago

Welcome to Pennsylvania, where you just described our weather ten months a year. Sedges do pretty durned well here most of the time and spread like crazy.

• Bob F
    Original Author
    4 years ago

never had it in our area before. We did have a lot of drenching rain this summer though perhaps that was the cause...

4 years ago

Had it for years in lawn and garden. :-) Besides, your seeds had to come from somewhere...