jamie_z7bhz8

Veggie Tales - September 2019

Jamie
September 1, 2019

Summer is coming to an end. How did your gardens do this season? What are your plans for fall and winter? Happy September, everyone!

• Jamie

Thanks, Jack! The cabbages and Brussels sprouts that I put put a month or so ago have been hit by some pests (and a couple of mourning doves!) also- but BT seems to have fixed that (except for the doves).

• Jamie

Thinking ahead to next Spring- based on the relatively poor luck I've had with peppers the last couple of years, I think that next season I will plant them all in containers with a really good potting mix. I am not sure why, but (aside from the Espelettes) they just have not done well in our beds. I think that part of the problem is that I am planting them too early. I may wait until after May 1 next season.

We had good luck with the straw bales, but I don't think I'll use them again. We are going to convert that space to traditional raised beds. It was a fun experiment and we did get a lot of squash from them, but I don't think the process was worth the effort.

I am going to do a better job at controlling pests on beans. This year's bean crop was barely satisfactory and our pole beans just didn't produce well.

Aside from a couple of varieties from Wild Boar Farms (Mike saw some photos of Brad's Atomic Grape Tomatoes and said WHY AREN'T WE GROWING THOSE??) we will try all dwarf tomato varieties next season. I've been combing through Craig LeHoullier's reviews of all the DTP Releases and choosing a few that I would like to try - and I need to re-read the things that Jack and others have posted about their experiences also. I'm also going to try a Centiflor Tomato, just for fun https://www.siskiyouseeds.com/products/tomato-red-centiflor )

I will definitely grow tromboncino squash again. They produced well, resisted pests well and taste good. I hate to say it, but I will also continue the "nuclear" approach to pest control on squashes next season. We were careful with spraying and managed to get a really good crop (the first good one in years).

I probably won't plant Malabar Spinach again- I was the only one who would eat it and I can use that space for something that we both (and the extended family) like. If I do plant it, I will put it along a fence row to use as an ornamental. The "berries" were pretty and it seems that birds liked them.

I will grow Honeynut Butternut squash again also. They were delicious!

New things I will try next season:

Italiko Rosso Dandelion and French Dandelion - I like the flavor of the greens. It seems insane to cultivate dandelions but I like them haha https://www.rareseeds.com/italiko-rosso-dandelion/?WishlistItemId=1736153 https://www.rareseeds.com/french-dandelion/?WishlistItemId=1736154

Tahitian Melon Squash https://www.rareseeds.com/tahitian-melon-squash-/?WishlistItemId=1737427

Chinese Multicolor Spinach https://www.rareseeds.com/chinese-multicolor-spinach-a/?WishlistItemId=1736159

Red Roselle Hibiscus https://www.rareseeds.com/red-roselle/?WishlistItemId=1784198 - I love hibiscus plants of all varieties- when I was a kid we (and my grandmother) had lots of Altheas/Rose of Sharons growing and I've tried to keep that tradition alive. We also have a few other hardy hibiscus plants (including Confederate Roses) and I've grown one that has beautiful burgundy foliage.

• cindy_7

Jamie - Thank for posting the links to the various varieties that you hope to grow next year. That squash looks fantastic! It's in my cart now.

I also planted (a few weeks ago) the Chinese Multi-colored Spinach though at this point I cannot tell which seedlings they are. Forgot to chart it and I also planted regular spinach at the same time.

• Jamie

I'll be interested in what you think about the multi-colored spinach, Cindy!

• RD Texas

Jamie, you might be on to something. Ant type of pepper I have ever tried to grow here has been at least successful enough to get one pod (karma) and it is always hot here. I have grown a few in the ground but the vast majority have been in containers. I had a ghost pepper plant that I got over 600 pods (5 years) any maybe closer to 800 and it was in a container. The other thing is that most pepper plants live 3-5 years, so if they are in a container one can move them indoors if desired. Extreme cold will kill them but it takes a real freeze to kill the super hot varieties especially the ones from India. Bell pepper plants on the other extreme will freeze in about 10-12 hours of 29 degree weather.

Jamie thanked RD Texas
  • Jamie

Thanks for the information, Richard!

• John D Zn6a PIT Pa

I thought my inability to grow peppers was my climate. But you guys are making me think it's something else. I have clay, acid soil, not full sun ..........

• LoneJack Zn 6a, KC

Jamie - I think you will have better luck growing the dwarf tomatoes in containers. I've never grown a pepper in a container but I may give it a shot next year. Peppers are finicky in my garden. Some do great all year long and others seem to struggle to get going and don't set much early fruit. There never seems to be any rhyme or reason for it as they are usually all in the same bed or beds.

Right now pretty much all of my peppers are finally going strong and setting like crazy. Only the bananas and poblanos have produced well all season. The Hungarian was doing great until I nearly killed it by pulling some kind of super weed that came up right next to it. It's still alive and producing a little but that really set in back.

ETA: this was originally above John's post but I had to copy and edit it due to typos and edit post is not working. I deleted the original post.

• Jamie

Jack- how well did your dwarfs produce for you?

• LoneJack Zn 6a, KC

Jamie - they averaged about 5 lbs. per plant but a couple of them produced a little over 6. I don't think I'd go by my results this year though since it was my first year with dwarfs and the ones in the ground were some of the first to get Septoria because they were in a shadier area. I know I can do better next year just growing them in containers away from the main garden.

I want to up my game on growing dwarfs because a few years down the road when I am retired and we move down to the lake I will probably have a much smaller garden.

I think Cindy has more experience with dwarfs and might be able to give you a better idea what to expect.

Jamie thanked LoneJack Zn 6a, KC
  • RD Texas

Tony, the Mycostop stop is the best discovery I have ever made in gardening. Remember last year I had the evil Southern bacterial wilt (still scared to even write it down in print) that ravaged over 100 tomato plants and eventually destroyed everything. I haven't had a single case of it this year. It is like a miracle to me and I will use it on all my tomatoes that I grow in the future. Sure would be nice if it worked on Septoria and mold.

• cindy_7

Jack - I'm no expert on dwarf tomatoes. However, two of the most productive dwarf varieties I've ever grown have been around since before the Dwarf Tomato Project.

Polish Dwarf (red saladette tomato) and Golden Dwarf Champion (a golden tomato, obviously).

Jamie, I can send you seeds for both of these varieties.

The most productive ones from this year are Dwarf Tennessee Suited and Dwarf Maralinga.

I have a confessions to make: I pretty much planted two dwarf tomato plants together (of the same variety) in the same hole.

Jamie thanked cindy_7
  • cindy_7

Did someone here say that they grew Druzba this year?

If so, did you save seeds to share?

We hit 91 here today. Now it's raining and I hope it continues! Temp is down to 84.

Make that 82.

• RD Texas

Cindy I got two Druzba tomatoes this year but didn't get seeds as I was expecting more. I have one plant still alive but it looks pretty rough. That is the best tomato I have ever tasted in my life and I still have a few seeds I think from Burpee maybe Park seeds. Can't wait to relocate and try to grow them in a different climate

• Jamie

Thanks, Cindy!!

I wish we could get come rain- but there's none in the forecast until Sunday (probably). I think it's been close to 3 weeks since we had any.

• cindy_7

Today is my grandson's birthday, the love of my life!!

• Jamie

Happy Birthday to him! Two of my nephews have birthdays today also - one is 14 and the other is 20-something - I’ve lost count. Hahaha

• RD Texas

Cindy, today is my aunt's birthday too

• RD Texas

I just saw 4 Orioles on my hummingbird feeders today and have been trying to get a picture for a few hours with no luck but I got plenty hummingbird pictures

• 14tomatoes_md_7a

RD, love those beautiful Baltimore Orioles -- our birds! Their yellow plumage is spectacular!

• RD Texas

Tony two of them looked almost orange. Got to get a picture but they are very shy. I have 4 or 5 different types of hummingbirds this year too. The pictures with my phone are pretty crappy so I used a real camera-hopefully they are better

• 14tomatoes_md_7a

Richard, nail a halved orange like this, and they'll land on it to feed.

• LoneJack Zn 6a, KC

Cindy - A belated happy birthday to your grandson! How young is he? 2 tomatoes in a single hole? SMH hahaha. I'm thinking about planting 3 dwarfs in a 20 gallon smart pot next spring.

I love when the Orioles visit. Here they usually show up in late April and are gone by June 1. I've built several Oriole feeders that have a wood screw at each end for orange halves and then a small dish in the middle for grape jelly. Sometimes we will have a couple dozen at a time in the spring. Their arrival in the fall is not as predictable here and they don't stay as long.

The feeders I make look something like this except they are all wood and there is only one jelly dish in the middle. They sure make a lot of racket squabbling over the feeders.

• cindy_7

Jamie - Happy Birthday to your nephews.

RD - Happy Birthday to your Aunt.

Jack - My grandson was one year old yesterday. I also have a niece who had a birthday yesterday, too.

The rain yesterday wasn't much. About 15/100". No rain at Dulles. We have another shot tonight as more t-storms are predicted later with the arrival of a cold front.

• LoneJack Zn 6a, KC

Cindy - I have a shot tonight too - Shingrix. haha. First one of the 2 shot series.

We also have a chance of rain this afternoon and evening.

• RD Texas

Happy Birthday to your nephew

• cindy_7

That sounds like fun, Jack. :-)

• itsmce (zone 6b, Kansas)

Hoping for rain here too. It's in the forecast, but I fear I'm going to get missed. Again.

I spent the morning with my 17-month old grandson yesterday. His momma told me he might be ready for nap a bit early. Guess I waited a bit too long to give him lunch - I caught him drifting off to sleep in his highchair at 11:30. :-) Happy birthday to your grandbaby, Cindy.

Jamie - You are certainly on the ball! Already planning the spring garden. The peer pressure is so strong in this group.

Richard - Good luck getting a good picture of the Oriole!

Jack - Good luck with the shot! Worth it to NOT get the shingles. They're torture. I know.

Jamie thanked itsmce (zone 6b, Kansas)
  • Jamie

Margi- thanks hahaha but I think I am better at planning and dreaming than I am at executing a plan. HAHAHAHA

• John D Zn6a PIT Pa

We had scrambled eggs with pole beans from the garden for breakfast. Finally managed to get some in spite of the rabbits!

• John D Zn6a PIT Pa

Cindy- I sent you a msg about the Polish Jenn.

Kevin-I tried to msg you concerning my order for free apple, pear and cherry scions.

• LoneJack Zn 6a, KC

Margi - I hope I don't have any side affects from the vaccine but I know I do not want to get shingles!

John - Never had green beans for breakfast before! I'll be picking my fall beans tomorrow morning. I got a few last weekend but I looked last night and both the Maxibel fillet and Dragon's tongue plants were loaded. I didn't feel like harvesting in 90+ degree heat so they will have to wait a bit longer. Deer pruned a few of the plants back a couple weeks ago when a storm blew over part of my temporary fencing but they have recovered pretty well.

Jamie - you're ahead of me on planning. I am in the process of making my tomato plans and a draft of my bed rotation but that's about it so far. IF I plant any squash next year I'll be going the nuclear route as well. Squash bugs be d@mned!

• cindy_7

DC broke a high temp record today, 97 degrees. My sensor here at home only hit 91, Dulles 94.

Much cooler tomorrow. It looks like it may be the end of our 90 degree days, but you never know.

But, the Farmer's Almanac says it will be a rough winter.

• RD Texas

Jack I was going to get that vaccination too but they told me I can't have any live vaccine so now I have to worry about shingles all the time. I had chickenpox for 2 weeks when I was a child-really bad. Of course when I was a kid they had chickenpox parties so all the kids would get it. That is how I got it

• RD Texas

Rufus Hummingbird

• RD Texas

Trade Winds Fruit $27-free delivery-Red Pear free with order

• cindy_7

Richard - Several of the tomato varieties that you ordered I could have sent to you. Please just ask here.

• John D Zn6a PIT Pa

Kevin

Did they cancel the farmers market or move it?

• cindy_7

High temperature during the day today: 70 degrees. I actually got chilly. And it's already falling.

• Jamie

Oh wow, Cindy. It’s still hot here - still in the 90s. It’s 92 or so right now at 6:30 pm

• cindy_7

John - I could be wrong, but isn't Kevin's farmer's market on Saturday?

Jamie - We won't be able to see the harvest moon tonight because it's still overcast.

• John D Zn6a PIT Pa

Cindy

You're right, a senior moment. But the questions are still very relevant.

I picked a ripe Dester tomato an hour before dinner. About the size of my hand, length wise. Excellent taste, very full flavor.

Len NW 7a

Today's photos...went to pick up a load of steer manure (they compost it and mix with sawdust so nice to work with) and other shopping so no fun in garden except to take these:

Hard to see them but this poblano pepper is covered; chili rellenos here we come.

Color coming up on goat sac tomato yeah!

I picked one of these upright peppers; had the plant misnamed I think they are lipstick. It was very sweet and fleshy.

• Jamie

I hope we get some heads on the cabbages. Our Brussels Sprouts are growing pretty slowly also

Garden · More Info

Garden · More Info

I’m giving the seedlings some time in full sun this morning. Many of them are pretty much ready for transplanting.

Garden · More Info

Garden · More Info

Garden · More Info

Garden · More Info

Given our forecast though, I’ll probably just have to pot them up and wait a few more weeks. The temperatures will be hot - in the 90s until at least next weekend.

Edit- according to accuweather.com, it will be in the 90s and high 80s until around the 26th. I think I’ll just wait until then to transplant them , unless I see that they’re getting too root-bound.

• jacoblockcuff (z6 NW Arkansas - Hz7 - Sunset z35)

Planning for spring is not something I’ve begun yet hahaha. I actually do enjoy planning the garden though, and I always look forward to it. The challenge is finding the time to do so!!

September 12th is the day our area has seen its earliest first frost. Meanwhile, this year, it’s still holding upper 80’s/lower 90’s this week, still no sign of a cool down in my 10 day forecast.

Im picking up the tractor that runs my tiller and sickle bar mower today. I bought a complete, running 25HP twin cylinder horizontal shaft and two 20HP twin cylinder parts engines, as well as 2 sets of wheels for $300 from a guy locally this past week. The twin cylinder goes in the Massey, the bigger tractor I’m picking up today, and I’m going to throw the Massey’s motor into the Allis Chalmers I picked up a few weeks ago, which is my new mowing rig. The Massey should make a great little tractor to use around the property and gardens. I’m going to build a loader for it next. If I can pick up a small piece of property to start a market garden on at some point, that Massey will come in real handy. That sickle bar mower would REALLY work well for cutting down cover crops, and that plough and tiller should really tear up the ground with that 25HP motor. The transmissions, Sunstrand 90’s, seem to be in good shape.

Kevin, I seem to recall you used a little Wheel Horse 416-H to start your gardens?

Tony, those are some beautiful pictures, the birds. We tried feeding the birds for a while last winter, but it got to be too much money to feed the little pigs!

• 14tomatoes_md_7a

Picked all ripe large Casper eggplants today -- enough to fill a 12 quart pot. A few small ones were left with just a few blossoms (so, might get a few more by early October).

Tony

• John D Zn6a PIT Pa

I weeded and turned over enough soil to plant a short row of Scarlet Nantes carrots and two 8 foot rows of Black Seeded Simpson lettuce. I think it's too late for the carrots, but I'm experimenting to see what happens and possibly overwintering them. Kevin inspired idea. I planted carrots earlier, mid July, I think, and got nuttin.

I fixed an old brass hose nozzle, by cleaning out a lot of leafs, pine needles and whatnot inside. I used an old wire pick from the days when computers had wire wrapped 30 gauge solid conductor wires connecting on the back of the main board or motherboard. Wouldn't mention that except so many of you are computer folk

Jacob- I'm envious of that tiller, not to mention a loader. I could use a loader to load my horse manure into a pickup truck. I'd be really full of it then!!

• itsmce (zone 6b, Kansas)

Richard - The humming birds must love you with all the nectar you supply them! I just was hearing a tap, tap, tap outside my house. Finally I got up to investigate and saw a bird pecking at the corner of the window. It moved around to the other side of the house. By the time I got my camera out, changed the lens, and went outside, of course the bird was gone. It was pretty small. Black and white were the colors I could see from inside. Sorry to hear you can't get the shingles vaccine. I'll hope you don't get a case of shingles.

Not too much exciting going on here. I pulled out a couple more tomatoes this morning. It is certainly beginning to be garden-clean-up time. However the weather doesn't indicate it's time for that. 90's here for the foreseeable future.

• cindy_7

Tony - That's a lot of eggplant!! Will you freeze it in slices?

Today was another fairly cool day here. High of only 80 and overcast the majority of the day. The rain chances keep dropping this evening because the air isn't charged up from heating up. There's another cool front moving through tonight.

Dinner guests just left and again I had lobsters from my chef. Tonight it was lobster rolls. Everyone loved them. Next time I'm going to ask for blue crabs, a DelMaVa tradition here. (Delaware, Maryland and Virginia).

Len NW 7a

Ready for rain

Picked 5+ pounds of ripening tomatoes because we are due for 1" of rain tonight.

Also scoured the NT half runner beans and picked half a dishpan full. Amazing they are still blooming and only a few days from flower to picking size. Everything trying to reproduce. Interesting how the pole beans start setting fruit down near the ground when they feel the weather changing.

Two of my 3 tree collards have broken the light weight tie I had on them and fallen over. So I harvested everything on them and cut them back to about 3' tall. Will use some rebar to stake them this time I think.